Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of jabc
    jabc
    beginner
    intermediate
    contributor
    LUC16 Attendee
    picture perfect
    curious george
    wise owl
    LUC17 Attendee
    1 pt
    @jabc

I’m trying to install Zoom SE Indexer (from Wrensoft) on a Lectora Inspire (desktop) Title in v17.0.2. No luck so far. I’m told it will work. I’m required to have a search feature in each course. I think I must have all the settings within Zoom set incorrectly. I’m willing to pay someone to help me with this. Anyone?

#345981 Score: 1
    Profile photo of Heidi Strangberg
    Heidi Strangberg
    beginner
    intermediate
    contributor
    lab member
    verified member
    friend finder
    advocate
    curious george
    wise owl
    LUC17 Attendee
    3 pts
    @heidi

Hello, we also develop courses that require search functionality and previously used Flash based programming to add on to our Lectora courses. Please keep me posted if you find a resolution. I tried to download Zoom from their site, and my Norton security will not allow it. As soon as I can get it to download I can play around with some options on Lectora v17.

This post has received 1 vote up.
    #345997 Score: 1
    Profile photo of Jennifer Valley
    Jennifer Valley
    contributor
    beginner
    friend finder
    advanced
    lectora beginner
    verified member
    wise owl
    picture perfect
    curious george
    108 pts
    @jvalley4735

I got this response from a member of our dev team when I asked your question:
    1.       Go get ZoomIndexer<http://www.wrensoft.com/zoom/>

2.       Publish your Lectora course

3.       Use zoom indexer to index the html (or scorm unzipped) output. It basically crawls all the html files and makes an index of every word and where its located. Then it outputs several files:

a.       Search.html – the search page that lets you search and displays results. We did modify this a bit. Since we opened our search page as a popup, we modified the result links so they opened the result in the course tab, instead of the popup. But if you modify this file you have to know that it will be overwritten next time you index, so always save a copy. We also made some css changes for a different look.

b.       Setting.js – just some settings, leave it be.

c.       Search.js – some scripting, leave it be.

d.       Zoom_index.js – this is your actual index, which will change every time you index an updated course.

e.       Zoom_pageinfo.js – som page info… not sure really, but it changes every time you index as well.

4.       Add these files as additional files.

5.       Have a button that opens the search (if you open in a popup, you’ll have to do some modifying like seen in the attached file, open it in notepad).

6.       Publish again so the newly added files are now in your html folder.

7.       That’s basically it, obviously you’ll probably have a lot of troubleshooting before it works right.

8.       Then anytime you update the course text, you need to do steps 3, 4 and 6 again.

Not sure what support will say but hopefully that helps.

#346003 Score: 0
    Profile photo of jabc
    jabc
    beginner
    intermediate
    contributor
    LUC16 Attendee
    picture perfect
    curious george
    wise owl
    LUC17 Attendee
    1 pt
    @jabc

There is a lot more to it than “Go Get ZoomIndexer.” It’s the settings within Zoom that are confusing (to me). Maybe Heidi can figure it out for us! It seems to have potential as a course search feature, and I’ve been told it will work within Lectora, but I’m just not savvy enough to figure this out for myself.

#346010 Score: 0
    Profile photo of jabc
    jabc
    beginner
    intermediate
    contributor
    LUC16 Attendee
    picture perfect
    curious george
    wise owl
    LUC17 Attendee
    1 pt
    @jabc

Thank you, Jennifer for posting these instructions for Zoom though. I’ve tried and failed.

#346015 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Darrel Somoza
    Darrel Somoza
    contributor
    friend finder
    beginner
    intermediate
    junior moderator
    advanced
    wise owl
    curious george
    168 pts
    @Klaatu

What exactly do you need searchable?

#346018 Score: 0
    Profile photo of jabc
    jabc
    beginner
    intermediate
    contributor
    LUC16 Attendee
    picture perfect
    curious george
    wise owl
    LUC17 Attendee
    1 pt
    @jabc

Darrel, All text within the course. Text in page titles, text in text boxes, text in titles of PDF’s, etc. Let me know if you have ideas.

#346034 Score: 1
    Profile photo of Sergey Snegirev
    Sergey Snegirev
    contributor
    intermediate
    advanced
    friend finder
    lab member
    junior moderator
    advocate
    LUC16
    LUC16 Attendee
    wise owl
    339 pts
    @ssneg

The way ZoomSE works, it indexes the HTML text within HTML files. Unfortunately, there IS NO html text in Lectora html files, because all text is generated at runtime using javascript. So there is nothing for ZoomSE to index. So ZoomSE will not work with Lectora html output. I tried this with 17 in both seamless and old-school modes.

#346064 Score: 0
    Profile photo of jabc
    jabc
    beginner
    intermediate
    contributor
    LUC16 Attendee
    picture perfect
    curious george
    wise owl
    LUC17 Attendee
    1 pt
    @jabc

Hi Sergey, Thanks for this information. I know you know much more about this than me. However, the Lectora developers seem to think Zoom can work with Lectora. I have Lectora pages with text boxes (including text) and that same text is in the HTML file for that page (I can see it when I open that page with Notepad). So, do you stand by your response that the course text is not in the html files? Are there different types of “text” such as HTML text and Javascript text, and you are saying that Zoom only indexes HTML text that is not in Lectora output files? So confusing to me…

#346120 Score: 0
    Sergey Snegirev
    contributor
    intermediate
    advanced
    friend finder
    lab member
    junior moderator
    advocate
    LUC16
    LUC16 Attendee
    wise owl
    339 pts
    @ssneg

Lectora 17 does not publish any text into the html body that will be readable by ZoomSE. Older versions used to do that so it might work with Lectora X, 11 and 12. Not sure about 16 but I assume it would work.

Neither will it work with Lectora Online content. Lectora Online outputs literally this HTML:

<body  style='background-color:#FFFFFF;'>
    <div id="wndPage" class=""></div>
    </body>

All the elements including textboxes are generated at runtime by a script.

#346134 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Darrel Somoza
    Darrel Somoza
    contributor
    friend finder
    beginner
    intermediate
    junior moderator
    advanced
    wise owl
    curious george
    168 pts
    @Klaatu

Whoa, I think there’s miscommunication going on (although Sergey seems to be talking about the right one). ZoomSE is not an indexer, its a jQuery image zoom plugin. What @jabc is talking about is Wrensoft Zoom Website Search Engine.

All the text is certainly in the HTML file but like Sergey pointed out, it is not like you would find in a normal web page instead it exists in a function that adds it to the element on the page that acts as a placeholder when it loads. Reading Jennifer’s post with info from the developers it seems like it could certainly work. This is because it loads the page first and then indexes it; it doesn’t try to parse the actual .html file.

I do not have the time presently, however, what I would do to get this to work is make a single page lesson with a one textbox and carefully follow the directions Jennifer posted. Once you know how to make it work you can then try to apply it to your actual lesson.

Sorry I couldn’t be more help but I do think there is some hope. Although I have not needed it up to this point, this is something that Trivantis might want to consider as a feature upgrade.

#346138 Score: 0
    Sergey Snegirev
    contributor
    intermediate
    advanced
    friend finder
    lab member
    junior moderator
    advocate
    LUC16
    LUC16 Attendee
    wise owl
    339 pts
    @ssneg

It seems that so far only one person actually indexed Lectora 17 / Lectora Online output with Zoom and that person claims that Zoom does not work. That person is me.

I also do not understand why Darrel says Zoom “loads the page first”. Did you try Zoom? Did it load the page and execute the scripts? I say it does NOT because of two reasons:
    1) I tried it
    2) Zoom FAQ page says “Zoom does not execute JavaScript”

Can anyone beside myself please install Zoom and run it on a L17/LO course and confirm/disprove my findings?

P.S. ZoomSE = Zoom Search Engine of course. @jabc referred to it as “Zoom SE Indexer (from Wrensoft)” in the first line of this thread.

#346368 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Justin Ball
    Justin Ball
    beginner
    intermediate
    friend finder
    entry
    wise owl
    contributor
    entry
    advanced
    LUC17 Attendee
    LUC17 Presenter
    3 pts
    @8ball

I can’t comment on the free version of the product, but we have been using zoom search professional ($99) for years dating all the way back to Lectora 07.

I do know another vendor that is currently using Lectora and Zoom search engine.

I haven’t tested with latest Lectora 17 and seamless publishing.

The process we use is almost the same as what Jennifer outlined, just with a few differences, I will get a quick lectora file and document together.

#346418 Score: 1
    Justin Ball
    beginner
    intermediate
    friend finder
    entry
    wise owl
    contributor
    entry
    advanced
    LUC17 Attendee
    LUC17 Presenter
    3 pts
    @8ball

This again is using the $99 purchased version of the Zoom Search Engine. (unknown if this will work with free version)

Just did quick initial test with Lectora 17 and seamless publish and it appears to work. I don’t know about responsive title functionality. It will need to be tested further. I built it using one of the sample courses provided by Trivantis. (Top Beaches)

I took an old document and tried to quickly update it to Lectora 17, I think I’ve included everything.

Essentially, we are using the edited output files from the Zoom Search and editing two of them to make them work with Lectora. Then adding them along with a jquery file to the external files. (in a nutshell)

I’ve attached:

1. Step by Step document (hopefully clear)
    2. The edited zip file of the Beaches course with the setup completed. (files are inside extern folder)
    3. The zip file of the Lectora library objects used
    #346426 Score: 0
    Justin Ball
    beginner
    intermediate
    friend finder
    entry
    wise owl
    contributor
    entry
    advanced
    LUC17 Attendee
    LUC17 Presenter
    3 pts
    @8ball

looks like I got an upload error on the beaches file. Trying again..

Looks like it failed again.. not sure why the file is only 3 mb..

• This reply was modified 9 months ago by Profile photo of Justin Ball Justin Ball.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.