Explore the community Forums Lectora Lectora Questions & Answers Help with simple interaction, best practices example Reply To: Help with simple interaction, best practices example

#402646 Score: 2
Profile photo of Stan Miller
Stan Miller
beginner
intermediate
LUC16 Attendee
wise owl
contributor
curious george
friend finder
LUC17 Attendee
38 pts
@smiller7502

The basic problem is that nothing was triggering your Hide Prompt action at the top of the title explorer.

In the attached version, I’ve made the following changes:

• Put that action inside a group. While it might seem weird to have a “group” with just one action, it allows triggering the action with a “Run Action Group” action.
  • Added an On Click > Run Action Group action to each of the buttons to run the new group.

That’s all that was strictly necessary to fix the problem, but I made one other change as well: I changed the “Add to Variable” actions to “Set Equal To” actions. This is safer when you just need to know whether a button has been clicked or not, because with an “Add to Variable” action, if the learner clicks the same button a second time, your variable equals 2 and the test fails. With a “Set Equal To” action, it doesn’t matter if the learner clicks the button once or 100 times, the variable is still 1.

One other note: As you get more advanced with Lectora, you may regret naming your variables VAR_Something. You can display the value of a variable on the screen by putting VAR(VariableName) in a text box or message, and having that look like VAR(VAR_QDC) might be confusing; there’d be similar confusion in JavaScript, in which you can pull in a Lectora variable value with a line like var x = VarVariableName, and seeing VarVAR_QDC would kinda make me nuts. Maybe that’s just me, though.

This post has received 2 votes up.
Attachments:
  1. Hide-Prompt.zip