Explore the community Forums Lectora Web Accessibility Lectora 17: JAWS Tabbing Issues

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Kirk Brenne
    Kirk Brenne
    beginner
    intermediate
    curious george
    wise owl
    @kbrenne9904

I’m building a series of courses for a client with strict accessibility standards; all courses must work with the latest version of JAWS. They’re asking us to move to Lectora 17, but we’re encountering issues when testing with JAWS.

When rendering with Lectora Publisher 16, tabbing with JAWS works as expected:

• Press Tab to move through all the buttons on the page in sequence:
      • Title-level links/buttons have “Always on Top” checked
      • Page-level buttons have “Always on Top” unchecked
    • Press Down arrow to move through all text fields and buttons on page.

When rendering the same course with Lectora Publisher 17, tabbing with JAWS yields unusual results:

• Pressing Tab skips first 6 title-level links/buttons.
    • First object read is the last title-level button (Previous button), but page title (Heading H2) is highlighted.
    • Pressing Tab again reads the page title (no highlights).
    • Next Tab highlights page-level Scroll Down button, but tabbing again highlights the next heading and reads it as “Scroll Down”.
    • Continuing to press Tab reads all the screen text in order, with highlights in the wrong places:
      • e.g., if the read order is: 1. Scroll Down button; 2. Heading 1; 3. Body text 1; 4. Heading 2; 5. Body text 2, then JAWS reads as follows:
        • 1. “Scroll Down button” (Scroll Down button highlighted)
        • 2. “Scroll Down button” (Heading 1 highlighted)
        • 3. “[Heading 1 text]” (no highlights)
        • 4. “[Body text 1 text]” (Heading 2 highlighted)
        • 5. “[Heading 2 text]” (no highlights)
      • If a text box contains multiple paragraphs, JAWS only reads the last paragraph
    • Once all page-level text and buttons have been read, pressing Tab reads through the title-level links/buttons, including reading the Previous button (which was the first object read when opening the page).

I didn’t see anything like this in the known issues for Lectora 17, but I’m wondering if anyone has encountered similar issues and, if so, whether any fixes have been found.

Notes:

• Course being tested was built in Lectora Publisher 17 as a responsive project.
    • Versions of Lectora being used:
      • Lectora Publisher 16.2.2
      • Lectora Publisher 17.1.3
    • All render settings are the same between Lectora 16 and 17.
    • Version of JAWS being used: 2018.1804.26.
    • This topic was modified 7 months ago by Profile photo of Kirk Brenne Kirk Brenne.
    • This topic was modified 7 months ago by Profile photo of Kirk Brenne Kirk Brenne.
    #396968 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Christine O'Malley
    Christine O’Malley
    beginner
    intermediate
    friend finder
    wise owl
    curious george
    advanced
    contributor
    product reviewer
    LUC17 Attendee
    4 pts
    @comalley5856

<p data-keeper-edited=”yes”>Kirk -</p>
    <p data-keeper-edited=”yes”>You might also want to reach out to the dedicated email channel set up by Trivantis specifically for accessibility questions…  wcag@trivantis.com  </p>
    <p data-keeper-edited=”yes”></p>

#397200 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Jennifer Valley
    Jennifer Valley
    contributor
    beginner
    friend finder
    advanced
    lectora beginner
    verified member
    wise owl
    picture perfect
    curious george
    113 pts
    @jvalley4735

Thank you so much for the detailed message. We are aware of a number of tabbing issues, many of which have been addressed and the fixes will be in the next release. I will pass this information along to our Quality Assurance team to ensure we are testing for these items as well.

#397576 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Don Rinderknecht
    Don Rinderknecht
    beginner
    intermediate
    wise owl
    contributor
    @donr

Hi Jennifer,

We are experiencing a similar issue. I sent an email to the wcag@trivantis.com address – should I contact support also?

Our JAWS tester reports that when selecting radio button A, item B is read and so on. I thought it might be an ordering issue, but I cannot reorder question elements in the title explorer.

Any tips?

When is the next release expected? (A quick maintenance fix, I hope…)

Thanks,
    Don.

#404778 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Rachel Martin
    Rachel Martin
    beginner
    intermediate
    wise owl
    @rmartin4779

Just as a side note, I was glancing at the code related to an issue one of our instructional designers was having with tab order (they look to be on Lectora 17).  They had a knowledge check and the answers were randomized.  I looked up the randomize code and unless I am missing it, the code neglects to update the tab order after rearranging the question answers.  So the tab order continues to follow however the answers were originally setup on the page.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.