Explore the community Forums Lectora Lectora Questions & Answers Audio On/Off Button Lectora and issues in IE8

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Slaine
    Slaine
    @Slaine

Hi there,

I am working on a project which required an audio on/off button so the user could toggle between full audio mode or just text.

I implemented it so I have an action that was calling a javascript function which then referenced the audio object and used the actionMute() function. This works fine in Firefox/IE9 etc but in IE8 when the button is clicked I get a javascript error relating to the trivantis-inline.js file

Object doesn’t support this property or method[/CODE], which seems to relate to this line of code:-

[CODE]this.flsPlayer.sendEvent(‘MUTE’, ‘true’);[/CODE]

Does anyone know of an easy way to implement an audio on/off solution that will work across the main versions of the major browsers?

Help much appreciated.[CODE]Object doesn’t support this property or method[/CODE], which seems to relate to this line of code:-

this.flsPlayer.sendEvent(‘MUTE’, ‘true’);[/CODE]

Does anyone know of an easy way to implement an audio on/off solution that will work across the main versions of the major browsers?

Help much appreciated.[CODE]this.flsPlayer.sendEvent(‘MUTE’, ‘true’);[/CODE]

Help much appreciated.

#306457 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Gilbert Blankenship
    Gilbert Blankenship
    beginner
    intermediate
    friend finder
    contributor
    wise owl
    1 pt
    @blankgm

I would say that any answer you are given depends upon your definition of “easy”.

We implement this through user interaction (in your case you use a button, in ours we use a check box) and a variable (Audio) which is set when the user selects sound to be On or Off.

On each page instead of just placing an audio file with an auto play set, we use an Action item which is set to play the audio on page load if the Variable Audio is set to TRUE.

This form of implementation works across all browsers as the determination to play, or not, is made by Lectora and not through HTML which then has to be interpreted by the browser.

Also depending on which version of Lectora you are using you could have significant issues with IE.  We tell our users to avoid IE.

#309168 Score: 0
    Profile photo of The AV-ator
    The AV-ator
    advanced
    contributor
    beginner
    intermediate
    friend finder
    wise owl
    curious george
    picture perfect
    Group Member
    6 pts
    @TheAv-ator

Given that the original post is from 2013, I hope he figured something out.

However, for new people finding the post, in Lectora V16 there is an action for Mute Media and one for Unmute Media. So he could just create 2 small buttons, one to mute, one to unmute and set his audio as the target. Then you just have a simple button with 1 action that works on a page by page basis.

You could even set the global level early in the course to make all pages muted or unmuted (as @blankgm had explained in the previous post) and then use this functionality on a page level to override that setting.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.