Explore the community Forums Lectora Lectora Questions & Answers Cookie Expiration Date

Tagged: 

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Reiner Fuest
    Reiner Fuest
    beginner
    intermediate
    contributor
    @rfuest6134

It seems to be, that lectora modules published to HTML (no LMS) are working with cookies for variables that should be used in different sessions, which exire after one week.

Is it always one week and is there any way to manage the cookie expiration date?

#301108 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Jennifer Valley
    Jennifer Valley
    contributor
    beginner
    friend finder
    advanced
    lectora beginner
    verified member
    wise owl
    picture perfect
    curious george
    114 pts
    @jvalley4735

If you’re publishing to HTML (no LMS) the cookies will remain until the maximum amount of data is reached.  I found some general guidelines doing a Google search but this doesn’t take into consideration the individuals that manually clear their cookies and cache.  The time frame for which one user versus another would reach these numbers really depends on browsing frequency and if you do it was a purpose lol (I like to have multiple tabs open and jump around all day long so i’m sure my turn over rate is pretty high)

All numbers are based on computer application not mobile which vary even more.

Google Chrome (Windows) browser is a dynamic cache meaning it’s able to expand if necessary.

The default value of Firefox’s (Windows) cache is 50 MB. The minimum value is 0. The maximum value is 1024 MB.

Internet Explorer (Windows) depends on the version you’re running. IE 10 for example has a default cache size of 250MB.

Safari (for Mac OSx)  is currently about 150MB and can’t be updated on the newest version.

Safari (on Windows) doesn’t save persistent memory.

If you’re concerned with the courses performance you could ask the user to change their settings or there may be a coding trick I’m not aware of.

#301120 Score: 2
    Profile photo of Sergey Snegirev
    Sergey Snegirev
    contributor
    intermediate
    advanced
    friend finder
    lab member
    junior moderator
    advocate
    LUC16
    LUC16 Attendee
    wise owl
    336 pts
    @ssneg

I quickly scanned the trivantis scripts dealing with cookies and it appears that the variables are saved without expiration date. I also found a bit that indicates a 30-day expiration:

var G = new Date();
        G.setTime(G.getTime() + (30 * 24 * 60 * 60 * 1000)); //30 is for 30 days
        var H = "; expires=" + G.toGMTString();

So if your cookies are gone in a week that is probably your browser or system cleanup settings.

This post has received 2 votes up.
    #301155 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Reiner Fuest
    Reiner Fuest
    beginner
    intermediate
    contributor
    @rfuest6134

I always get one week (see FF screenshot, same in  Chrome).

We need this information to inform our users about data privacy.

Perhaps we need to provide some kind of opt-out for cookies. Is every information in the cookie deleted, when I perform the action “rest all variables”? Is there a way to delete cookies at the end of the session?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.