Explore the community Forums Lectora Lectora Questions & Answers Forcing Learner to View All Pages

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Tina Hoskins
    Tina Hoskins
    friend finder
    curious george
    wise owl
    beginner
    intermediate
    contributor
    @thoskins4615

How can I force the learner to view the course linearly and not be able to jump forward using the Table of Contents?

#351350 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Alexis Scott
    Alexis Scott
    beginner
    intermediate
    contributor
    advanced
    friend finder
    Group Member
    entry
    entry
    curious george
    2 pts
    @ascott7223

Forgive me for being slow, but do you have to have a TOC?

#351353 Score: 0
    Tina Hoskins
    friend finder
    curious george
    wise owl
    beginner
    intermediate
    contributor
    @thoskins4615

Yes, the client requires a TOC.

#351358 Score: 1
    Profile photo of Jason Dalrymple
    Jason Dalrymple
    beginner
    intermediate
    wise owl
    curious george
    contributor
    3 pts
    @JasonADal

I’m doing this in all of my courses so the TOC is not available unless a specific page in a course has been completed. In my case, I have the TOC initially hidden and have a button that toggles the visibility of the TOC. The buttons have a Hide on page show with a conditional statement:

OnPageShow: Hide
    IF: <page in course> is not completed.

I use the next to last page in the course so that when the learner reaches the last page, the TOC buttons are visible on all pages. You could apply this to the TOC itself as well at the top of the course level using the same method.

This post has received 1 vote up.
    #351370 Score: 0
    Tina Hoskins
    friend finder
    curious george
    wise owl
    beginner
    intermediate
    contributor
    @thoskins4615

Thanks, Jason! I am going to try this. What do you mean by “I use the next to last page in the course …”?

Tina

#351472 Score: 1
    Profile photo of mallow76
    mallow76
    beginner
    intermediate
    contributor
    wise owl
    4 pts
    @mallow76

One way to achieve what you want is simply to place a transparent button above the TOC that covers the areas that you do not want people to skip to. The button could be set up to display a message saying something like ‘These links will become active once you have completed the section’. If your content is spread over different chapters then you would use a transparent button at the top level of each chapter that covers the remaining chapters in your title (if that makes sense?).

This post has received 1 vote up.
    #351487 Score: 0
    Tina Hoskins
    friend finder
    curious george
    wise owl
    beginner
    intermediate
    contributor
    @thoskins4615

Thank you so much for your feedback. This does make sense, and I can see how it will be very useful.

My best,
    Tina

#351557 Score: 0
    Jason Dalrymple
    beginner
    intermediate
    wise owl
    curious george
    contributor
    3 pts
    @JasonADal

By last page, I’m referring to whichever page in the course you want to start allowing the user to access the TOC. For example, you want the learner to go all the way through a test at the end of the course before they can go back. The test lands on a page called “Test Results”, so I would set the IF condition to “Test Results” is not completed.

I can try and post a sample a bit later. I have a template I use for my current course curriculum that does this, except the template doesn’t have a “last page” 🙂

I’m not a fan of the transparent button method, as it creates some potential “wonkiness” with screen readers and tab order for accessibility if you’re not careful about it. Even hiding the TOC with my method is a challenge – I have to group the TOC and the buttons, then set the reading order to last, otherwise the screen reader will start in on the entire TOC and read off each page and the visited state of the page.

#351570 Score: 0
    Jason Dalrymple
    beginner
    intermediate
    wise owl
    curious george
    contributor
    3 pts
    @JasonADal

Here’s the sample – I added some general descriptions and process that I used to build it. Hope it helps!

#352572 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Gary Fisher
    Gary Fisher
    beginner
    intermediate
    wise owl
    curious george
    @AZSafety

Thank you for providing an example. When I get to this page it is not showing the table of contents button. Is it supposed to show in your example? I am trying to complete the same type of function. Thanks again.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.