Explore the community Forums Lectora Lectora Questions & Answers How can you check for Max Attempts?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of The AV-ator
    The AV-ator
    advanced
    contributor
    beginner
    intermediate
    friend finder
    wise owl
    curious george
    picture perfect
    Group Member
    12 pts
    @TheAv-ator

When creating a question, using Max Attempts enabled (say I give them 3 attempts to answer correctly) is there any way to check if Max attempts is reached? Lectora must already track a variable in itself to see if that has been reached, correct?

I know you can create an action group and set up custom actions within it to accomplish this, or others will suggest setting up a counter to a variable and then running an action group to read the counter and then do an action to act on that.. etc etc

But this has to be simpler than that… right? Having to program custom actions and action groups and counters for something that should be as easy as checking a variable for true or false, is like adding 10x the amount of work.  How does lectora know when you’ve reached the max number of attempts you set for the question? The ‘Process Question’ action must perform a test or series of tests to check for this stuff, correct? Does anyone know exactly what those actions are?

My end goal would be to have a button that checks for either the question being correct, or for max attempts being reached.

What I know so far is that as soon as the question is answered incorrectly, it is technically marked as complete regardless of whether the max number has been reached, which eliminates being able to test for completion as a possibility.

• This topic was modified 2 years, 2 months ago by Profile photo of The AV-ator The AV-ator.
    #383440 Score: 0
    The AV-ator
    advanced
    contributor
    beginner
    intermediate
    friend finder
    wise owl
    curious george
    picture perfect
    Group Member
    12 pts
    @TheAv-ator

*Update*

I did find a relatively simple way of doing this, but still relies on a counter and checking for Greater than or equal to the number of attempts. To Program this on to all of my questions took a good 1-2 hours. Having to do all custom programming and feedback would’ve taken 3-4 times that amount of time.

#383443 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Stan Miller
    Stan Miller
    beginner
    intermediate
    LUC16 Attendee
    wise owl
    contributor
    curious george
    friend finder
    LUC17 Attendee
    35 pts
    @smiller7502

Did you find a Lectora variable you can read for max attempts, or did you have to hard code that value to match what you had set on each question?

#383527 Score: 0
    The AV-ator
    advanced
    contributor
    beginner
    intermediate
    friend finder
    wise owl
    curious george
    picture perfect
    Group Member
    12 pts
    @TheAv-ator

No, wasn’t able to find a variable for Max Attempts.

Basically, what I did was on the Submit button for the question I added an Action that modifies a custom variable by adding 1 to it, then it runs the ProcessQuestion Action, then I added another Action that activates the next button upon meeting the condition of the question being correct or that custom variable being Greater than or equal to the number I had for Max attempts.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.