Explore the community Forums Designing a course for mobile devices, laptops, and desktops

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of bcondie007
    bcondie007
    1 pt
    @bcondie007

I want to make sure that the course I am developing will be compatible with mobile devices. How do I make sure that it is HTML5 compatible? Or,what are the steps to setting it up right at the beginning?

This post has received 1 vote up.
    #288503 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Sergey Snegirev
    Sergey Snegirev
    contributor
    intermediate
    advanced
    friend finder
    lab member
    junior moderator
    advocate
    LUC16
    LUC16 Attendee
    wise owl
    338 pts
    @ssneg

Lectora outputs valid HTML5 compatible files, so you don’t have to worry about it. You can use Lectora to convert audio and video files to correct formats (MP4), and of course you cannot add any Flash files to your course.

#288505 Score: 0
    bcondie007
    1 pt
    @bcondie007

Thank you very much for the response. Just so I understand correctly, does that mean that there are not any settings I need to mess with in order to get my course to work correctly on any mobile device and also work well with laptops and desktops?

#288502 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Sergey Snegirev
    Sergey Snegirev
    contributor
    intermediate
    advanced
    friend finder
    lab member
    junior moderator
    advocate
    LUC16
    LUC16 Attendee
    wise owl
    338 pts
    @ssneg

No, you don’t have to mess with the settings. But what you absolutely should do is to test, test and test your course. As early as possible.

#288506 Score: 0
    bcondie007
    1 pt
    @bcondie007

What is the industry standard for screen resolution. Again, I am designing a course that needs to be available via laptops, ipads, and other tablets.

Is there a standard resolution screen size? Or, can I go with the 1024 x 768?

Thanks!

#288504 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Jani Sipola
    Jani Sipola
    beginner
    intermediate
    friend finder
    @ummakumma

Hi

Here is an How-To Course: Creating Content for Tablets. The dimensions of that title is 1009×662 but I think you can use the 1024px widht as well.

http://lectora.com/create-mobile-learning-content-ipads/index.html

And here is another useful link https://lectora.com/publish-e-learning-to-ipad-iphone-mobile-learning

I think it is mainly designed for iPad. Other tablet devices have different screen resolutions, but the course can be viewed there too.

But if you design a course to smartphones that is another story. 🙂

#288507 Score: 0
    Profile photo of DarioDoc
    DarioDoc
    @DarioDoc

Personally speaking I think that when you design an e-learning course you should put a tremendous effort in boosting the user experience. This means creating dedicated versions of your courses for different devices. It’s normal that a course developed for desktop or tablet use won’t have a nice user experience on mobile. Developing in HTML5 will surely shorten dev time, but won’t bring the best results.

Hope it was helpful,

Best,

Dario

Digital marketing Manager at Docebo, the global e-learning provider

#304726 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Deirdre McGlynn
    Deirdre McGlynn
    beginner
    intermediate
    curious george
    advanced
    wise owl
    @dmcglynn8112

What solutions have people developed for playing the closed captions of their Lectora elearning on mobile devices?

#314302 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Kevin Stagg
    Kevin Stagg
    beginner
    intermediate
    advanced
    friend finder
    contributor
    curious george
    wise owl
    1 pt
    @kstagg

Here is something I found that should prove very useful for you. It’s a test course created by Lectora:
    How-To-Course: Creating Content for Tablets – A Designer’s Guide

By opening the course within your tablet, and making selections about what elements you will be including within your course, it will recommend the settings you’ll need for your course.

Also, there is this:
    Building Finger-friendly Buttons for m-Learning (Lectora)

Attached please also find a Responsive Course Design Storyboarding Kit put out by Lectora….

Remember – there are many elements you need to consider when developing mobile learning including:

• No flash
    • No drag-drop interactions
    • Export video to MP4

… just to name a few.

Have fun!

• This reply was modified 1 year, 4 months ago by Profile photo of Kevin Stagg Kevin Stagg.
    • This reply was modified 1 year, 4 months ago by Profile photo of Kevin Stagg Kevin Stagg.
    #314308 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Kevin Stagg
    Kevin Stagg
    beginner
    intermediate
    advanced
    friend finder
    contributor
    curious george
    wise owl
    1 pt
    @kstagg

Oh, found this too…

Responsive Course Design in Action: What You Need to Know
    http://community.trivantis.com/knowledge-base/responsive-course-design-action-need-know/

These are for my benefit as well as yours. Still trying to refresh my Publisher skills from the past. :]

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.