Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of 2hawks
    2hawks
    @2hawks

Hi, all,
    My client wants to embed a Uperform title in the Lectora course. I’m not sure what they mean by embed, but Lectora doesn’t understand what a file type .udc is. So, is it linked to a separate html page, played in a player, or what? Anybody have experience with this?

TIA,
    Ed

#284900 Score: 0
    Profile photo of lauram
    lauram
    2 pts
    @lauram

Hi Ed,

It looks like uPerform publishes to HTML. If you are working on v11 you can embed the content via a Web Window. Either you can store the content on a server and choose the Web Address of the index file, or you can store the content locally and choose Local Web-based content. If you also select “Include all files and subfolders” Lectora will publish all of the files and folders when you publish your title.

If you are working on vX, you can use External HTML and embed the content via an iframe.

Hope this helps!

Thanks,
    Laura

#284903 Score: 0
    Profile photo of 2hawks
    2hawks
    @2hawks

Well, that sort of makes sense. The path would be: /extern/name.upl when linking to a local file.

However, I tried it, and it does not work when trying to display locally. I don’t have a Uperform license, so I have no idea what to expect, etc. when linking to a local file like this one.

Ed

#284901 Score: 0
    Profile photo of lauram
    lauram
    2 pts
    @lauram

Hi Ed,

When I referred to choosing local web-based content, I meant adding the HTML-published files from uPerform. You’re correct that Lectora will not natively support .upl files. If uPerform publishes the final content to HTML, which according to their website seem to be the case, then you can embed those HTML files in Lectora.

Otherwise, it might make more sense to host the final HTML content from uPerform and embed the site.

Thanks,
    Laura

#284904 Score: 0
    Profile photo of 2hawks
    2hawks
    @2hawks

Hi, Laura,
    Thanks for that last information. I did not have all the pieces of the picture. I’ll contact the Uperform supplier for the HTML output.

Ed

#284905 Score: 0
    Profile photo of 2hawks
    2hawks
    @2hawks

Well, I’ve made some headway. Just not all the way.
    I’ve received the HTML output from Uperform, and linked to it through the “Launch a Program/Attach a Document” function.
    (Note: Lectora Enterprise version X.4.1)
    It is linked to the “Index.htm” file, which is buried about 4 folders deep.
    I published to EXE
    I opened the EXE file and navigated to the correct page, clicked the link for running the file.
    (Note that there is no way to tell Lectora to display this file in a new window from the Launch command)
    The htm file will display, but all its links for animations, images, etc. are broken, pointing to my /temp folder. Of course, this does not work.
    I cannot put the Uperform files on another server. This has to be a self-contained EXE.

Ideas for solving this?

Ed

#284902 Score: 0
    Profile photo of lauram
    lauram
    2 pts
    @lauram

Hi Ed.

In this case it’s my fault for not finding out what format you were publishing to. I made the mistake of assuming you were publishing to HTML.

I’ve asked all of my colleagues, and unfortunately, I don’t know of any way to embed HTML in a self-contained EXE. When you use the Launch a Program action in X.4, you’re only able to attach a single file. If you were publishing to HTML, you’d be able to add the additional files and folders to your published HTML folder, but that’s not possible with an EXE.

I don’t know of a way to handle that type of directory structure within an EXE file. If uPerform can publish to a single file format like a video or a SWF, then you can just insert that object directly into Lectora since these are supported file types.

(As a tip, you can use the Go To Web Address Action, enter the file name, and select the “New Window” option to tell a file to display in a new window).

I’m sorry I don’t have a better solution for you.

Has anyone else on the forum encountered this situation?

– Laura

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.