Explore the community Forums Lectora Lectora Questions & Answers How to automatically go to next question when using Multiple Attempts with Quiz

Tagged: ,

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of alliehh
    alliehh
    @alliehh

I am creating a quiz allowing multiple attempts to answer each question. In order to allow feedback for each attempt, I have set the feedback to be sent “immediately”. This now poses an awkward situation when the user either answers the question correctly, or has run out of attempts which is; when they close the ‘correct’ or ‘maxed attempt’ feedback pop-up, they are still on the same question page and then must figure out that they must click the next button to proceed to the next page.

I would like to create some sort of action that automatically takes the user to the next page upon answering the question correctly, or maxing out attempts, but am struggling to do this.

I tried to create an action with a trigger of “On show” to go to the next page with a condition of when the question variable “is correct” but this does not work. I am struggling because none of the other triggers seem plausible to do it.

Does anyone have any possible ideas of how to achieve this?

#285579 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Altarium
    Altarium
    @Altarium

Instead of having the feedback presented automatically, switch it to show on question process. You can then add a submit button to which you append a second action:
    On Mouse Click->Go To->Next Page->Condition->If Question_000x is correct

This way, the student will select an answer, click a “submit” button, it will give them feedback, and if they get the question right, it will go to the next page. The downside, is that if they max out the attempts without getting the correct answer, it will not auto-advance… in which case you may just want to put something in the max attempt feedback along the lines of “you’ve reached the max number of attempts, please click the “next” button to proceed”.

Not a perfect solution, but hopefully someone else on here may be able to provide better advice!

#285576 Score: 1
    Profile photo of Tim K
    Tim K
    contributor
    beginner
    intermediate
    advanced
    friend finder
    junior moderator
    advocate
    wise owl
    curious george
    Group Member
    216 pts
    @timk

Which version of Lectora are you using to do that?

Lectora 11 allows you to choose from the whole spectrum of actions to use as immediate feedback, incl. Go to Next Page or Run Action Group to count attempts and Go to Next Page if max_attempts is greater than 3.

Tim

This post has received 1 vote up.
    #285578 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Altarium
    Altarium
    @Altarium

Ah right you are, Tim. I haven’t done much with max attempts, and had completely forgotten that v11 lets you do that!

#285581 Score: 0
    Profile photo of davef
    davef
    @davef

@timk 50480 wrote:

Which version of Lectora are you using to do that?

Lectora 11 allows you to choose from the whole spectrum of actions to use as immediate feedback, incl. Go to Next Page or Run Action Group to count attempts and Go to Next Page if max_attempts is greater than 3.

Tim

I’m new at this and I would like to do this, too!

Tim, are you saying that in V11 we can show the immediate feedback text and (only) if the student answered correctly or used their maximum number of attempts, we can automatically advance them to the next page when they dismiss the feedback popup (with no additional key press/click)? How do you catch the dismissal of the feedback popup (so we can conditionally move to the next page)?

Dave

#285577 Score: 1
    Profile photo of Tim K
    Tim K
    contributor
    beginner
    intermediate
    advanced
    friend finder
    junior moderator
    advocate
    wise owl
    curious george
    Group Member
    216 pts
    @timk

I just tested to show a feedback message and to bring the user to the next page if the question was answered correctly.

I created an action group containing two action:

Action: Display Message

Action: Goto
    Target: Next Page

The action group is only run if the correct answer has been selected. See the screenshot of the question wizard.

The Go to action is not executed before the user has clicked “OK” in the message window.

Tim

This post has received 1 vote up.
    #285580 Score: 0
    Profile photo of davef
    davef
    @davef

Excellent!

I’m out of the office today, but I’ll try this soon! Thanks!

#285582 Score: 0
    Profile photo of alliehh
    alliehh
    @alliehh

Thanks Tim!

I have created an Action Group for both the correct answer and the max attempt, and it’s working great!

#301506 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Ari Bloomberg
    Ari Bloomberg
    @abloomberg5365

Just tested this in version 12 and it worked well.

The run action group option only shows up if you have an action group.

Also when testing in run mode both actions ran at the same time so it jumped to the next question when the popup shows (not closes). However in the live version it worked fine and actions are actioned in the correct order.

#340066 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Emmanuel Cuevas
    Emmanuel Cuevas
    beginner
    intermediate
    wise owl
    @ecuevas1195

Hi!, I’m a newby in lectora.

For doing this, Do I have to use variables?

=P

Regards

#340121 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Tim K
    Tim K
    contributor
    beginner
    intermediate
    advanced
    friend finder
    junior moderator
    advocate
    wise owl
    curious george
    Group Member
    216 pts
    @timk

No need for variables here, you can do it with the “Feedback” and “Attempts” settings of the question.

#358481 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Archie Millard
    Archie Millard
    @amillard3105

So, I want the question to reset automatically after the quiz taker has maxed out their attempts. This is so they can retry answering the question after receiving a “hint” with the max attempt feedback pop-up box.

I can’t figure out how to do this for the life of me.

#358493 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Tim K
    Tim K
    contributor
    beginner
    intermediate
    advanced
    friend finder
    junior moderator
    advocate
    wise owl
    curious george
    Group Member
    216 pts
    @timk

The max attempts message is a standard Lectora action. You can use the same principle mentioned above. Create a group. Add two actions to it, to “Display message” and to “Reset Question”. Use the max attempts action to run that action group.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.