Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 55 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Brian Roemer
    Brian Roemer
    beginner
    intermediate
    friend finder
    curious george
    contributor
    wise owl
    product reviewer
    picture perfect
    3 pts
    @broeme

I’m building an accessible course with v18 and experiencing browser crashes in Chrome.  The crash happens on a video page when clicking the full screen option in the player controller.  Full screen works perfectly in Edge, IE, Firefox and Safari on multiple devices.  Chrome appears to be the only browser affected.

My course is accessible, so the seamless player option is disabled.  If I disable the Web Accessible setting in the Title Options and publish the course using the seamless player (no other changes to the course content), the problem is resolved…full screen in Chrome works just fine.

Has anyone else run into this issue?  Could this be a bug with the non-seamless player?

Thanks in advance everyone!

BrianR

#419302 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Darrel Somoza
    Darrel Somoza
    contributor
    friend finder
    beginner
    intermediate
    junior moderator
    advanced
    wise owl
    curious george
    195 pts
    @Klaatu

Is Chrome up to date?

#419304 Score: 0
    Darrel Somoza
    contributor
    friend finder
    beginner
    intermediate
    junior moderator
    advanced
    wise owl
    curious george
    195 pts
    @Klaatu

If it is on, you might want to try to turn off hardware acceleration in Chrome as well. Its located in the advanced portion of settings under System near the bottom.

#419306 Score: 0
    Brian Roemer
    beginner
    intermediate
    friend finder
    curious george
    contributor
    wise owl
    product reviewer
    picture perfect
    3 pts
    @broeme

Indeed.  I’m able to replicate the issue using the latest version of Chrome and the previous release.  The issue happens on Chrome for both mobile and PC.

The only exception is if I use my ancient Galaxy Tab 2 (Chrome from 2015).  On that device, full screen works fine.  But, the browser has changed so much in 4 years, it’s hardly seems like a valuable test.

BrianR

#419308 Score: 0
    Brian Roemer
    beginner
    intermediate
    friend finder
    curious george
    contributor
    wise owl
    product reviewer
    picture perfect
    3 pts
    @broeme

I’ll reimport the non-seamless course again (testing on SCORM Cloud), and try changing that Hardware acceleration.

BrianR

#419311 Score: 0
    Brian Roemer
    beginner
    intermediate
    friend finder
    curious george
    contributor
    wise owl
    product reviewer
    picture perfect
    3 pts
    @broeme

Hardware acceleration was enabled in my browser settings.  I disabled it, relaunched the browser and course (non-seamless version), and the crash replicated.

#419408 Score: 0
    Profile photo of CarlFink
    CarlFink
    beginner
    intermediate
    contributor
    LUC16 Attendee
    wise owl
    curious george
    advanced
    18 pts
    @CarlFink

Can you attach the course here?

Do you get any kind of crash message/log?

#419423 Score: 0
    Brian Roemer
    beginner
    intermediate
    friend finder
    curious george
    contributor
    wise owl
    product reviewer
    picture perfect
    3 pts
    @broeme

Thanks for asking Carl.  I’m not able to attach the course itself as it contains proprietary content that my customer sells.  Perhaps they’d let me attach a stripped down version…I’ll check.

The error manifests itself as a total browser crash.  Upon clicking the full screen button in the video controller, the two attached screen shots appear.  The “Course_Window” capture is the child window that displays the course content and “LMS_Window” is the SCORM Cloud window that waits in the background until the course session is over.

I’ll be attempting to narrow down the issue further today with some additional version, feature, and setting changes.

BrianR

#419463 Score: 0
    CarlFink
    beginner
    intermediate
    contributor
    LUC16 Attendee
    wise owl
    curious george
    advanced
    18 pts
    @CarlFink

If you press F12, Chrome gives you the Developer tools, which among other things let you see what JavaScript is being executed at the moment of crash. Just a thought. I’ve found a bug in the Trivantis.js file in the past that way. (I don’t even know JavaScript, so you don’t need to be an expert.)

#419509 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Dave Draper
    Dave Draper
    beginner
    intermediate
    friend finder
    wise owl
    picture perfect
    @ddraper2728

Same Chrome  Crash issue for the last week.

All other Browsers are working

Chrome is Version 72.0.3626.121 (Official Build) (64-bit)

#419558 Score: 0
    Brian Roemer
    beginner
    intermediate
    friend finder
    curious george
    contributor
    wise owl
    product reviewer
    picture perfect
    3 pts
    @broeme

Hey Dave…thanks for confirming another instance of my issue.  That’s the same Chrome version I’m running on my dev laptop.

I thought maybe the issue could be with the v18 non-seamless player.  To test that theory, I pulled a course published with v16.2.2 (pre seamless), one published with v17.1.2 (seamless disabled), and another title published with v17.1.7 (seamless disabled).  These are courses that have worked fine in the past, but today, they all exhibited the same issue.  Attempting to go full screen video in Chrome caused the browser to crash.

I’ve been able to replicate this Chrome issue on multiple PCs, Android phones, and a Mac (some at completely different locations and on different networks).  Interestingly enough, the latest version of Chrome for iPad and iPhone works just fine!  I was able to successfully go full screen on multiple Apple devices.

So I’m considering the test results above, the fact that all other browsers work fine with my non-seamless courses, and the seamless versions of the courses work perfectly in Chrome.  Thus far, the evidence points to an issue between a recent version of Chrome and any non-seamless course, new or old.

#419573 Score: 0
    Darrel Somoza
    contributor
    friend finder
    beginner
    intermediate
    junior moderator
    advanced
    wise owl
    curious george
    195 pts
    @Klaatu

I didn’t ask but I assume you already tried to clear the browser cache? You might want to also disable chromes sandbox security to see if that makes a difference. How is the video formatted? Does it happen if you replace the video with a known working file?

#419578 Score: 0
    CarlFink
    beginner
    intermediate
    contributor
    LUC16 Attendee
    wise owl
    curious george
    advanced
    18 pts
    @CarlFink

“Interestingly enough, the latest version of Chrome for iPad and iPhone works just fine!  I was able to successfully go full screen on multiple Apple devices.” That’s because it’s Safari. OK, “Chrome” for iOS adds some functionality but Apple, last I heard, doesn’t actually allow other browsers on iOS, they just allow other apps to incorporate Safari in a different GUI and add features.

Darrel, since Brian has had the issue on Chrome on multiple devices running different operating systems, cache issues seem an unlikely explanation.

#419583 Score: 0
    Brian Roemer
    beginner
    intermediate
    friend finder
    curious george
    contributor
    wise owl
    product reviewer
    picture perfect
    3 pts
    @broeme

Darrel – Yep, I’ve tried a number of browser-related fixes.  Version update, clear cache, disable extensions, reset to defaults, uninstall/reinstall…etc.  Regarding the video file(s) themselves, I use MP4 format and embed it as a local video into Lectora (so I can utilize VTT captions).  During my testing yesterday, I changed the video setting to “Other streaming video” and pointed the video hosted on our webserver.  Changing this setting didn’t change the result, Chrome still crashed when clicking full screen.  Similarly, I’ve tried different videos in my test course same result.

Carl – Thanks for information on “Chrome” for iOS.  That sounds like a very Apple thing to do, and would help explain why full screen works fine on those devices.

#419605 Score: 0
    CarlFink
    beginner
    intermediate
    contributor
    LUC16 Attendee
    wise owl
    curious george
    advanced
    18 pts
    @CarlFink

By the way, using 17.0.6 I can fullscreen video just fine in Chrome 72.0.3626.121. Unless the course is played from an LMS, in which case fullscreen just doesn’t work. I’m pretty sure that’s a separate issue, though.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 55 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.