Has anyone encountered a similar issue where after uploading a SCORM 1.2 package (generated by Lectora directly to a ZIP) content to an LMS, sometimes the assessment “next” buttons don’t work?
I had this issue while testing content in our new LMS environment, and found that, seemingly at random, sometimes the content would break on an assessment.
For example, I would publish the finished course to SCORM 1.2 directly to a ZIP file. I’d upload that ZIP file to our LMS, and then run that content. On the second page of the assessment (the first was just a blank page with instructions, and an invisible question with no value so it could all be contained in the assessment chapter), clicking the “next” button would simply not work.
However, if I re-published the content again to a zip file, changing absolutely nothing in Lectora, and then uploaded that, often it would work flawlessly. I’m fairly confident the issue isn’t the LMS, and running the debug window hasn’t provided any insight. In the end, it was fine as long as I made sure the tested version that worked is the exact package we used on the production-side LMS, but it’s bizarre that this would happen.
Unfortunately, I cannot utilize these as they’re outside of our approved validated software listing. Essentially, I can’t test our content outside of our own environment, with the exception of ReviewLink since it’s been specifically approved in the past.
Zachary, you could confirm that the problem is with the initial publication to SCORM by using the DOS “comp” command to compare the two files. If you didn’t change anything, the two zip files should be identical. If they aren’t, it’s most assuredly a Lectora bug. (Then you would have to try to find which of the many files in a Lectora assessment is different.)