Explore the community Forums CenarioVR CenarioVR Questions & Answers Google Cardboard: extend time to activate objects?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of CarlFink
    CarlFink
    beginner
    intermediate
    contributor
    LUC16 Attendee
    wise owl
    curious george
    advanced
    friend finder
    47 pts
    @CarlFink

When viewing a scene in the Cardboard mode, you select by putting the reticle on the object and holding it there. The problem is, on Apple devices that my boss and I have tested, you get about 1/3 of a second before the object is selected. That’s too short for both our tastes.

(Thanks, John Blackmon, for teaching me the word “reticle” in this very forum.)

Is there a way to extend that time? Not to anything outrageous, but maybe to a full second?

Thanks.

• This topic was modified 1 month ago by Profile photo of CarlFink CarlFink .
    #451176 Score: 1
    Profile photo of John Blackmon
    John Blackmon
    beginner
    intermediate
    contributor
    friend finder
    advanced
    junior moderator
    wise owl
    LUC16
    LUC16 Attendee
    verified member
    58 pts
    @johnb

It’s not adjustable, and it should be 3/4 of a second. Gaze to select is definitely not the perfect interface, it does allow for use without a controller or mouse though.

This post has received 1 vote up.
    #451207 Score: 0
    CarlFink
    beginner
    intermediate
    contributor
    LUC16 Attendee
    wise owl
    curious george
    advanced
    friend finder
    47 pts
    @CarlFink

It’s certainly usable, it just requires more attention from the user (and thus distracts more from any learning) than I would prefer. Thanks, John.

Hmm … some newer Cardboard headsets have a button, I found out yesterday. Would CVR work with a headset having an external button?

#451426 Score: 1
    Profile photo of John Blackmon
    John Blackmon
    beginner
    intermediate
    contributor
    friend finder
    advanced
    junior moderator
    wise owl
    LUC16
    LUC16 Attendee
    verified member
    58 pts
    @johnb

Gaze to select is the method used by CVR for Cardboard style devices, not the button that is on some of the cardboards, but not all.

This post has received 1 vote up.
    #451428 Score: 0
    CarlFink
    beginner
    intermediate
    contributor
    LUC16 Attendee
    wise owl
    curious george
    advanced
    friend finder
    47 pts
    @CarlFink

Thanks, John. I was just wondering if it was supported. I have done no work on programming for Cardboard, so I have no idea how difficult it would or would not be to support both.

I’ve found that I got used to the gaze-to-select interface pretty fast. The big minefield is that I had built my scenarios with buttons right in the default sightline, meaning the student would accidentally gaze at things and trigger them. I had to move all my hotspots up or down 30 degrees or so. Also, several places had popup images/videos that were closed by click/tap. Of course, in Cardboard this meant you couldn’t actually watch the video without closing it. I had to switch to closing them with buttons that were near, but not inside, the media they closed.

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 5 days ago by Profile photo of CarlFink CarlFink .
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.