Explore the community Forums Lectora Inspire Tools Questions & Answers Last Page Viewed exception for assessment

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Jeff Hasulo
    Jeff Hasulo
    beginner
    intermediate
    curious george
    wise owl
    @jhasulo.2073

I have created a course with ‘last page viewed’ turned on for SCORM 1.2 but the user can quit the course in the assessment portion of the course. The assessment is a randomized test so the objective is to be able to let users start where they left off in the course but if they quit in the middle of the assessment that when going back to it the assessment will reset and start from the beginning. Is this possible as it seems that whatever variable I use to reset the assessment it will always go to the last question that they were on.

Note: I have one variable that is an attempts variable that is saved between sessions as this is for a 3 try lockout function.

#435178 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Adam Cain
    Adam Cain
    beginner
    intermediate
    picture perfect
    wise owl
    friend finder
    Group Member
    curious george
    contributor
    22 pts
    @cainam

right – it just remembers the last page they were on, and takes them there.

I’m thinking you can create a variable that doesn’t save between sessions that initiates on the first page of the test.  Say…  “var_testStarted” set to zero (do not save between sessions).  Then when they get to the first test question, change that variable to a value of ‘1’.

On each page of the test, (on page show) you can check that variable to make sure it equals 1 (and if it doesn’t, send them back to the first page of the test).  That way, if they return to the test in the middle, that variable shouldn’t save between sessions, and so it should be equal to zero instead of 1, and when them come back to the page they left off, and it will send them back to the first page of the test.  I think that should work….

#435180 Score: 0
    Jeff Hasulo
    beginner
    intermediate
    curious george
    wise owl
    @jhasulo.2073

Thanks for the quick reply back. I have tried this out but it seems the ‘last page viewed’ trumps all as it still goes back to the last question the user was on.

#435188 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Tim K
    Tim K
    contributor
    beginner
    intermediate
    advanced
    friend finder
    junior moderator
    advocate
    wise owl
    curious george
    Group Member
    352 pts
    @timk

Instead of waiting for the user to return to a page he’s not supposed to see and use a custom variable, you can overwrite the bookmark variable to make the user return to the Start page directly. Keep the action on each question page of the assessment but make it

Action: Modify variable
    Target: AICC_Lesson_Location
    Value: a001_welcometothetest.html

Of course you’ll have to update the value with the filename of the page that you want the users to be directed to.

Add a “Reset Test / Survey” action when this page is shown.

#435201 Score: 0
    Adam Cain
    beginner
    intermediate
    picture perfect
    wise owl
    friend finder
    Group Member
    curious george
    contributor
    22 pts
    @cainam

I didn’t read Tim’s response until after I threw this together – either one will work – just depends on what you want the user experience to be (either always start on the first page of the test if they were in the middle of it, or ‘make them’ start from the beginning and maybe give them a reason why.  (as with Lectora, always a number of options depending on your preference!)  here’s a quick example of how you could set it up.

#435334 Score: 0
    Jeff Hasulo
    beginner
    intermediate
    curious george
    wise owl
    @jhasulo.2073

Thanks alot guys! I appreciate the quick respone!!! I put in Tim’s suggestion and it worked…kind of for me. Unfortunately, when the user quits and it goes to the start of the assessment using the AICC_Lesson_Location but if they then complete the test and fail it. On the second attempt if they quit during the assessment again, it does not ask them to start where they left off and just takes them to the beginning of the course back to the first attempt. It look like because I have overwritten the location it breaks that variable on more than one attempt. Is there anyway I can reset the AICC_Lesson_Location on the SUBMIT of the assessment? I tried just setting it to empty figuring once it went to the result page that it would then kick back into that page as the location but that is not the case.

#435341 Score: 0
    Adam Cain
    beginner
    intermediate
    picture perfect
    wise owl
    friend finder
    Group Member
    curious george
    contributor
    22 pts
    @cainam

so to clarify – if they exit the test the first time through you want them to automatically start back at the beginning, but if they are in the test the 2nd time, you want them to continue where they left off?

If so, then conceptually what I’m thinking based off using Tim’s suggestion – put a condition on the action of modifying the lesson status.

Start with creating a new variable when they click on the ‘grade assessment’ button (whatever that is for you).  on click, modify a new variable (calling it something like ‘var_test_complete’).  change the value from zero to 1 (or whatever you like to use).

then add your condition on that original action to modify the lesson status with condition that ‘var_test_complete’ equals zero.  That way that action won’t fire if they have graded the test at any time previous (make the variable to save between sessions)

I think that should work?

#435343 Score: 0
    Jeff Hasulo
    beginner
    intermediate
    curious george
    wise owl
    @jhasulo.2073

Hey Adam! No the logic is:

The assessment has a three try lockout so I have an attempts variable that is retained between sessions. If the user quits in the assessment on any attempt at any time, when going back to the assessment they have to begin at the beginning of the assessment while still retaining the attempts.

What is happening is that if the user quits on the first attempt, the rerouting of the AICC_Lesson_Location to the beginning of the assessment (which is an instruction page displaying their attempts) works. But if they then submit that assessment and fail, on their second attempt of the assessement, if they close the course again, the ‘view last page’ is not prompted and it just goes to the start of the course and the attempts are back to the first attempt.

It seems the AICC_Lesson_Location variable gets broken after they complete the assessment once.

#435405 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Tim K
    Tim K
    contributor
    beginner
    intermediate
    advanced
    friend finder
    junior moderator
    advocate
    wise owl
    curious george
    Group Member
    352 pts
    @timk

When a user “fails” the course, the Scorm attempt is “completed”. The next time the course is opened a new Scorm attempt starts and the course (and all variables) are in a “Not attempted” state. So AICC_Lesson_Location is not broken, there just is no bookmark when a Scorm attempt is opened for the first time.

#435416 Score: 0
    Adam Cain
    beginner
    intermediate
    picture perfect
    wise owl
    friend finder
    Group Member
    curious george
    contributor
    22 pts
    @cainam

Well in that case you can always use the other strategy of creating your own like in my example above – that should still work for your situation.

#435439 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Tim K
    Tim K
    contributor
    beginner
    intermediate
    advanced
    friend finder
    junior moderator
    advocate
    wise owl
    curious george
    Group Member
    352 pts
    @timk

I’m pretty sure your version behaves the same 😉 When a course is opened the next time after completing the previous attempt there is no bookmark and it opens on page 1. It doesn’t make a difference whether you set the bookmark manually or let Lectora do it automatically.

You have to make sure that the 3 attempts on the assessment can be done while the Scorm attempt is “incomplete”.

Attachments:
    1. Title-1-1.zip
    #435523 Score: 0
    Adam Cain
    beginner
    intermediate
    picture perfect
    wise owl
    friend finder
    Group Member
    curious george
    contributor
    22 pts
    @cainam

Hmm, you are right Tim – it should be the same either way.  I guess in my normal setup, I only mark the the SCORM complete either on the last page (that they can only get to if they pass with the required percentage), or set the lesson status to complete with the condition of meeting the required pass percentage.

I guess I don’t ever mark the AICC_Lesson_Status to completed unless they ‘pass’ (in this case it should only be done  if they pass, or have attempted the assessment 3 times so that the bookmark remains).

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.