Tagged: 

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Andrew Lian
    Andrew Lian
    beginner
    intermediate
    friend finder
    advanced
    contributor
    wise owl
    curious george
    12 pts
    @mlapl1

Hello

Has anyone tried to get Lectora (12) lessons to speak directly with an LRS such as learninglocker? I have just installed learninglocker (and experiencing some difficulties with the system itself) BUT I find it difficult to work out how to send Learninglocker the necessary information directly without going through an LMS. I just don’t get the principle. Do I use a form? If so, what does it look like?

I have created the necessary LRS with secret passwords, logins and endpoints but not sure how to test the whole thing either from Lectora or from some other system.

Thanks a lot

Andrew

#314979 Score: 1
    Profile photo of Peter Jackson
    Peter Jackson
    beginner
    intermediate
    advanced
    friend finder
    contributor
    junior moderator
    wise owl
    group mod
    entry
    winner
    17 pts
    @pjackson2462

G’day Andrew,

Take a look at:

https://community.trivantis.com/contest/contest-8-expand-lectora-with-xapi-peer-comparison/

This use SCORM Cloud as the LRS.

HTH

Regards, Peter

http://www.LectoraDeveloper.com

This post has received 1 vote up.
    #314985 Score: 0
    Andrew Lian
    beginner
    intermediate
    friend finder
    advanced
    contributor
    wise owl
    curious george
    12 pts
    @mlapl1

G’day back Peter

Thank you. I will take a look but just as a comment I am looking for Tin Can protocol rather than SCORM – although I could be convinced to stay with SCORM. The important thing for me is to avoid the need to go through an LMS.

Thanks again

Andrew

#314987 Score: 1
    Peter Jackson
    beginner
    intermediate
    advanced
    friend finder
    contributor
    junior moderator
    wise owl
    group mod
    entry
    winner
    17 pts
    @pjackson2462

G’day Andrew,

Rustici Software development Tin Can AKA Experience API, Rustici own scorm.com which hosts SCORM Cloud which has an LRS.   Sounds like the house that Jack built:-)
    That is what I used in the Peer Comparison example.

HTH

Regards, Peter

This post has received 1 vote up.
    #314995 Score: 0
    Andrew Lian
    beginner
    intermediate
    friend finder
    advanced
    contributor
    wise owl
    curious george
    12 pts
    @mlapl1

Thanks Peter. I will follow up.

cheers

andrew

#315071 Score: 0
    Andrew Lian
    beginner
    intermediate
    friend finder
    advanced
    contributor
    wise owl
    curious george
    12 pts
    @mlapl1

Hi Peter

Yes. I get that but there must be something simple I am missing out on. My basic question is: How do I get my results (whatever they are) to the LRS?

If this were a SCORM file, I would simply save as SCORM and upload to my LMS (e.g. moodle or whatever) and the LMS would do the work.

In the case of xAPI, I understand that we can decide what is sent (how to do that remains a mystery) and then it is equally mysterious as to how we actually connect to the LRS. Or to put it another wat, how do we tell Lectora where to send things? In the xAPI box when we publish, there seems to be a box for a URL – but I cannot understand whether or not this is the place we tell Lectora where to send stuff, especially as I would expect to do that with a form (unless the LRS knows where to look – probably means we need to upload the Lectora file to the LRS).

I think I am functioning in the wrong logic…

Thanks again
    Andrew

PS I loved your Competition 8 example and still trying to work through it but even there your example does not specify a real URL for the LRS as far as I can tell.

#315072 Score: 0
    Peter Jackson
    beginner
    intermediate
    advanced
    friend finder
    contributor
    junior moderator
    wise owl
    group mod
    entry
    winner
    17 pts
    @pjackson2462

G’day Andrew,
    There’s a lot of questions and few have simple answers.  First I assume that you have downloaded the zip file and extracted it.

How do I get my results (whatever they are) to the LRS?

First you need to publish as xAPI – I know that’s obvious but it needs to be said.
    If launching from an LRS then Lectora will handle all of the communications, if not then:
    Look in the extren folder for launch.html and launch.xml, you need to update the launch.xml with the data required by your title.
    launch.html will use the xml file to pass this info to your titile and acts like an LRS, the html will prompt the person launching your title with any data not supplied via the xml.  The xml file needs to know the first page of your title .e.g: <launchpage>a001page1.html</launchpage>
    Your when you publish the first page needs to be the launch.html, clearly, this way you there’s no validation of learners, as with my Peer Comparison.

If this were a SCORM file…

When you publish as xAPI Lectora assumes you are connected to an LMS when launched from an LRS or as above, therefore, all the typical SCORM (hands free) functions work and the LRS should get updated without you needing any additional code.

In the case of xAPI, I understand that we can decide what is sent (how to do that remains a mystery)…

The Peer Comparision was designed to show what could be done and is not designed to show how to do it, however, all the files required are there:-)  See below for a Share content on “Lectora and xAPI”

…then it is equally mysterious as to how we actually connect to the LRS. Or to put it another way, how do we tell Lectora where to send things?

Covered above – I hope:-)

In the xAPI box when we publish, there seems to be a box for a URL…

This is the activity id, in the xml file it’s <activityid>…</activityid>, the help is:
    Activity ID: Specify the ID of the course as it will be known within the LRS.
    It is the unique identifier for your title and is a key field in the LRS database.&

Some essential shared content for you:
    The launch.html and launch.xml is from – https://community.trivantis.com/shared-content/xapi-launcher/
    By John Blackmon, @johnb
    Lectora and xAPI – https://community.trivantis.com/knowledge-base/lectora-and-xapi/

HTH
    Regards, Peter

#315073 Score: 0
    Andrew Lian
    beginner
    intermediate
    friend finder
    advanced
    contributor
    wise owl
    curious george
    12 pts
    @mlapl1

Thanks Peter. I will study this. For me, at the moment, it seems simpler to control this through forms, php scripts and mysql (or other) databases.

Actually, I think that I am missing out on something fundamental. You mention launching from an LRS. I was under the impression that the LRS only collected data and was not used as a repository for lessons or whatever – and therefore could not be used to launch anything. Looks like I was wrong. Maybe I am trying to go too fast. Thank you SO much for your help.

Cheers

Andrew

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.