Explore the community Forums Lectora Lectora Suggestions Access to SVN file property via variable for version control

Tagged: ,

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Mike Richards
    Mike Richards
    beginner
    intermediate
    friend finder
    contributor
    wise owl
    3 pts
    @Sprockets

My suggestion will only be of value if you happen to be using Subversion (SVN) to keep file versions straight.

I would like to have a variable that contains the value of the WC Revision property added to the .awt file by SVN. This is the latest version number of the .awt as far as Subversion is concerned.

On packaging that variable has its default value set to the current value of the WC Revision number. This hardcodes the package with a specific build number with no human intervention and therefore no possibility of human error.

This would allow us to have a ‘build’ number baked into every package that accurately reflects the source version used to create that product.

I realise that it would only be useful to a few people, that use SVN and also care about version numbers, but I personally would find it extremely useful.

This post has received 1 vote up.
    #306454 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Sergey Snegirev
    Sergey Snegirev
    contributor
    intermediate
    advanced
    friend finder
    lab member
    junior moderator
    advocate
    LUC16
    LUC16 Attendee
    wise owl
    337 pts
    @ssneg

I’d actually expect Lectora to implement basic versioning functionality for everyone, maybe as an enterprise/team feature. This would definitely be possible for the Online version. See latest changes, see who made them, etc.

I also must warn you that if you use Git or SVN, you shouldn’t try to merge parallel edits into a single AWT, because it will mess up the object counter. Lectora uses an incremental counter to assign unique IDs to all new objects, so e.g. if you have the counter at 100, and you create a new page with ID=101, while your colleague creates a new textbox with ID=101, they won’t be able to merge well. If Lectora switched to e.g. UUIDs, this wouldn’t be a problem, and would enable Git/SVN-like distributed development and merging on the fly. Everything else is already in place, like a well-structured XML format for saved files, etc.

#306459 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Jennifer Valley
    Jennifer Valley
    contributor
    beginner
    friend finder
    advanced
    lectora beginner
    verified member
    wise owl
    picture perfect
    curious george
    101 pts
    @jvalley4735

I’ve added it to our suggestion log 🙂

#306461 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Sergey Snegirev
    Sergey Snegirev
    contributor
    intermediate
    advanced
    friend finder
    lab member
    junior moderator
    advocate
    LUC16
    LUC16 Attendee
    wise owl
    337 pts
    @ssneg

@jvalley4735 Is that list public? Would it do good if Lectora’s wishlist was on something like Uservoice? (https://feedback.uservoice.com/forums/1-general-feedback)

#306462 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Jennifer Valley
    Jennifer Valley
    contributor
    beginner
    friend finder
    advanced
    lectora beginner
    verified member
    wise owl
    picture perfect
    curious george
    101 pts
    @jvalley4735

The particular forum is more or less our public list (for Lectora; there is also suggestion forums for Lectora Online and CourseMill). Suggestions can be posted, you can leave comments, and we also have the up-vote feature. I (and other Trivantis staff) take each suggestion and add it into our project tracking software (“log”/”list”) so it can be researched, prioritized, assigned and developed.

#323942 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Mike Richards
    Mike Richards
    beginner
    intermediate
    friend finder
    contributor
    wise owl
    3 pts
    @Sprockets

Hi Sergey,

I haven’t tried the SVN merge mostly because I feared something like that would be an issue. Thanks for confirming it though, because it will save me having to waste (possibly a lot of) time testing trying it out.

Regards,

Mike

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.