Explore the community Forums Lectora Lectora Suggestions Auto start audio control via variable

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of approg
    approg
    beginner
    intermediate
    curious george
    wise owl
    contributor
    friend finder
    7 pts
    @approg

Add a new system variable called, say, autoStartAudio and it has these settings:

1. 0 – whatever autostart setting a piece of audio has is what it does
    2. 1 – all audio autostart settings are over written with “do not autostart”
    3. 2 – all audio autostart settings are over written with “do autostart”

I’ve been spending ages coding a title that allows the user to choose whether or not audio autostarts. It would be good if I could just toggle a variable value instead.

This post has received 1 vote up.
    #346366 Score: 1
    Profile photo of Joe Wieloch
    Joe Wieloch
    beginner
    intermediate
    friend finder
    contributor
    LUC16 Attendee
    verified member
    wise owl
    11 pts
    @wheels

Thanks for this use case.  If I were approaching this problem I would probably do this:

1. Keep the autostart property unchecked on each audio
    2. Add an On Show – Play action to each audio
    3. Make this action fire conditionally on the value of some variable
    4. This way I could just toggle the value of the variable to enable or disable autostart

Is that how you are handling it and it feels to cumbersome?

This post has received 1 vote up.
    #346458 Score: 0
    Profile photo of approg
    approg
    beginner
    intermediate
    curious george
    wise owl
    contributor
    friend finder
    7 pts
    @approg

Yep, that’s how I’m doing it the moment and it gets even more cumbersome.

For each audio there is a Play and a Pause button. When the audio is playing the Pause button is displayed. When the audio has stopped/paused the Play button is displayed. So I need additional actions to hide/show the play/pause buttons when the page is shown.

#346533 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Sergey Snegirev
    Sergey Snegirev
    contributor
    intermediate
    advanced
    friend finder
    lab member
    junior moderator
    advocate
    LUC16
    LUC16 Attendee
    wise owl
    336 pts
    @ssneg

So I need additional actions to hide/show the play/pause buttons when the page is shown.

Use a player skin instead of a number of custom buttons. Saves a lot of time. Can be customized easily to look the way you need it to look.

#347456 Score: 0
    Profile photo of approg
    approg
    beginner
    intermediate
    curious george
    wise owl
    contributor
    friend finder
    7 pts
    @approg

I’ve had success using CSS to affect player skins but I’ve had no luck building a custom skin. I’ve carefully followed the instructions on building a custom skin but when I load one into Lectora nothing appears. Is there a dummy’s guide somewhere that I can follow?

#348756 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Jason Dalrymple
    Jason Dalrymple
    beginner
    intermediate
    wise owl
    curious george
    contributor
    1 pt
    @JasonADal

I’ve been working on a very similar functionality for my course and have been using separate buttons for both play/pause audio and closed captioning, leaving only the volume and time rail on the default player.

I’ve attached a sample that uses check boxes to set the audio to start on each page. One variable is based on the check box to toggle the user preference, a second variable is used to determine the “state” of the autostart feature. It’s a bit cumbersome with the actions and variables, but it is a reasonable solution for those (like me) not CSS, jQuery or JavaScript saavy.

That said, I also have a custom CSS file that changes the appearance of the default skin with markup in the file that indicates what I’ve changed and how it affects the appearance. There are a couple things I’m still struggling to customize, as noted on the first page with audio, so if someone has ideas on the comments there, I’d be very thankful!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.