August 14, 2018 at 12:34 am #404404
I’ve tabled up a bunch of suggested improvements – some major and some minor – that I feel would greatly enhance the general usability of Lectora.
The courses I work on tend to be fairly large – up to 300 pages, thousands of assets and sometimes over a hundred actions on a page… and often 20 or 30 courses under development at any one time. These are all minor usability improvements, but when dealing with very complex projects with lots of custom interactions, even a second saved here or there can have a HUGE impact on effort and budget (and my sanity as a solo end-to-end developer).
- Allow copying of text from the debug window for easy saving and sharing of debug output
- Force debug window to constantly scroll to most recent line rather than text dropping off the bottom of the page
- Separate opacity settings for shape fill and stroke – currently transparency is applied to both equally
- Retain layer order when selecting multiple elements
- Allow text formatting (bold, italic etc) within callouts – currently restricted to colour change only
- Add ‘Right Click > Open File Location’ on multimedia elements such as images, video etc.
- Make text boxes automatically resize to fit bottom of text when blank lines are removed from end of text box
- Don’t expand an element when you rename it and press Enter – Enter should simply confirm the name change
- Allow visibility transitions (fade, etc) to be interrupted/overridden by other Show/Hide actions – currently a Hide action will have no effect on an element half way through a fade
- Allow zooming on the drag-and-drop ‘dropzone’ window to make it easier to get pixel-perfect
- Scale dropzones automatically when scaling a dropzone image for a drag-and-drop question
- Apply shadows and other effects to multiple selected elements – currently have to apply individually
- Keep an element selected when dragging it up/down the Title Explorer tree rather than selecting the page itself
- Following a find and replace, restore the expanded/collapsed state as it was rather than leaving everything expanded!
- Make ‘Initially Hidden’ applicable at group level and individual element level – so you could have a group set to hidden, but one element within the group set to not hidden, which then appears. This would give much greater flexibility for complex interactions – would be great if dropping an element into an Initially Hidden group would then apply Initially Hidden to the element by default, but you can “opt out” and show it if needed
- Keep crop settings when replacing cropped images through Properties ribbon
- MoveTo action – allow coordinate variables to be entered directly into the ribbon
- Keep ‘Lock Size/Position’ settings when replacing images through Properties ribbon (constrain to same size and position unless I ‘Reset to Original’ on the Properties ribbon
- When adding a new variable in the Conditions window, automatically add it to the next blank condition row in the list
- Find and replace with formatting (similar to Word, with checkboxes for bold, italic etc.)
- Triple-click to select line/paragraph (similar to Word)
- Set guide thickness to 1 pixel, regardless of zoom level – also recommend changing colour to cyan as in Photoshop/Illustrator
- Allow guides to be moved with cursor or adjusted with X/Y coordinates and provide an option to lock/unlock them
- Prevent search going all the way ‘around the horse’ to complete – would be great if it could tell which pages have already been checked and correctly detect when it’s reached the end of document
- General comment – lag when dragging elements on canvas, or up/down Title Explorer tree – is there anything that can be done here to bring responsiveness more in line with something like Photoshop/Illustrator? I have a hulking CAD-spec PC and graphics card… can be very frustrating when deadlines loom. For example, zooming in/out one step can take over a second to resolve.
DISCLAIMER: I am using Lectora v17.0.1 (10915) – some of these issues may have already been addressed! If this is the case please point them out, as that will help convince me to renew my upgrade subscription. 🙂
Fire away with any questions or comments!This post has received 3 votes up.August 14, 2018 at 1:54 am #404414
I can agree on most. 1 i however not completely ..
Retain layer order when selecting multiple elements
As it is now the order things pasting do retain its layer order…just depending on whether you select things from top down or bottom up. If you select in the different order they paste in the different order. Ok, it might be usefull to set a default to always keep things in the original order and add a checkbox for the reverse…
So instead of what you suggest i would say…
Retain layer order by default. Add a checkbox to reverse when selecting multiple elementsAugust 14, 2018 at 8:45 am #404470
Jennifer ValleyMember114 pts@jvalley4735
Thanks for sharing Cam! I’ll make sure our development team sees this list.August 14, 2018 at 6:34 pm #404532
Math, that’s a good point – didn’t realise that was the case when pasting items.
For that one I meant the way that selected items are shown in the viewport – after some further testing it appears that the layered ordered is displayed correctly when selecting items in the Title Explorer, but gets out of whack if you click on them directly in the canvas (see attached image).
This can get really tricky when you’re trying to select multiple elements directly from the canvas – often the largest element (in this case the grey rectangle) pops to the front and obscures everything else.
Attachments:August 15, 2018 at 8:12 pm #404675
Some more I’ve come up with:
- Allow negative numbers to be typed into the coordinates box at bottom of screen – currently says ‘-‘ is an invalid character
- Set Hide action to default to ‘This Object’ rather than top-level title element
- Add Right Click > Show/Hide in Title Explorer for easily toggling the visibility of multiple objects at once
- Allow selection of objects in separate groups from Title Explorer – can currently only select objects in different groups via the canvas
- Embed Transitions properties in the ribbon, allowing to select transition type and speed directly from ribbon rather than opening a separate popup – plenty of room on this ribbon
- MoveTo Action – allow editing of coordinates directly in ribbon rather than popup (if using the popup, adjust the tab order so it goes from X input to Y input, rather than Var/Random)
Will keep posting as I find them…This post has received 2 votes up.August 17, 2018 at 4:02 am #404839
On the topic Retain layer order when selecting multiple elements in defense of Trivantis developers…
They do check UI interface and behaviour in other mainstream tools. How? Well exact the same behaviour is in Adobe AfterEffects. Depending on how you select elements, they paste in that same order… top->down or down->top.August 27, 2018 at 4:53 am #405468
This post has received 2 votes up.August 28, 2018 at 3:15 am #405536
- Allow disinheritance for grouped elements – Currently it’s not possible to disinherit elements that are part of a group. It’s only possible to disinherit the entire group.
This post has received 1 vote up.September 13, 2018 at 12:10 am #406928
- Allow editing of course title when publishing to ReviewLink – Quite often I want to publish different versions of the same course for review, e.g. with and without randomization of assessment questions. I’d like to give the versions more meaningful titles than “(2)”.
- Update thumbnail when publishing to ReviewLink – When I copy an AWT and produce a new course from the copy, the thumbnail of the previous version is kept, although the background image that’s used in the thumbnail is not in the course any more and I delete the “review” folder before publishing.
A few more:
This post has received 4 votes up.October 21, 2018 at 9:12 am #410018
- Allow ‘Add an Image’ popup window to be resized to accommodate large thumbnail Explorer view options
- Ability to filter publish window to show only errors – often having to hunt through pages and pages of publish messages to find one or two red error lines
- Ability to resize multiple selected objects at once
- More granular MoveTo/transition speed sliders – ability to enter a numerical % would be amazing!
- Some kind of timeline view like Flash / AfterEffects that allows you to scrub back/forth through animated elements rather than trying to time with hardcoded delays (a big ask, I know)
- Improvements to ‘Convert to Image’ – has been raised often but would be great if this offered very high resolution PNG conversion, suitable for text
- Automatically swap (C), (R), and (TM) for trademark symbols – as in Office etc.
- Allow multiple variables to be selected in Variable Manager for deletion, rather than deleting one-by-one
- Filter for Title Explorer where you can type an object name and only matches are shown (could also be implemented for variable/object drop-down lists – would be great to type into these and have the list filtered down)
- Tie object names to action names – so On MouseClick > Show > Element1 would name the action OnMClickShow_Element1 or similar
This post has received 2 votes up.January 4, 2019 at 5:39 am #414775
- Keep position and formatting of question elements when changing the type – Whenever I change the type from “Multiple Choice” to “Multiple Response” or vice versa, the “new” question is created from scratch and I have to reposition and restyle everything.
When copying questions:
This post has received 2 votes up.January 7, 2019 at 5:25 pm #414916
- Create new question variable names in the correct sequence – I have a test with 3 pages, 1 question per page: Question_0001, …_0002, …_0003. I copy the 3 pages to create new questions. It seems like the third page is copied first: The question variable on page 4 now is Question_0006, page 6 has Question_0004. It should be vice versa to let me know that page 4 has Question_0004.
- Default name of a question should be according to the variable number – When I copy Question 1 (Question_0001) the copy should be Question 2 (Question_0002) or Question 34 (Question_0034) instead of Question 1 (Question_0034), to help me deduce the variable name from the question name.
A few more:
This post has received 2 votes up.January 9, 2019 at 4:43 am #415049
- Remove focus on selected object when hidden – if I select multiple objects on the canvas then hide one in the Title Explorer tree, moving the visible object will also move the hidden one.
- Checkbox options to find and replace within Page, Chapter or Entire Title – rather than only searching through the entire title
- Move Publish Strings options from Lectora Preferences to Publish Options – currently painful to switch publish string languages at a global level before publishing (sometimes forgetting to change it, can become time-consuming when batch publishing many courses to multiple languages)
I second esp. point 3 to make the publish strings a title option instead of a system setting.This post has received 1 vote up.January 9, 2019 at 8:14 am #415065
This post has received 2 votes up.
- Set a default for textelement styling – When creating a new textelement the styling ( in Lectora Online ) is set to a margin of 5. For some that might be fine, for me it is not, because it makes aligning elements with text harder. So instead of a fixed value i would suggest define a variable that can be changed per title.
- Remember visible/invisible elements in title explorer on reopening – Now it doesnot. All is standard made visible. With complex pages with dozens of layers and elements it gets tough to manage. First you need to make things invisible in the title explorer that you dont want to show at start. And you need to do that over and over again each time you make changes to that page. Gets quite cumbersome when you have pages with more then 20 layers/elements/ groups on it. So i would like that visible/invisible state to be remembered on reopening.
January 9, 2019 at 8:25 am #415073
- This reply was modified 10 months, 1 week ago by Math Notermans.
As a workaround for this one:
Allow selection of objects in separate groups from Title Explorer – can currently only select objects in different groups via the canvas
You can select multiple objects in separate groups by freehand dragging a rectangle around the wanted objects in the stage-view. Offcourse this is limited, but sometimes its a workaround when selecting objects in separate groups.
Doing it like this, you select all elements which bounding box falls completely within your drag-selection.This post has received 1 vote up.
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.