Explore the community Forums Lectora Lectora Questions & Answers fill in the blank question format with multiple text fields and one submit button?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of sholderman
    sholderman
    @sholderman

Hey gang. Is it possible to create a fill in the blank question with multiple text fields and only one submit button? I’m not finding that option using Lectora’s question engine, but wondered if it could be achieved using a form and variables somehow. Thanks.

#285797 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Tim K
    Tim K
    contributor
    beginner
    intermediate
    advanced
    friend finder
    junior moderator
    advocate
    wise owl
    curious george
    Group Member
    355 pts
    @timk

A fill in the blank question has only one entry field. What do you want to achieve?
    You can process more than one question with the same button. You can use form entry fields as well, only when using form elements you can’t use Lectora’s “if … entry is correct”.

Tim

#285796 Score: 1
    Profile photo of lauram
    lauram
    2 pts
    @lauram

I would use a combination of the suggestions above. Here are the steps I would follow:

1. Add the FIB question and enter all of the words you’re looking for in the Correct choices table. Select Correct Answer Includes ALL answers. Specify any feedback, and click OK to add the question.

2. Select the resulting Entry Field on the page and modify its properties to Initially Hidden. Then move that entry field out of the way on your page.

3. From the Test & Survey Ribbon, add as many Entry Fields as you need.

4. On the Submit button, add an Action: Modify Variable > Set Equal To > and then select the pop-out arrow to open the advanced editor. In there enter: VAR(Entry_0001), VAR(Entry_0002), VAR(Entry_0003), etc. – this is the format the Question will be looking for, so make sure you’ve got the commas and spaces in there.

5. Then add a Process Question to the button.

What you’re basically doing is tricking out the question by hiding the one entry field and then populating the question’s variable value manually by adding each of your custom entry field’s variables. Hope this helps!

This post has received 1 vote up.
    #410124 Score: 0
    Profile photo of kl shan
    kl shan
    beginner
    intermediate
    wise owl
    curious george
    contributor
    @cshanahan9902

Hi there,

Thank you for this very comprehensive explanation which I have used and got working although I have a very very limited knowledge of coding and how variables work.

Can I ask, I have table with 6 fields in a table –it should be set up so that the user can type the correct connecting numbered terminals into the right hand column (note that both boxes next to the terminal 5 options need to be able to accept both answers – 5 and 10) ….See attached image to give you an idea

I am having difficulty allowing the 2 fields accept both number 5 or 10 as the correct answer while the rest of the fields have one fixed answer!!!!

Also I must make sure…. that the next button is not active until the user completes the question.

Also ensure that the ‘Submit’ button can only be pressed once all the boxes are completed
    Can I please ask or your help.

Attachments:
    #410153 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Tim K
    Tim K
    contributor
    beginner
    intermediate
    advanced
    friend finder
    junior moderator
    advocate
    wise owl
    curious george
    Group Member
    355 pts
    @timk

Just choose “Any” and “Click here to add a new choice”. Enable the button when each question “Is correct”.

Or post your AWT, I’ll be glad to correct it but I’m not in the mood to rebuild the whole thing.

#410215 Score: 0
    Profile photo of kl shan
    kl shan
    beginner
    intermediate
    wise owl
    curious george
    contributor
    @cshanahan9902

Hi Tim,

see attached as requested

Also is it possible to centre align the input text in the input box.

Many thanks for your help

#410218 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Tim K
    Tim K
    contributor
    beginner
    intermediate
    advanced
    friend finder
    junior moderator
    advocate
    wise owl
    curious george
    Group Member
    355 pts
    @timk

Here’s your file. It now contains 3 ways to solve it. Yours with the invisible fill in the blank question, a version with no question and 6 input fields and a version with no input fields and 6 questions.

I believe the version on Page 3 with 6 Fill in the Blank questions is the easiest to control.

#410222 Score: 0
    Profile photo of kl shan
    kl shan
    beginner
    intermediate
    wise owl
    curious george
    contributor
    @cshanahan9902

That is v clever, thanks so much for your help

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.