Explore the community Forums Lectora Lectora Questions & Answers retrieve page height for variable? – Responsive course Reply To: retrieve page height for variable? – Responsive course

#385937 Score: 0
Profile photo of Stan Miller
Stan Miller
beginner
intermediate
LUC16 Attendee
wise owl
contributor
curious george
friend finder
LUC17 Attendee
37 pts
@smiller7502

I’ve been working on something similar. Instead of covering the screen, I’m redirecting to a page that says “Please rotate your device.” That bit works great. Here’s what I did:

1. Select the course title or the AU in the title explorer. (This makes the script available on every page, so if a learner leaves the course and returns in the middle, the script will still fire.)
  2. Insert tab > HTML Extension.
  3. Type Header Scripting.
  4. Paste in the script below.
  5. Add a page that says “Please rotate your device.” This page could of course be prettied up with a gif or what have you.
  6. Add an action to the AU: On Show | GoTo | The rotate prompt page created in step 5.

I was hoping that the built-in “On Device Rotation” action would let me redirect from there to the last visited page when the device is rotated. I added two such actions on the rotate prompt page, one to display a message and one to go to the last visited page. Sadly, though, it doesn’t work. On my Android device, I never even see the message. On my colleague’s iPhone, he sees the message but the GoTo action doesn’t work. I could easily put a button on the rotate prompt page to go back to the last visited page, but that’s clunkier than I like.

I know this isn’t exactly what you asked for, but it seems simpler than what you’re trying to do. I’ll post again if I figure out the return leg of this journey. (Happy for any suggestions anyone might have …)

var w = window.innerWidth;
var h = window.innerHeight;
if (h > w) {
 VarDeviceOrientation.set("Portrait");
}
else {
 VarDeviceOrientation.set("Landscape");
}