I’ve somehow fixed it by deleting the associated file type parameter for awt and awt10. I used this tool http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/unassociate-file-types-windows-7-vista/
Then, with the awt file showing no associated program, as in the icon is the default windows 7 file icon type with the page and dots on it, I made a shortcut on my desktop to Lectora.exe in the program files folder. Then i dragged the .awt file i wanted to open to the shortcut. Before letting go of your mouse click, verify the tooltip says “Open with Lectora…”
Lectora should open now with the project. Close and open it again by double clicking on the file.
If this does not work, I also did some mucking around with the windows shell command assoc and ftype. Use at your own risk of course. https://ss64.com/nt/ftype.html I wasn’t getting anywhere successful with this approach but did learn a lot about file types and associations.
Well, I discovered that we had two installs of Snagit (v. 12 and v. 13) I asked my IT department to remove v. 12 and when trying to re-establish the .awt extension, lo and behold, I was able to link it to Lectora 17.02.