Explore the community Forums Lectora Online Lectora Online Questions & Answers Content not scaling properly on mobile devices when published with seamless play

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Jason Craft
    Jason Craft
    beginner
    intermediate
    wise owl
    friend finder
    contributor
    curious george
    2 pts
    @jcraft6852

I have published a few titles with the Seamless Play box checked. In these titles I also have “Scale content to fill window” checked, and “Fit content to Width” unchecked. When viewing the published title on various mobile tablets (Samsung Galaxy and Kindle Fire) in LANDSCAPE orientation, the title extends too far below the visible dimensions of the tablet browser window. The same titles published without seamless play, and with the same other publish settings, DO scale properly — the entire title fits within the dimensions of the tablet browser window.

Has anyone else come across this? Is it a bug, or is there something I could be doing wrong?

#378255 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Joe Wieloch
    Joe Wieloch
    beginner
    intermediate
    friend finder
    contributor
    LUC16 Attendee
    verified member
    wise owl
    LUC17 Attendee
    advanced
    picture perfect
    74 pts
    @wheels

That sounds interesting.  Those settings should not affect mobile views, they are only for the desktop view (fill browser and fit width).

Mobile content should always scale to the width of the device.  The height may fit depending upon the page and device height. There should be no difference in page height when publishing with Seamless Play Publish or not.  I’ll run this by the QA group to check.  If you have the name of a title you are experiencing this with we will be happy to take a look at it.

#378275 Score: 0
    Jason Craft
    beginner
    intermediate
    wise owl
    friend finder
    contributor
    curious george
    2 pts
    @jcraft6852

Thanks for the reply Joe! I appreciate you looking into it with the QA group. I may be able to offer a few more details that would hopefully help. The way that the scaling worked on mobile devices prior to the recent update to 4.0 was great! At least from our perspective…We want our course pages to appear in full, even on mobile devices—we want the user to be able to see the entire screen without having to scroll down.

See the attachment titled pic1. This is a picture of one of our titles (named Agile Fundamentals) that was published with the prior version of LO (before 4.0) as it currently appears in our LMS (on a Samsung Galaxy Tablet in Landscape orientation).

You can see that there is extra space on the sides of the title (because the content is scaling to adjust to the height of the device in landscape mode.

The publish settings used are shown in the attachment titled “Publish Settings”.

Again, that’s an existing course that was published prior to LO 4.0.

Now see the attachment titled pic2. I just now published the same title with the same publishing settings and uploaded it to the same LMS, and viewed in on the same Samsung tablet – and this is what it looks like.

I guess I was wrong in my post and the Seamless Play setting has nothing to do with the issue we are having. But hopefully you can see that something changed with the new LO 4.0 that is causing our courses to scale differently now on tablets. I know you say that those settings should not affect mobile views, but those settings did (in the prior LO version) affect mobile views the same way they affected desktop views. We’d really like to be able to have them working the way they used to.

Hopefully this helps illustrate what we are seeing! Thanks again for reaching out.

Jason

#379382 Score: 0
    Joe Wieloch
    beginner
    intermediate
    friend finder
    contributor
    LUC16 Attendee
    verified member
    wise owl
    LUC17 Attendee
    advanced
    picture perfect
    74 pts
    @wheels

Thank you for this valuable input.  We have been looking into a similar issue that came in through support.  I will provide this to the software engineer who is looking at it and ask him to contact you with his findings.  Sorry for the delay in replying.  – Joe

#379619 Score: 0
    Jason Craft
    beginner
    intermediate
    wise owl
    friend finder
    contributor
    curious george
    2 pts
    @jcraft6852

Thanks for the update Joe, I’ve been curious to hear your thoughts! This issue is somewhat urgent for us as we are delaying the release of a major title in hopes that the issue can be resolved. But we will continue to wait because it’s important for us.  Feel free to have your software engineer call or email me if he has any results, questions, needs more details, etc. Thanks!

#380206 Score: 0
    Joe Wieloch
    beginner
    intermediate
    friend finder
    contributor
    LUC16 Attendee
    verified member
    wise owl
    LUC17 Attendee
    advanced
    picture perfect
    74 pts
    @wheels

Hi Jason…

We had a discussion about this and definitely see where the code changed.  Previously we did apply the fit to window scaling even if we were in mobile.  There was a “fix” put in to not do this scaling for mobile.  This is because mobile already scales for the width and we did not envision this use case (where you want the height to always fit).

Thanks for showing us that we really should enable this feature for mobile.  We plan to do this in a near future release. In the meantime the engineer looking at this put together a library object that will allow this behavior in your title, I have attached it here.

–  Joe

Attachments:
    1. Mobile-Scaling.wwo
    #380229 Score: 0
    Jason Craft
    beginner
    intermediate
    wise owl
    friend finder
    contributor
    curious george
    2 pts
    @jcraft6852

Thanks, although I tried the Library Object and it didn’t seem to work. I put the library object at the top of our title, published to SCORM, selected “Scale content to fill window” and unchecked “Fit content to width”. When previewing the title, I’m not seeing any change, it is not scaling to fit the height in LANDSCAPE orientation. I tested on a Samsung Galaxy running Chrome. Let me know if I may have put the library object in the wrong spot.

#380449 Score: 0
    Joe Wieloch
    beginner
    intermediate
    friend finder
    contributor
    LUC16 Attendee
    verified member
    wise owl
    LUC17 Attendee
    advanced
    picture perfect
    74 pts
    @wheels

Hi Jason,  sorry about that.  I hadn’t tested it….  We will put the fix into our 4.1.1 maintenance release coming in January.  See if this workaround is acceptable (it’s a little clunky but we’ll have a fix for this soon).

You can put an on show JavaScript action on the AU with a short delay that will scale the content. I’m attaching the action in a library object.

#380529 Score: 0
    Jason Craft
    beginner
    intermediate
    wise owl
    friend finder
    contributor
    curious george
    2 pts
    @jcraft6852

That worked! Thanks for the temporary workaround. While not ideal with the delayed (quick) resize, it’s definitely usable and a valuable and appreciated improvement for our users. We will look forward to the maintenance release in January, that will be good timing for a couple of our “bigger” title releases. I’ll happily use your library object until then. Thanks again for the support.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.