Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Brooke1713
    Brooke1713
    @Brooke1713

I am venting about bullets in Lectora!!! Coming from Articulate, I want to pull my hair out! (Don’t get me wrong, there are great things about Lectora that you cant do in Articulate – but Articulate always looked clean and neat as a published course).

My bullet points have to appear as the instructor talks about them in the video for each page. Therefore, I have to paste in each bullet point one-by-one and line them up perfectly vertical and horizontally. It is quite time consuming, but I don’t mind – that part.

I even copy and paste into notepad and then paste unformatted text for each bullet point as suggested. And then I format each bullet point seperately as Arial text, size 16 font. Again, time conusming and should be an unnecessary step – but I can deal with it.

What I do mind is that when I preview my course, it looks fine, but when I PUBLISH my course (to HTML or SCORM) the bullets appear big and small, sometimes there is a space in the first line – so that it doesn’t line up with the text in the second line, or there is a space on the second line so the line above doesn’t line up.

Again, this would be fine if I could go back into my course and fix, but everything looks fine on the edit screen. There is nothing I can do but copy and paste into notepad AGAIN and then paste unformatted text into Lectora AGAIN! It is making me nauseous just thinking about it. And yet I have to do it for 117+ bullets for this one particular course – AGAIN.

Thank you for letting me vent.
    Brooke

#284410 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Mike Nelson
    Mike Nelson
    beginner
    intermediate
    curious george
    wise owl
    advanced
    friend finder
    contributor
    1 pt
    @MNelson

I just talked with Trivantis Support because the formatting of numbered steps and bullets is still a big problem in version 11. Their answer: it’s the browser’s fault. They just export a simple ordered list and it’s up to the browser to determine how to handle it. When I asked what I should do to fix the problem, they said to modify the CSS. My response – the point of Lectora is to produce HTML courses without having to know how to code. In my opinion, if the numbered list/bullet button is so prominent on the Lectora interface, it should work as advertised. I’ve used several other software tools that handle it properly – why can’t Lectora do the same? Inexcusable to let something so fundamental go unfixed for so long!

#284409 Score: 1
    Profile photo of Sergey Snegirev
    Sergey Snegirev
    contributor
    intermediate
    advanced
    friend finder
    lab member
    junior moderator
    advocate
    LUC16
    LUC16 Attendee
    wise owl
    336 pts
    @ssneg

@mnelson 50257 wrote:

They just export a simple ordered list and it’s up to the browser to determine how to handle it.

What?! The exact problem is that they DO NOT export a list, they export a piece of terrible, terrible code that looks like this:

DIV
    P
    SPAN 1 /SPAN
    SPAN nbsp;nbsp;nbsp;nbsp;nbsp;nbsp;nbsp;nbsp;nbsp;nbsp;nbsp;nbsp;nbsp;nbsp;nbsp; /SPAN
    SPAN your text for item 1 /SPAN
    /P
    P
    SPAN 2 /SPAN
    SPAN nbsp;nbsp;nbsp;nbsp;nbsp;nbsp;nbsp;nbsp;nbsp;nbsp;nbsp;nbsp;nbsp;nbsp;nbsp; /SPAN
    SPAN your text for item 2 /SPAN
    /P
    and so on
    /DIV[/CODE]

This is absolutely not the proper HTML way to handle lists. Not even close.[CODE]DIV
    P
    SPAN 1 /SPAN
    SPAN your text for item 1 /SPAN
    /P
    P
    SPAN 2 /SPAN
    SPAN your text for item 2 /SPAN
    /P
    and so on
    /DIV[/CODE]

This is absolutely not the proper HTML way to handle lists. Not even close.

This post has received 1 vote up.
    #284413 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Mary Word
    Mary Word
    beginner
    intermediate
    Group Member
    @maryword

I have wasted lots of time trying to get bulleted lists looking right – often ending up with ubulleted text paired with graphic bullets – such a huge waste of time for something that should work out of the box.

Now I am working on a course we started in version X and have moved over to 11. At first I was thrilled to see that bullets had text that wrapped correctly so that eh second line of text lined up with the first when viewed in a browser! Of course, I had to go remove all the soft returns and spaces I had put in to make it lokk OK before…

After testing this in 4 browsers, I went on… now, it is broken again. Was there an auto update that broke it when my back was turned? Really? What is going on?
    Mary

#284414 Score: 0
    Profile photo of justspiffy
    justspiffy
    beginner
    intermediate
    wise owl
    curious george
    contributor
    @justspiffy

I seem to be running into the same type of issue, and wondering if anyone has had to deal with it. Instead of using bullets from Lectora, I am using a simple check mark image, and spent a lot of time lining them up with the point for an 80 page module. I just published it, and the images of the check marks are all over the place!! Not lined up at all where i put them. Would this be the same type of issue? Not sure how to fix this one other than doing it image by image (there is over 400) and would take me FOREVER!! Any suggestions for this problem??

#284412 Score: 0
    Profile photo of ash311
    ash311
    @ash311

Every time I have a list of bullets or bullet images, I create a table and put them into a table column, row with the text in the next column, row. I know this workaround was mentioned previously on this thread, but it does work very nicely. WYS-IS-WYG!

#284411 Score: 0
    Profile photo of prabha10
    prabha10
    beginner
    intermediate
    @prabha10

I know this is an old thread, but bullets are still ornery (at least in Lectora X) – I’ve been on a three year quest for a good way, and recently discovered that you can use a math object symbol to create bullets – round ones, squares, dashes, etc.

So far we are still using tables to control the hanging indent, but I found you can create a short cut for each type of bullet (alt + 1, alt + 2, alt + 3 etc. for the levels work nicely). The symbols come out pretty small, so you’ll have to reformat the symbol to match your font size. I use a style for each bullet level, for example, 14 pt. bold verdana to match the 10 pt. body text. You can create a page layout so you don’t have to it every time. The styles and layouts help with mass changes if you decide to use a different size, color, symbol shape, etc.

Not sure how this works with other special publishing criteria… but so far no problems.

#284415 Score: 0
    Profile photo of sirius6
    sirius6
    @sirius6

@mnelson 50257 wrote:

I just talked with Trivantis Support because the formatting of numbered steps and bullets is still a big problem in version 11. Their answer: it’s the browser’s fault. They just export a simple ordered list and it’s up to the browser to determine how to handle it. When I asked what I should do to fix the problem, they said to modify the CSS. My response – the point of Lectora is to produce HTML courses without having to know how to code. In my opinion, if the numbered list/bullet button is so prominent on the Lectora interface, it should work as advertised. I’ve used several other software tools that handle it properly – why can’t Lectora do the same? Inexcusable to let something so fundamental go unfixed for so long!

I completely agree. In my dealings with Lectora support, I’ve found them to be lazy and useless. You cant blame it on browser error and expect users to fix it in CSS when it’s the job of the software WE PAY FOR to handle that.

#284408 Score: 0
    Profile photo of lauram
    lauram
    2 pts
    @lauram

sirius6 – I am really sorry for your frustration, and will continue to work with you to try to resolve your issues. (See my other reply here: http://lectora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14715&p=52465&viewfull=1#post52465)

Please know that we are in the process of over-hauling our text engine and plan to address many of these issues and more in a future release. We cannot share our timetable or schedule for this at this time, but please stay tuned as we announce future product releases and updates.

#306866 Score: 0
    Profile photo of fdillard
    fdillard
    beginner
    intermediate
    @fdillard

It’s not any better in version 16. I’m having problems with some small bullets and others large on the same page even after copying and pasting. I can’t let this go out like this!

Fredia

#306869 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Jennifer Valley
    Jennifer Valley
    contributor
    beginner
    friend finder
    advanced
    lectora beginner
    verified member
    wise owl
    picture perfect
    curious george
    114 pts
    @jvalley4735

The development team has been doing some extensive work over the past couple months to make the experience with bullets and numbered listed a lot smoother.  I hate to be the person who says wait til the the next release but 16.1 is a promising start to improvements. I’ve seen it in action and as a previous customer I was very happy with the preview. Fingers crossed you love it to!

#348839 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Nick Powell
    Nick Powell
    beginner
    intermediate
    friend finder
    curious george
    contributor
    wise owl
    @npowell9105

We have Lectora 2016 and this is STILL an issue!!! It’s SO FRUSTRATING!

EVERY time I copy and paste text from elsewhere (word, powerpoint, notepad even) the final bullet point is ALWAYS larger than the rest!! What the hell people!? I’ve wasted SO much time trying so many variations to the point where i just delete it and type it manually!!

FIX IT, PLEEEEEAASSEEE!!!!!!!!!

• This reply was modified 2 years, 10 months ago by Profile photo of Nick Powell Nick Powell.
    Attachments:
    #348937 Score: 1
    Profile photo of Darrel Somoza
    Darrel Somoza
    contributor
    friend finder
    beginner
    intermediate
    junior moderator
    advanced
    wise owl
    curious george
    200 pts
    @Klaatu

Wonky non web standard coding/programming is at fault. I find this work around helps. Add an extra bullet, preview in browser, close preview, delete extra bullet. Preview again and the bullets should all be the same size.

Of course we shouldn’t have to do this but so far it’s worked for me. STOP READING here if you don’t want to hear me venting.

I’d like to know why Lectora doesn’t output the same standard HTML5 a good web designer/developer would code. Almost all the issues people have with this program are caused by the programmatic solutions Trivantis employs to do things that simple (and I mean SIMPLE) CSS would handle such as standard media queries. Why not handle responsive design with the most widely used HTML, CSS and JavaScript framework – Bootstrap; it’s got 107,000+ stars and just under 50,000 forks on Github as of this morning. Take a look at BootStrap Studio if you want to see how a program can be used to make correctly coded responsive sites (although it’s just as easy to code Bootstrap by hand from scratch).

Besides not having to grapple with runtime generated code, odd formatting issues like bullets, FOUC (flash of unstyled content), inline styling, etc., the most concerning part of the current published content is how it will hold up to the ever changing future of the web and browsers. Following web standard best practices is the best way to protect future compatibility. Compartmentalize CSS, JS and HTML. Do not use inline styling unless absolutely necessary, combine external JS to reduce HTTP requests as much as possible. Don’t use weighted graphics where CSS can be employed. I can go on and on.

I know Trivantis is trying real hard to make it simple for non-web designers but at what cost? Another forum member, Jason, is trying to manipulate the MediaElement player for his needs and the fighting with the code that is required actually makes embedding a standalone version of the same MediaElement.js player Lectora employs easier to deal with. That’s just plain silly.

I don’t want to leave this on a bad note. I sound like I’m disgruntled, I’m not. Just a little selfishly disappointed. Lectora really is a good program for most elearning authoring needs and even with what I consider to be some down sides it’s amazing to see what people with literally no web design experience can build.

This post has received 1 vote up.
    #367232 Score: 0
    Profile photo of amanda hetherington
    amanda hetherington
    beginner
    intermediate
    friend finder
    curious george
    picture perfect
    wise owl
    contributor
    7 pts
    @ahetherington9113

Just looking through this post, and realised the original post was made in 2010, and doesn’t seem to be fixed all these years later. I’m using Lectora Inspire 17.0.5 (the latest release) and still have wonky bullets/numbered lists.

I’ve started indenting bulleted lists to make them look how I want them to look (i.e. in edit mode they appear aligned to my heading, but in preview/output they have moved left), and so that reviewers don’t think my work is wonky.

#368566 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Jennifer Valley
    Jennifer Valley
    contributor
    beginner
    friend finder
    advanced
    lectora beginner
    verified member
    wise owl
    picture perfect
    curious george
    114 pts
    @jvalley4735

We made some significant changes in Lectora 16.1 (or thereabouts) so that they better match in edit mode what you will see in the browser and we continue to improve the experience. Most recently, we made some significant changes in Lectora Online, and will look to migrate some of those to Lectora desktop as well. If you see something that you feel needs to be brought to our attention feel free to submit a support ticket with your file so we can review even further 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.