Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Christina Metzler
    Christina Metzler
    beginner
    intermediate
    contributor
    curious george
    friend finder
    wise owl
    Group Member
    2 pts
    @cmetzler2560

Is there a way to auto-reset the draggable buttons back to their original position (after the user clicks submit and gets it wrong), WITHOUT it also also resetting the variable? A requirement we have is the user gets two chances to get the question right. I’ve tried using the baked-in feedback and attempts, and I’ve tried adding actions to groups instead, but I keep getting stuck in this infinite loop after I get the question wrong 1 time. It never sees the 2nd attempt.

Thank you- Metz

#405277 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Joe Wieloch
    Joe Wieloch
    beginner
    intermediate
    friend finder
    contributor
    LUC16 Attendee
    verified member
    wise owl
    LUC17 Attendee
    advanced
    picture perfect
    38 pts
    @wheels

Hi

Can you post a library object of the page you are trying to do this on?  Then it would be easier to look at where it might be going wrong…

High level I would think, save the question variable contents in a temp variable using a modify variable action, then call Change Contents on the Question and set the content to blank, then set the question variable back to it’s original value (the contents of the temp variable).  That way the Question UI is reset but the Question variable would retain the last answer.

Joe

#405279 Score: 0
    Christina Metzler
    beginner
    intermediate
    contributor
    curious george
    friend finder
    wise owl
    Group Member
    2 pts
    @cmetzler2560

Joe, I hope I attached the right type of file. You’ll notice that when you get the question wrong twice, both 1st attempt, and 2nd attempt feedback boxes appear. I thought I had it working correctly until I added different audio to each box! Since the feedback boxes are aligned the same X/Y, I tried to simply Stop the 1st attempt audio feedback, but I couldn’t seem to control it. Thanks for your help!

Metz

Attachments:
    1. drag_dropv1.wwo
    #405479 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Joe Wieloch
    Joe Wieloch
    beginner
    intermediate
    friend finder
    contributor
    LUC16 Attendee
    verified member
    wise owl
    LUC17 Attendee
    advanced
    picture perfect
    38 pts
    @wheels

Hi Christina, I had a chance to look at this over the weekend.

All I had to do to get it working was to add a condition and an else action to the first action on the OK button.

See the attached image.

Attachments:
    #405497 Score: 1
    Christina Metzler
    beginner
    intermediate
    contributor
    curious george
    friend finder
    wise owl
    Group Member
    2 pts
    @cmetzler2560

Joe, you are awesome! Thank You so much!

This post has received 1 vote up.
    #405583 Score: 0
    Christina Metzler
    beginner
    intermediate
    contributor
    curious george
    friend finder
    wise owl
    Group Member
    2 pts
    @cmetzler2560

Joe,

I found a problem. The question works properly if you get it wrong both times, or correct the first time. But if you get it wrong the first time, then correct the second time, the Incorrect feedback box also appears with the Correct Feedback box. I’m stumped as to how to measure the variable after it gets reset.

#405639 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Daryl Fleary
    Daryl Fleary
    beginner
    intermediate
    advanced
    friend finder
    LUC16
    LUC16 Attendee
    contributor
    wise owl
    verified member
    17 pts
    @dfleary

Christina:

My Support colleague mentioned this issue to me as well. I think I have the solution:

• In order to clear the learner’s answer between attempts you will need to use the Change Contents action. (You cannot use Reset Question because that will totally reset the question including the attempts count.)
    • You will need to create a variable to count how many tries the user has made. In this example, we named it TRY and set the initial value to 0.
    • At the title level, have an action to reset TRY back to 0 on show of every page. (This assumes only one question will be on a page. If more than one question is on a page, you will need to create TRY2, TRY3, etc.)
    • For each question, include a “check my answer” button with the action to Process Question. (This will cause Lectora to count the Attempts, and lock the question once the maximum number of attempts has been reached.)
    • For each question, set the maximum number of Attempts as desired.
    • On the “check my answer” button, add four actions:
      • OnMouseClick, Modify the TRY variable by adding 1
      • OnMouseClick, Process the Question
      • OnMouseClick, Change Contents of the question to blank/empty IF the TRY variable is less than the maximum number of Attempts set for the question, AND the question is not answered correctly.
      • OnPageShow, Set State of the “check my answer” button to Disabled IF the question is not empty. (This ensures that if the learner answers the question, then goes to the next page, then returns to the question they are not able to answer it again.

I have attached a sample title (package file) that you can download and import to see it.

I have also spoken with the Product Team and we’ll see if we can add an enhancement to a future release to simplify it a bit. (Fingers crossed.)

Daryl

#405686 Score: 0
    Christina Metzler
    beginner
    intermediate
    contributor
    curious george
    friend finder
    wise owl
    Group Member
    2 pts
    @cmetzler2560

Daryl,

Thanks for looking into this! Your solution does work if I don’t click the submit button first. Is there a way to disable the submit button until an answer is attempted?

Christina

#405747 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Daryl Fleary
    Daryl Fleary
    beginner
    intermediate
    advanced
    friend finder
    LUC16
    LUC16 Attendee
    contributor
    wise owl
    verified member
    17 pts
    @dfleary

The easiest way to do that is to just set the Submit buttons to have no effect until the question is answered. Simply add a condition to the first two actions:

* OnMouseClick, ModVariable, TRY, Add 1, IF Question_0001 Is Not Empty
    * OnMouseClick, Process Question, Question_0001, IF Question_0001 Is Not Empty

(Repeat for each question)

So if the user clicks the button but hasn’t made an attempt at answering the question (i.e., no choice) nothing will happen.

– – Daryl

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.