Explore the community Forums Lectora Web Accessibility Custom DIVs and screenreaders

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Jason Dalrymple
    Jason Dalrymple
    beginner
    intermediate
    wise owl
    curious george
    contributor
    friend finder
    advanced
    picture perfect
    45 pts
    @JasonADal

Now that I’ve published several courses to our LMS, I’m reviewing each one using NVDA screen reader. I’ve noticed that the screen reader actually reads the full text of a custom div when it’s at the title or AICC levels, at least through the LMS I’m using. I have not tested this on a regular HTML.

The moral of the story? Avoid using custom div as an HTML extensions wherever possible. They appear in both the tab order and to the screen reader. Screen readers will actually read the contents of the div, not just that the div is there.

I imagine that it may do that with Meta tags, but can’t confirm. @klaatu was very emphatic when it came to the use of meta tags.

#364008 Score: 0
    Profile photo of tea
    tea
    beginner
    intermediate
    curious george
    friend finder
    wise owl
    picture perfect
    contributor
    3 pts
    @tea

Hi Jason, I’m working with the Lectora development group to try to see if this is a bug or working as designed. They told me that depending on the content of the Custom DIV (simple <p> tag or full div with dynamic content ..) having the screen reader read the content may be the correct/expected behavior.
    <div>Is it possible to get either your title or your HTML extension, so that we can see what the div contains while looking into this?</div>

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.