TechSmith has reported that there is a known issue that can occur with some installations of SnagIt. We have also provided details and the link to this information on the TechSmith website for your reference.
March 21, 2019 14:21
Snagit is unable to open and displays the following or similar error:
The application was unable to start correctly (0x000007b). Click OK to close the application.
This is a known issue that TechSmith hopes to fix in a future release. For a workaround, please follow these steps to resolve this problem.
- Uninstall ALL versions of Snagit.
- Exit Snagit and Snagit Editor.
- Open the Control Panel. For help locating the Control Panel, see this Microsoft support article: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/13764/windows-where-is-control-panel
- Select Programs and Features or If you do not see the Programs and Features category, locate the ‘Uninstall a program’ option under Programs.
- When prompted, select to Keep files or Delete files from your Snagit Library. Note: If you select the Delete files option, the Snagit Library files are permanently deleted. You cannot recover these files.
If you have more than one version of SnagIt installed, please repeat step 1 for all versions.
- Reboot your computer.
- Reinstall Snagit with the following steps:
- Ensure your system has an active internet connection.
- Please locate the Lectora installation file previously downloaded to your local system..
- Then using the right mouse button, click once on the install file, which will open the context menu
- Select Run as Administrator These steps will ensure that you have permission to update your Windows system registry file.
- After the installation is complete, launch Lectora using the same method as in step 3 & 4 above.
- Go to Tools menu and launch SnagIt / Screen Capture. This will set the SnagIt license bundled with Lectora.
- Once completed, you will be able to launch SnagIt.
Additional items that may affect your installation.
Some anti-virus software can block Snagit from installing. Temporarily disable your security software and try installing Snagit again.
Solution: Disable Anti-Virus Software
Snagit 13 requires Microsoft .NET Framework 4.6 or later. The Snagit installer automatically downloads and installs the framework. The Snagit installation fails if an error occurs during the process. To fix this issue, manually install the framework.
Solution: Manually Install Microsoft .NET Framework available here: https://dotnet.microsoft.com/download/dotnet-framework