cmooraces
beginner
intermediate
curious george
wise owl
contributor
1 pt
@cmooraces

if you are using the time function in SCORM you can force Lectora to submit all variables to the database by executing an action on each page that is a go to web address and entering javascript:LMSCommit(). This will send all of the data to the LMS that is a persistent variable. I wouldn’t put it on the NEXT button but rather the first action on the next page which accomplishes the same goal. However, this results in a lot of extra of hits on the database and can bog down performance. The total time variable can be inconsistent too. I’ve had issues using this as the best method.

My courses limit the total access time to the course which counts down the time instead of up. But it’s the same thing as what you want just in reverse. I set a persistent variable called MasterTime and give it a value in seconds equivalent to the total time that they can access. Then on every page I put an action group that has one action that reduces the MasterTime variable by one. Finally, there is an action in the root of every page that runs that action group on an interval of 1 second. So every second, the MasterTime variable is reduced by one second which keeps time for what I want to accomplish.

One last thing. People can simply go to a page and let it sit for an hour which would count down the time without them doing anything. So I set an individual timer that counts down 10 minutes and resets on every page. If on any given page that timer reaches zero, I take them to a “timeout” page which has an action to reset the bookmark to the previous page visited, adds back the time that has been sapped by sitting on the previous page for 10 minutes and then closes the course after 60 seconds. Again, you can do the same thing in reverse.

Hope this helps.