Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Chris Smith
    Chris Smith
    beginner
    intermediate
    curious george
    wise owl
    @csmith3209

I don’t know much about how screen readers work, so I have a question. I have a simple interaction in which users click on a list of various years to see economic data. (See the screenshot attached.)

When I initially built it, I did it all on one slide. I made the text and graphics corresponding with each year into groups and hid them. When the user clicked on a year, it showed the group and clicking on the group hid it again. However, I don’t know how screen readers deal with hidden content. Do they read it anyway even though its hidden? Do they wait and read the hidden content when it appears on the screen? Do they not read it at all?

So, now I am doing it differently. I am using a separate slides for everything. When the student clicks on a year, it goes to a new slide with the corresponding information. Clicking anywhere on the slide takes the student back. The only problem with this approach is I figure every time the student clicks to go back, the screen reader is going to read the whole originating slide again.

My big question is which approach is best? How do I make sure interactions are accessible.

In a second but related question, does anyone know how screenreaders deal with the feedback pop-ups in Lectora test questions?

Thanks

Attachments:
    #435808 Score: 0
    Profile photo of nicholas maharaj
    nicholas maharaj
    beginner
    intermediate
    picture perfect
    wise owl
    curious george
    contributor
    1 pt
    @nmaharaj8389

Hey Chris, could you open this issue in Support and attention Nicholas, I am really interested in figuring out what your asking

Thanks,

-N

#438432 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Jason Dalrymple
    Jason Dalrymple
    beginner
    intermediate
    wise owl
    curious george
    contributor
    friend finder
    advanced
    picture perfect
    47 pts
    @JasonADal

<span class=”bbp-user-nicename”><span class=”handle-sign”>@</span>csmith3209 – I realize this was quite some time ago, but did you get answers re: hidden/shown/hidden text like you were doing with the single page solution and about feedback boxes?</span>

If you’re using v18, screen readers will now see and then read newly displayed text boxes. This was a huge improvement, as prior to 18, you needed to use CSS and JavaScript and the Change Contents action in Lectora for it to work properly. I had very strict guidelines I had to follow, so had a ton of help from the forum getting it to work properly.

In terms of feedback pop-ups, if you’re using the default feedback option (i.e. and alert box), the screen reader will see it. Otherwise, I THINK the same applies to custom feedback text blocks as any other text block – you need to program it to see the feedback text block.

If you ever want to test yourself, there’s a great free/donation based screen reader called NVDA – It’s what I regularly use to test my pages for things like reading order, object names, and pop-up/change contents text blocks. It’s very comparable to JAWS and used at nearly the same rate. It’s definitely worth checking out.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.