Explore the community Forums Lectora Lectora Suggestions A BUNCH of Time-Saving Usability Suggestions

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Cam Phillips
    Cam Phillips
    beginner
    intermediate
    friend finder
    wise owl
    curious george
    contributor
    10 pts
    @_

Hello!

I’ve tabled up a bunch of suggested improvements – some major and some minor – that I feel would greatly enhance the general usability of Lectora.

The courses I work on tend to be fairly large – up to 300 pages, thousands of assets and sometimes over a hundred actions on a page… and often 20 or 30 courses under development at any one time. These are all minor usability improvements, but when dealing with very complex projects with lots of custom interactions, even a second saved here or there can have a HUGE impact on effort and budget (and my sanity as a solo end-to-end developer).

• Allow copying of text from the debug window for easy saving and sharing of debug output
    • Force debug window to constantly scroll to most recent line rather than text dropping off the bottom of the page
    • Separate opacity settings for shape fill and stroke – currently transparency is applied to both equally
    • Retain layer order when selecting multiple elements
    • Allow text formatting (bold, italic etc) within callouts – currently restricted to colour change only
    • Add ‘Right Click > Open File Location’ on multimedia elements such as images, video etc.
    • Make text boxes automatically resize to fit bottom of text when blank lines are removed from end of text box
    • Don’t expand an element when you rename it and press Enter – Enter should simply confirm the name change
    • Allow visibility transitions (fade, etc) to be interrupted/overridden by other Show/Hide actions – currently a Hide action will have no effect on an element half way through a fade
    • Allow zooming on the drag-and-drop ‘dropzone’ window to make it easier to get pixel-perfect
    • Scale dropzones automatically when scaling a dropzone image for a drag-and-drop question
    • Apply shadows and other effects to multiple selected elements – currently have to apply individually
    • Keep an element selected when dragging it up/down the Title Explorer tree rather than selecting the page itself
    • Following a find and replace, restore the expanded/collapsed state as it was rather than leaving everything expanded!
    • Make ‘Initially Hidden’ applicable at group level and individual element level – so you could have a group set to hidden, but one element within the group set to not hidden, which then appears. This would give much greater flexibility for complex interactions – would be great if dropping an element into an Initially Hidden group would then apply Initially Hidden to the element by default, but you can “opt out” and show it if needed
    • Keep crop settings when replacing cropped images through Properties ribbon
    • MoveTo action – allow coordinate variables to be entered directly into the ribbon
    • Keep ‘Lock Size/Position’ settings when replacing images through Properties ribbon (constrain to same size and position unless I ‘Reset to Original’ on the Properties ribbon
    • When adding a new variable in the Conditions window, automatically add it to the next blank condition row in the list
    • Find and replace with formatting (similar to Word, with checkboxes for bold, italic etc.)
    • Triple-click to select line/paragraph (similar to Word)
    • Set guide thickness to 1 pixel, regardless of zoom level – also recommend changing colour to cyan as in Photoshop/Illustrator
    • Allow guides to be moved with cursor or adjusted with X/Y coordinates and provide an option to lock/unlock them
    • Prevent search going all the way ‘around the horse’ to complete – would be great if it could tell which pages have already been checked and correctly detect when it’s reached the end of document
    • General comment – lag when dragging elements on canvas, or up/down Title Explorer tree – is there anything that can be done here to bring responsiveness more in line with something like Photoshop/Illustrator? I have a hulking CAD-spec PC and graphics card… can be very frustrating when deadlines loom. For example, zooming in/out one step can take over a second to resolve.

DISCLAIMER: I am using Lectora v17.0.1 (10915) – some of these issues may have already been addressed! If this is the case please point them out, as that will help convince me to renew my upgrade subscription. 🙂

Fire away with any questions or comments!

This post has received 2 votes up.
    #404414 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Math Notermans
    Math Notermans
    contributor
    intermediate
    advanced
    friend finder
    junior moderator
    advocate
    LUC16 Attendee
    LUC16
    wise owl
    curious george
    102 pts
    @mnotermans5114

I can agree on most. 1 i however not completely ..
    Retain layer order when selecting multiple elements
    As it is now the order things pasting do retain its layer order…just depending on whether you select things from top down or bottom up. If you select in the different order they paste in the different order. Ok, it might be usefull to set a default to always keep things in the original order and add a checkbox for the reverse…

So instead of what you suggest i would say…
    Retain layer order by default. Add a checkbox to reverse when selecting multiple elements

#404470 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Jennifer Valley
    Jennifer Valley
    contributor
    beginner
    friend finder
    advanced
    lectora beginner
    verified member
    wise owl
    picture perfect
    curious george
    113 pts
    @jvalley4735

Thanks for sharing Cam!  I’ll make sure our development team sees this list.

#404532 Score: 0
    Cam Phillips
    beginner
    intermediate
    friend finder
    wise owl
    curious george
    contributor
    10 pts
    @_

Thanks Jennifer!

Math, that’s a good point – didn’t realise that was the case when pasting items.

For that one I meant the way that selected items are shown in the viewport – after some further testing it appears that the layered ordered is displayed correctly when selecting items in the Title Explorer, but gets out of whack if you click on them directly in the canvas (see attached image).

This can get really tricky when you’re trying to select multiple elements directly from the canvas – often the largest element (in this case the grey rectangle) pops to the front and obscures everything else.

#404675 Score: 1
    Cam Phillips
    beginner
    intermediate
    friend finder
    wise owl
    curious george
    contributor
    10 pts
    @_

Some more I’ve come up with:

• Allow negative numbers to be typed into the coordinates box at bottom of screen – currently says ‘-‘ is an invalid character
    • Set Hide action to default to ‘This Object’ rather than top-level title element
    • Add Right Click > Show/Hide in Title Explorer for easily toggling the visibility of multiple objects at once
    • Allow selection of objects in separate groups from Title Explorer – can currently only select objects in different groups via the canvas
    • Embed Transitions properties in the ribbon, allowing to select transition type and speed directly from ribbon rather than opening a separate popup – plenty of room on this ribbon
    • MoveTo Action – allow editing of coordinates directly in ribbon rather than popup (if using the popup, adjust the tab order so it goes from X input to Y input, rather than Var/Random)

Will keep posting as I find them…

This post has received 1 vote up.
    #404839 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Math Notermans
    Math Notermans
    contributor
    intermediate
    advanced
    friend finder
    junior moderator
    advocate
    LUC16 Attendee
    LUC16
    wise owl
    curious george
    102 pts
    @mnotermans5114

On the topic Retain layer order when selecting multiple elements in defense of Trivantis developers…
    They do check UI interface and behaviour in other mainstream tools. How? Well exact the same behaviour is in Adobe AfterEffects. Depending on how you select elements, they paste in that same order… top->down or down->top.

#405468 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Tim K
    Tim K
    contributor
    beginner
    intermediate
    advanced
    friend finder
    junior moderator
    advocate
    wise owl
    curious george
    Group Member
    249 pts
    @timk
    • Allow disinheritance for grouped elements – Currently it’s not possible to disinherit elements that are part of a group. It’s only possible to disinherit the entire group.
    #405536 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Tim K
    Tim K
    contributor
    beginner
    intermediate
    advanced
    friend finder
    junior moderator
    advocate
    wise owl
    curious george
    Group Member
    249 pts
    @timk
    • Allow editing of course title when publishing to ReviewLink – Quite often I want to publish different versions of the same course for review, e.g. with and without randomization of assessment questions. I’d like to give the versions more meaningful titles than “(2)”.
    • Update thumbnail when publishing to ReviewLink – When I copy an AWT and produce a new course from the copy, the thumbnail of the previous version is kept, although the background image that’s used in the thumbnail is not in the course any more and I delete the “review” folder before publishing.
    #406928 Score: 1
    Cam Phillips
    beginner
    intermediate
    friend finder
    wise owl
    curious george
    contributor
    10 pts
    @_

A few more:

• Allow ‘Add an Image’ popup window to be resized to accommodate large thumbnail Explorer view options
    • Ability to filter publish window to show only errors – often having to hunt through pages and pages of publish messages to find one or two red error lines
    • Ability to resize multiple selected objects at once
    • More granular MoveTo/transition speed sliders – ability to enter a numerical % would be amazing!
    • Some kind of timeline view like Flash / AfterEffects that allows you to scrub back/forth through animated elements rather than trying to time with hardcoded delays (a big ask, I know)
    • Improvements to ‘Convert to Image’ – has been raised often but would be great if this offered very high resolution PNG conversion, suitable for text
    • Automatically swap (C), (R), and (TM) for trademark symbols – as in Office etc.
    • Allow multiple variables to be selected in Variable Manager for deletion, rather than deleting one-by-one
    • Filter for Title Explorer where you can type an object name and only matches are shown (could also be implemented for variable/object drop-down lists – would be great to type into these and have the list filtered down)
    • Tie object names to action names – so On MouseClick > Show > Element1 would name the action OnMClickShow_Element1 or similar
    #410018 Score: 1
    Profile photo of Tim K
    Tim K
    contributor
    beginner
    intermediate
    advanced
    friend finder
    junior moderator
    advocate
    wise owl
    curious george
    Group Member
    249 pts
    @timk
    • Keep position and formatting of question elements when changing the type – Whenever I change the type from “Multiple Choice” to “Multiple Response” or vice versa, the “new” question is created from scratch and I have to reposition and restyle everything.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.