Explore the community Forums Lectora Lectora Questions & Answers Lectora Inspire 11 vs. Storyline & Capitvate

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Jennifer Valley
    Jennifer Valley
    contributor
    beginner
    friend finder
    advanced
    lectora beginner
    verified member
    wise owl
    picture perfect
    curious george
    105 pts
    @jvalley4735

Thanks Jenny! I actually updated it recently to include Captivate 9 along with a couple smaller aspects. I’ll definitely revisit once L16 is ready.

http://jennifervalley.blogspot.com/2015/10/adobe-captivate-9-v-articulate.html

#302707 Score: 0
    Profile photo of dirk pauwels
    dirk pauwels
    @dirk

Hi Jodi,

” is it possible for the users to re-take the whole module to review the whole process without Tracking or recording to LMS that it was their 2nd attept already? Is Lectora can do this kind of process?”

Any descent LMS will track any attempt of any e-elearning lesson that is launched. You cannot ‘hide’ this from the LMS. You can however in Lectora (and that is a huge advantage compared to articulate and captive) manipulate very easily any status or score data before sending it to the LMS (eventually after receiving those from a previous attempt from het LMS)

#302716 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Darrel Somoza
    Darrel Somoza
    contributor
    friend finder
    beginner
    intermediate
    junior moderator
    advanced
    wise owl
    curious george
    167 pts
    @Klaatu

Jodi, what you are asking for is a function of the Learning Management System. Your LMS should have a setting to “lock lesson upon completion” or something similar. It is a very important feature for the exact reason you describe.

#302717 Score: 0
    Darrel Somoza
    contributor
    friend finder
    beginner
    intermediate
    junior moderator
    advanced
    wise owl
    curious george
    167 pts
    @Klaatu

On ours it’s called Lock Lesson Status After Completion.

DRS

#309118 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Chrisanna (Chris) Paxton McMillin
    Chrisanna (Chris) Paxton McMillin
    beginner
    intermediate
    friend finder
    verified member
    advanced
    contributor
    testimonial writer
    LUC16 Attendee
    picture perfect
    2 pts
    @cpaxton

Hi FjordBlue-
    I have used Lectora since 2007 and Captivate since 2012. My prefernce is to just use Captivate in Lectora when building software simulations, but I have had a few clients that prefer things developed in Captivate.

Of course, as mentioned above, the additions that come with Lectora are huge and it might depend on what LMS you are using, but with any tool you are going to have some “challenges” with your LMS.

To me the biggest advantage is the testing abilities! Lectora has the most flexible quizzing options and if you are needing to ensure the learner “learned” something that is huge! And with the move to xAPI, Lectora is leaps and bounds ahead of the others when it comes to working with “big data”.

They way I “sell it” is, while Lectora has a larger price tag up front…what it can give a company in the way of data to ensure a learner has comprehended the training, thus ensuring the value of the training department and the developers can not be measured. Check with your legal department and see what a lawsuit could cost the company; and if you (as a developer) could show that the employee knew what they needed to know and knew company policy, but choose to act outside of the training and policy…how much value is in that….and that has justified the price difference of Lectora.

#312092 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Brandon Mazy
    Brandon Mazy
    beginner
    intermediate
    friend finder
    curious george
    picture perfect
    wise owl
    contributor
    @bmazy6337

I’m in the same boat!! I did cbt – elearning for about 20 years. I was so used to using flash as my authoring tool.

So today we own a day spa and massage school and working on making my template with Lectora and loving it! Have to be honest, I was drawn to captivate being an adobe product! But found to many drawbacks and found Lectora on a google search and so glad I did!!

Happy e-learning.. Or now as it is now m-learning!

#312093 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Brandon Mazy
    Brandon Mazy
    beginner
    intermediate
    friend finder
    curious george
    picture perfect
    wise owl
    contributor
    @bmazy6337

I’m in the same boat!! I did cbt – e-learning for about 20 years. I was so used to using flash as my authoring tool.

So today we own a day spa and massage school and working on making my template with Lectora and loving it! Have to be honest, I was drawn to captivate being an adobe product! But found to many drawbacks and found Lectora on a google search and so glad I did!!

Happy e-learning.. Or now as it is now m-learning!

#317194 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Kendra Barker
    Kendra Barker
    beginner
    intermediate
    wise owl
    Group Member
    product reviewer
    @kbarker3436

I have been using Storyline for a little over a year and am just starting my first project in Lectora.  Let me tell you…it is worth the money.  Not only all the fun other software that comes with it (eLearning Brothers, Camtasia, Snagit), but you can get in touch with support right away to answer questions.  And if you have to make your courses 508 complaint, Lectora is the way to go.

#318804 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Laurie Taylor
    Laurie Taylor
    beginner
    intermediate
    friend finder
    lab member
    picture perfect
    Group Member
    wise owl
    advanced
    LUC17 Attendee
    @ltaylor

Did you get an answer to your question?

#319111 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Christine O'Malley
    Christine O’Malley
    beginner
    intermediate
    friend finder
    wise owl
    curious george
    advanced
    contributor
    product reviewer
    LUC17 Attendee
    4 pts
    @comalley5856

<span class=”handle-sign”>@</span>rgs55

Unfortunately, I have been away from the forum for quite awhile, so much that I recently earned the title of Lectora newbie (ha ha)… shame on me!

Anyhow, this post caught my eye. As a long-time Lectora user (since 2007) and one who has also developed in Storyline 1 and 2, I have some definite opinions about these tools… can’t speak to Captivate though.

I agree with you Roz – there is no comparison, and your comment  is exactly what I was getting at in my recent LinkedIn post. You said… “when considering an eLearning authoring tool, you should first and foremost, consider your needs and whether or not the tool will meet them, but also consider your team’s ability to learn the tool. Captivate and from what I hear, Storyline, are good products but just make sure they will meet your needs for your eLearning courses.”

I’ve never found Lectora difficult to learn – I actually think it is very logical. My theory is that people gravitate to Storyline because it is an easy jump for them from PowerPoint. So you either think like one tool – or you think like the other tool. Don’t get me wrong, there are things I like about Storyline but there are more things I like about Lectora and I’ve found there are things I can do in Lectora that I cannot do in Storyline – or it takes much longer to accomplish.

Here is a very basic example: In Lectora, I can insert a Table (an e-learning ‘necessity’ for data comparisons, etc.) onto a page in a couple of clicks but in Storyline, there is no option to add a table. What?! So, let’s say I’m a first time developer in Storyline … I’m going to spend (how much time?) hunting and pecking to find the table option, only to eventually discover it’s not there. But one option I do have is to create the table outside of Storyline and insert it into my course as an image. Gee… is there text in the table? Now I have to layer text boxes over the image of the Table because best practice tells me that I should never embed text into an image. Oh, and I’m going to hope it all lines up perfectly on my mobile devices. Oh, wait – let’s scratch the table in this course.

I absolutely agree – when looking for a tool – it’s really important to know the consequences of your decision. You know what they say – time is money – so spend wisely. Although Lectora carries a higher cost – it is put together so well and offers so many options and flexibility, I think you actually save time in the long run.

Something I’ve just started to do is share my comparisons (at the task level) of what can be done in these tools and do some time trials. I mean to do this in a constructive manner and hope it will be accepted at face-value. It’s not my goal to ‘knock the other guy’ because every tool has it’s strengths and like-abilities. I just think it’s only fair to incorporate accurate development times into your e-Learning budget, based on your tool of choice. It’s fair to the learning organizations, as well as the developers and the business leaders.

Comments are welcome.

#326769 Score: 0
    Profile photo of John P
    John P
    beginner
    intermediate
    wise owl
    @johnfromdon

We once used Flash files – captured movies from MS FlightSimulator that synched up with audio – that sent out variables to be captured in the Lectora element – worked a dream. SCORM compliant too 😉

#326773 Score: 0
    Profile photo of John P
    John P
    beginner
    intermediate
    wise owl
    @johnfromdon

Christine

If you have used tools like Authorware in the past, Lectora is very easy to use.

I find Storyline restrictive and great for those who don’t have to put much skill into building any content.

I have used Captivate and Lectora for a while now – not so much Lectora of late, but then again, I think the cost model for Lectora may put people off it, especially when you can buy Captivate at a low monthly subscription.

Regards

John

#336128 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Jack Gayler
    Jack Gayler
    beginner
    intermediate
    friend finder
    picture perfect
    advanced
    group mod
    entry
    entry
    entry
    entry
    @jgayler6869

Hi Guys,

If you would like to read a short blog about “Storyline 2 vs Lectora”, just follow the link below 🙂

http://www.transition.co.uk/blogs/e-learning/2015/storyline-2-vs-lectora

Hope this helps,

Jack

#336455 Score: 0
    Darrel Somoza
    contributor
    friend finder
    beginner
    intermediate
    junior moderator
    advanced
    wise owl
    curious george
    167 pts
    @Klaatu

I like and use Storyline 2 as well as Inspire but I have to say I’m not impressed by that blog, Jack. The guy who wrote it needs to spend more time using both programs.

#345155 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Germán González
    Germán González
    beginner
    intermediate
    friend finder
    LUC16
    LUC16 Attendee
    wise owl
    Group Member
    @German_ga

Storyline is complicated because is based in timeline and Lectora is based in Actions, this makes it very easy. I am professional eLearning development and recommended Lectora because you have freedom develop custom content.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.