Explore the community Forums Lectora Lectora Questions & Answers Audio (SME records) Locking all objects (Lectora Desktop v12)

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of dmascottrr
    dmascottrr
    beginner
    intermediate
    @dmascottrr

I am seeking assistance:

Until now our SME uses ReviewLink and Audacity to narrate an eLearning course. I then take the WAV files and convert it to MP3/MP4 and import it into the Lectora Title.  Herein lies the rub: juggling back and forth can be time consuming.

My question is: the SME would like to use Lectora to insert her audio narrative. With only my license, how can the SME use Lectora without tampering with the objects, text, variables, actions etc.?  Plus, I create complex layers (hide/show/toggle) actions.  In Edit mode, she will may see a clutter of objects on the page.  Isn’t it impossible to Record in Run or Preview mode?

What are some Best Practices?  Is there a way to lock all objects?  Or perhaps, is there a hierarchy level (developer, editor, etc.).  This is for the Desktop version — not online.

Any help would be most appreciated.

#300658 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Jennifer Valley
    Jennifer Valley
    contributor
    beginner
    friend finder
    advanced
    lectora beginner
    verified member
    wise owl
    picture perfect
    curious george
    117 pts
    @jvalley4735

Hi @dmascottrr!

You can lock all objects within your course by accessing it’s properties and selecting the “Size/Position Locked” option but that only works on things such as text boxes, images, buttons and more graphical features.  There isn’t a way (that I know of) to lock variables or actions.

Your right in there isn’t a way to preview or run the course while having the audio recording tool open. It’s meant to be part of the creation process and it locks down whatever your working on to run the program.

I’m assuming you have Publisher because you didn’t mention anything about Camtasia (screen recording and audio tool) or Snagit (image capture and editing tool that also takes basic videos).  I would recommend looking into it. You can run Snagit or Camtasia while the course is running if you have the Inspire package. They run as independent tools with Lectora integration so publishing would be a lot easier. You can talk to your account representative about switching from Publisher to Inspire to add these into your tool repository and also get access to the eLearning Brothers template/asset library and an interaction builder. If your not sure who your representative is let me know and I can find out for you.  Using Camtasia or Snagit would make the process 110% smoother for you in my opinion..

If you want to trust the SME with a copy of the project I would recommend that you discuss the process needed to accomplish recording.  This way you can establish guidelines and expectations so both of you know what could happen if something is changed. The only thing he/she should be doing is accessing the files and selecting the icon to record.  He/she may need to run the course to see the flow  or to logically piece out the audio.  I would turn on the “eye” feature if you haven’t already. (I call it that because it use to be an eye ball icon that you would select to turn visibility on and off; they switched it to a checkbox at some point in time). Under the file menu and then Lectora Preferences is the ability to “Show visibility check boxes in Title Explorer”. Then your SME can cycle through the various progressions of the page to see what needs to be recorded. If your going to leave this control to the SME then I would recommend going through the course each time you present a new one so he/she can understand your development process (we all word things differently!) I would provide him/her with a copy and keep an original on my desktop/server. This way your guaranteed a “fresh” copy if anything were to happen. You could even just move the audio files from the SME’s copy of the file to the “master” once he/she is done so you wouldn’t have to double check that actions and variables are still the same.

There isn’t a way to distinguish users within the product.  You could give someone a copy of the file and they could use the note tool but that’s just finding a solution to your problem.  I really wouldn’t recommend it. It’s really meant for developing only and then to publish it out to a) make sure your getting to experience the course as the end audience will and b) to have someone review it. From that aspect I really think Reviewlink is still the way to go.  That way you can control the copy that’s being presented while collecting and monitoring feedback.

Let me know if you have any comments or questions on what I wrote and I’d be happy to explain anything further 🙂

#300706 Score: 0
    dmascottrr
    beginner
    intermediate
    @dmascottrr

Hi:  Just a quick thank you for your thorough response!  I really appreciate it.  I’m going to check it out.  – Debra

#301367 Score: 0
    dmascottrr
    beginner
    intermediate
    @dmascottrr

Hi Jennifer:

You were kind to help me with the issue about audio narration for a SME.  Since we only have one Desktop license for Lectora Publisher, the SME would have to work at my desk.  She is not amenable to this.  She would rather have portability to record the narration from home or at her desk.  In addition, I often have layers on the slides, so she can not record in preview mode; only in edit mode.

Therefore, do you know if the Lectora Publisher Online allows for audio narration while looking at the slides?  The hope is to give the SME flexibility and portability to record the slides without modifying the objects on the slides.

Thank you in advance.

#301380 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Jennifer Valley
    Jennifer Valley
    contributor
    beginner
    friend finder
    advanced
    lectora beginner
    verified member
    wise owl
    picture perfect
    curious george
    117 pts
    @jvalley4735

To my knowledge Online doesn’t offer the ability to play through the course while recording.  I’ll add it to the list of possible enhancements.

Another alternative would be to publish the course to PowerPoint and have him/her run through that way.  I’m not sure if you have content on pop ups, triggers or overlays because then it would be quite difficult.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.