Explore the community Forums Lectora Lectora Questions & Answers Lectora Inspire 11 vs. Storyline & Capitvate

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of FjordBlue
    FjordBlue
    1 pt
    @FjordBlue

My company is in the process of selecting an eLearning authoring tool. We are really impressed with Lectora Inspire, when comparing to Storyline & Captivate. Just curious about the large price difference…Inspire $2495 Storyline $1398 Captivate $895. Any feedback/insights welcomed.

This post has received 1 vote up.
    • This topic was modified 2 years, 4 months ago by Profile photo of Tony Cavalier Tony Cavalier.
    #287986 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Sergey Snegirev
    Sergey Snegirev
    contributor
    intermediate
    advanced
    friend finder
    lab member
    junior moderator
    advocate
    LUC16
    LUC16 Attendee
    wise owl
    338 pts
    @ssneg

Lectora Inspire ($2495) is a bundle that also includes Camtasia 8, Flypaper and SnagIt. You can try comparing Storyline and Lectora Publisher (around $1500 I think).

#297121 Score: 1
    Profile photo of Gina White
    Gina White
    beginner
    intermediate
    friend finder
    LUC16 Attendee
    verified member
    4 pts
    @gwhite3227

Great Response Sergey!  I will be conducting a live demo on Lectora Inspire tomorrow at 11 am est.  You can sign up on our website!

#297568 Score: 1
    Profile photo of David Jumeau
    David Jumeau
    beginner
    intermediate
    wise owl
    curious george
    advanced
    contributor
    verified member
    friend finder
    picture perfect
    1 pt
    @djumeau

Hi Tony,

I had used Captivate 8 for training last year. I had several issues. First, Firefox incompatibility. As of the beginning of the year (2015), I came to understand that the responsive HTML5 generated course is incompatible with FireFox browser. (https://forums.adobe.com/message/6448420) I saw that there is a work around but this applies to CP 6.1. (http://www.rcfouchaux.ca/blog/2013/05/28/captivate-html5-in-firefox) I came to understand that Adobe and the Firefox team do not have a very good relationship. (http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=2719949)

Second, is performance. It generates a huge JavaScript file. So although they claim that it works on mobile, I find that a disclaimer is needed to be used in a high bandwidth environment. (Granted that e-learning needs this kind of environment since we are dealing with media.)

I currently use StoryLine 1. Most of the output is Flash generated.  If your client is okay using the Flash plugin, it’s pretty stable. Storyline 2 from what I understand has more animated features.

Lectora is HTML based. I cannot make an assessment of it until I have used it for a few months and master the program. (I recently obtained a copy of Lectora Inspire 12.)

Good luck,

David

#297874 Score: 1
    Profile photo of JulieSherman
    JulieSherman
    beginner
    intermediate
    friend finder
    Group Member
    verified member
    1 pt
    @JulieSherman

Lectora Inspire also includes eLearning Brothers HUGE suite of Lectora and Camtasia pre-designed templates.  You can check them out here: https://lectora-library.elearningbrothers.com/. In addition to the templates, Camtasia, and SnagIt, Lectora includes a tool called ReviewLink, which is an online collaboration piece.  Great for team course development, working with SMEs, and very useful when it comes to sending your course out to management for approval/review.  If you have any questions about these tools, please let me know. 🙂

#297879 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Roz Schwartz
    Roz Schwartz
    beginner
    intermediate
    junior moderator
    entry
    entry
    advanced
    friend finder
    contributor
    13 pts
    @rgs55

In my opinion, you cannot really compare Lectora, (Storyline) and Captivate as a primary eLearning authoring tool. Lectora provides a lot of flexibility and functionality to fully customize your courses – I do not believe the other two do. I use Captivate (I can’t speak for Storyline, but do have some experience with Articulate) as a support tool for Lectora for animations, demonstrations and simulations. I’ve developed stand-alone Captivate WBTs based on the project’s requirements, but oftentimes regret it since we almost always experience scope creep – once the client reviews the project, they want the additional features and functionality that Captivate either cannot deliver or is much more difficult to deliver.

I recognize that a learning curve may be a factor and I respect that, but just keep in mind that generally speaking, the easier and quicker it is to learn the tool, the less capability and flexibility it will have.

So when considering an eLearning authoring tool, you should first and foremost, consider your needs and whether or not the tool will meet them, but also consider your team’s ability to learn the tool. Captivate and from what I hear, Storyline, are good products but just make sure they will meet your needs for your eLearning courses.

I appreciate the flexibility of a full-featured authoring system where I have the option to develop a basic quick turnaround project or a highly complex project, and everything in between. My vote would be for Lectora. 🙂

#298092 Score: 1
    Profile photo of The AV-ator
    The AV-ator
    advanced
    contributor
    beginner
    intermediate
    friend finder
    wise owl
    curious george
    picture perfect
    Group Member
    6 pts
    @TheAv-ator

Just to interject another thought, your choice may also be based on your LMS. We have both Lectora and Captivate, but almost never use Captivate because it doesn’t play nice with our LMS. Another group in the corporation had some training built in Captivate and I spent hours and hours trying to figure out why it wasn’t passing completion variables and data back to our LMS to no avail. Finally we just had them give us the new files as flash outputs and then dropped them into Lectora and published SCORM from there – no issues.

I haven’t used Storyline, so I can’t say too much about it. To me though, it seems more like a Powerpoint add-on whereas Lectora and Captivate are more ground up/custom build solutions.

#298186 Score: 1
    Profile photo of Andrew Lian
    Andrew Lian
    beginner
    intermediate
    friend finder
    advanced
    contributor
    wise owl
    curious george
    12 pts
    @mlapl1

I hope this does not disrupt the thread too much but I was intrigued (and found ingenious) @theav-ator‘s solution of dropping someone else’s flash files into Lectora and publishing as SCORM. How would you actually do that? How would you pass variables etc.? Sounds interesting.

Thanks and apologies for this new direction.

Andrew

#298187 Score: 1
    Profile photo of jdwilliford
    jdwilliford
    beginner
    intermediate
    friend finder
    LUC16
    LUC16 Attendee
    1 pt
    @jdwilliford

Andrew –

I’m in a situation similar to @The_AV-ator‘s  My current project uses Captivate for software simulations that we publish as .swf files, dropping them inside of a Lectora ‘shell’ with other tutorial content. But, we only pass a single completion variable at the end each simulation, using an ‘On Exit’ event in Captivate to trigger a javascript:  VarDone.set(‘1’); where “Done” is the name of our variable in Lectora. We’re doing this with Lectora Inspire 11 & 12 and Captivate 7. Hope that’s helpful!

JD

#298188 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Andrew Lian
    Andrew Lian
    beginner
    intermediate
    friend finder
    advanced
    contributor
    wise owl
    curious george
    12 pts
    @mlapl1

Thank you! Of course! Nice one. That increases flexibility quite a bit. Very helpful!

Andrew

#298264 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Jodi Gi
    Jodi Gi
    @jgonzales4183

Hi everyone.

Anyone here tried to create a Module using Lectora Inspire, and once uploaded to LMS and the users has already completed the module on 1st attempt, is it possible for the users to re-take the whole module to review the whole process without Tracking or recording to LMS that it was their 2nd attept already? Is Lectora can do this kind of process?

*I’ve come up with this kind of dilemma because of someone using Captivate asked me if this process also works in Lectora Inspire, since this actually works in Captivate.*

Thank you for your thoughts, in advance! 🙂

#299477 Score: 0
    The AV-ator
    advanced
    contributor
    beginner
    intermediate
    friend finder
    wise owl
    curious george
    picture perfect
    Group Member
    6 pts
    @TheAv-ator

@mlapl1

@jdwilliford I think we think along the same lines.

For our project, they only cared that they viewed the whole course/video – there was no questioning or testing or check on learning through the course. It was basically a Captivate video that someone else created.

So they gave us a SWF file that I dropped into a 2 page Lectora course. On the SWF file I had the action: On Done Playing, modify AICC_Lesson_Status, set equal to “completed”. I then had a second action: on done playing, goto next page, if AICC_Lesson_Status equal to “completed”. The second page was really just an exit button that closes out the course and takes them back to the LMS screen. Not sure if this is the best way possible, but it seemed to work pretty well.

You could probably do a hidden button that shows instead of a new page, this just worked better for us with the background stuff being so busy looking.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 2 months ago by Profile photo of The AV-ator The AV-ator.
    #299479 Score: 0
    The AV-ator
    advanced
    contributor
    beginner
    intermediate
    friend finder
    wise owl
    curious george
    picture perfect
    Group Member
    6 pts
    @TheAv-ator

@jgonzales418

My thinking is yes.

You would have to track that it was more than their first run through the course and then if greater than 1, don’t submit the completion variables. You’d have to play around with some variables and the tracking of those variables, but it should be able to be done. I’m sure someone has more experience with it.

Another way is to basically make a duplicate course in the course that remains hidden until the person passes the course a first time. Then the next time they enter the first page of the course, they are then directed to the hidden course where everything is open or doesn’t submit any completion variables. Each subsequent visit directs them to the hidden course then. being that there are essentially two full courses in there, file size and loading times would be affected.

(this one is not Lectora driven but another option) Or, you could publish 2 versions of it and let your LMS do the directing. make the 1st course a pre-req for the 2nd course. Then, after they’ve completed the 1st course, it opens the 2nd course for use. When they do the second course, it’s set to not pass any variables either.

#299984 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Jennifer Valley
    Jennifer Valley
    contributor
    beginner
    friend finder
    advanced
    lectora beginner
    verified member
    wise owl
    picture perfect
    curious george
    105 pts
    @jvalley4735

I did a side by side comparison on my personal blog a couple months ago if you want to check it out http://jennifervalley.blogspot.com/2015/01/captivate-8-vs-lectora-v12-vs-storyline.html

#301098 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Jenny James
    Jenny James
    2 pts
    @Jenny.James

Read Jennifer Valley’s blog on Lectora vs Storyline vs Captivate.  Well-done comparison.  I hope she will update it when we all have trailed L16.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.