Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 56 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of mallow76
    mallow76
    beginner
    intermediate
    contributor
    wise owl
    curious george
    23 pts
    @mallow76

Is there any information about the next iteration of Lectora? We have usually heard by now. In fact I think the update to the next version has generally happened by this time each year. Hoping time has been going in to continued development of Lectora and not just on the creation of things like Vaast. Is all very well trying to expand your offerings but your core product still needs to be the focus. Other eLearning solutions have come on leaps and bounds and Lectora needs to keep up or it will quickly become redundant. The very limited activity on this forum (over the last year or so) also suggests to me that droves of people are already going elsewhere for their eLearning development needs.

Our maintenance payments are nearing renewal so keen to see what is in store and have some reassurance that support and development for Lectora is still a priority for Trivantis.

NB: I am saying all of this as someone who has 15 years experience of using Lectora as my main development tool.

This post has received 3 votes up.
    #381815 Score: 0
    mallow76
    beginner
    intermediate
    contributor
    wise owl
    curious george
    23 pts
    @mallow76

hello?

@jvalley4735 – are you still around / able to comment?

#382134 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Jennifer Valley
    Jennifer Valley
    contributor
    beginner
    friend finder
    advanced
    lectora beginner
    verified member
    wise owl
    picture perfect
    curious george
    114 pts
    @jvalley4735

It’s in development right now! So it’ll still need to go through quality assurance and regression testing before it’s released.

#382198 Score: 2
    Profile photo of Ann Sisco
    Ann Sisco
    beginner
    intermediate
    friend finder
    wise owl
    curious george
    contributor
    5 pts
    @prg1792

please, please, please test thoroughly! i have had a v17 license for a year now but have not been able to use it out-of-the-box to deliver accessible courseware due to issues with tab order (for keyboard-only users) and reading order (for screen reader users). i’ve got tickets in, even for v17.1.1, and could add custom code workarounds, but i’m still using v16.2.2 which is a much better tool for creating accessible content. i feel like i wasted a year of maintenance.

i, too, am a long-time Lectora user so i really hope future versions are worth the investment.

This post has received 2 votes up.
    #382268 Score: 1
    mallow76
    beginner
    intermediate
    contributor
    wise owl
    curious george
    23 pts
    @mallow76

I know what you mean <span class=”handle-sign”>@</span>prg1792

The latest versions of Lectora brought Responsive Design and Seamless Play. These features (i feel) are spectacularly poorly implemented. I don’t feel that my last couple of maintenance payments have brought anything of real use and in fact have made the stability of the core product worse.

<span class=”handle-sign”>@</span>jvalley4735 – are there any hints about what L18 might bring? What features are our maintenance payments funding?

This post has received 1 vote up.
    #391733 Score: 2
    mallow76
    beginner
    intermediate
    contributor
    wise owl
    curious george
    23 pts
    @mallow76

any update on timescales / features of L18 @jvalley4735

is all very quiet.

#392362 Score: 1
    mallow76
    beginner
    intermediate
    contributor
    wise owl
    curious george
    23 pts
    @mallow76

Bump @jvalley4735

Keen to see / hear what my maintenance payment is getting me. Not much it seems.

#393150 Score: 1
    mallow76
    beginner
    intermediate
    contributor
    wise owl
    curious george
    23 pts
    @mallow76

that’s 3 months since the first post in this thread. What can you tell us @jvalley4735

• This reply was modified 1 year ago by Profile photo of mallow76 mallow76 .
    • This reply was modified 1 year ago by Profile photo of mallow76 mallow76 .
    #393198 Score: 2
    Profile photo of Darrel Somoza
    Darrel Somoza
    contributor
    friend finder
    beginner
    intermediate
    junior moderator
    advanced
    wise owl
    curious george
    195 pts
    @Klaatu

https://community.trivantis.com/forums/topic/a-gamechanger/

#393421 Score: 1
    mallow76
    beginner
    intermediate
    contributor
    wise owl
    curious george
    23 pts
    @mallow76

Yep – we subscribe to this and it is definitely the way forward. An amazing suite of tools (Rise in particular is stunning though it does lock your content down meaning you need an active subscription to even edit a course). Was just keen to see if Trivantis had any plans to respond.  Most of our content (100s of courses) has been developed in Lectora and we have 3 licenses on their maintenance plan. As it stands we are getting nothing from hemorrhaging this money each year and so will likely stop that and begin the transfer of content onto the newer, more progressive tools.

#395085 Score: 0
    Jennifer Valley
    contributor
    beginner
    friend finder
    advanced
    lectora beginner
    verified member
    wise owl
    picture perfect
    curious george
    114 pts
    @jvalley4735

According to a conversation last week version 18 is scheduled for this summer.

#395099 Score: 1
    Profile photo of Darrel Somoza
    Darrel Somoza
    contributor
    friend finder
    beginner
    intermediate
    junior moderator
    advanced
    wise owl
    curious george
    195 pts
    @Klaatu

Jennifer, can you elaborate on what that means? I believe we deserve to know exactly what upgrades and fixes will be included instead of just announcing a new version.  Additionally, what exactly triggers a new version as opposed to interim updates?  The maintenance payments are not cheap, multiplied for those of us with additional licenses.

I’d like to see a direct comparison of Inspire vs. the other big player rapid delivery authoring tools. What will Lectora have to offer that they others do not? As of now, Inspire lags behind. It’s time to wow us. I have already switched most of our projects to another application as the Trivantis sale is eerily reminiscent of the downfall of ToolBook.

What did the sale of Trivantis buy the end user because so far it looks like nothing.

I’ll bet there are a lot of other fellow forum members that would like to know this information now?

#395244 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Zachary Liquorman
    Zachary Liquorman
    beginner
    intermediate
    friend finder
    curious george
    wise owl
    contributor
    picture perfect
    8 pts
    @zliquorman1276

I’ll bet there are a lot of other fellow forum members that would like to know this information now?

Count me as one. I’m getting questions about what we’re getting with Lectora that we can’t get elsewhere, possibly for cheaper. It’s also been asked more than once if we’ve picked the wrong tool for our content.

Darrel’s post in another thread hit the nail on the head for what’s needed:

Output should be web standard HTML5, CSS and JS. Responsive design should be handled using Grid.

Aside from saving myself the headache of creating SCORM packages manually and some accessibility-friendly automation, I feel like half the time I’m better off just writing content directly as HTML with CSS and JS in in Notepad++, rather than trying to get my custom stuff to play nice with Lectora’s generated content.

Right now, Lectora’s open ability to include custom HTML, CSS and JS is the sole selling point for me. Making that difficult because the overall implementation is outdated is killing that for me.

For others in my company with no experience with working with HTML/CSS and JS that are being called on to start working on e-learning content, they’ll look for a more comprehensive e-learning software creation suite that doesn’t require web-development knowledge to make good, interactive content.

I really hope the next version of Lectora can give it a jump start, I’m afraid we may also be on the path to going to other tools in the future like others already have if Lectora 18 is just another incremental update.

#395258 Score: 0
    Jennifer Valley
    contributor
    beginner
    friend finder
    advanced
    lectora beginner
    verified member
    wise owl
    picture perfect
    curious george
    114 pts
    @jvalley4735

I appreciate your concerns and questions.

As far as releases go, we strive to offer major releases once a year (when the main version number changes) which include a variety of enhancements, new content, and bug fixes. However, we continually offer new features through point releases. For example, 17.1 included the introduction of the eLearning Brothers Stock Asset Library in Inspire, cmi5 support, improvements to xAPI, new publish options for mobile, and new options for audio and video. We also updated the framework use for Run and Preview mode.

On an ongoing basis, we also provide service packs to address widespread issues (both within the program and to keep up with technology standards) and as many bug fixes that are possible within a certain time frame.

Of course, our development process follows an agile methodology where multiple factors such as impact, customer demand, and scope are taken into consideration to prioritize and include in the release.

Not sharing specific information regarding features included in our next major version is how we maintain a competitive edge and also, since we are agile, accounts for the potential for priorities to change. However, I can tell you that Lectora 18 focuses specifically on improving ease of use and implementing often requested features. We’re looking forward to releasing soon, and will conduct a webinar (as always) to introduce each feature in detail.

If you’d like to make sure your suggestion is being heard and included we recommending writing up a request in the Trivantis Community, upvoting a suggestion made by a fellow developer, or submitting a bug to the Trivantis Support team.

You can view a great comparison of Lectora and other authoring tools provided by PCMag as well as a recent comparison conducted by Upside Learning. We believe that Lectora truly excels in a number of places against our competitors – from accessibility, to responsive course design, to the ability to extend and customize courses outside the box. The inclusion of ReviewLink, BranchTrack, Snagit, Camtasia, and the eLearning Brothers libraries offers incredible value.

I hope this helps to explain some of your concerns! If you’d like to chat further, I’m happy to set up some time to talk one on one. We truly value you as a Lectora client, and are committed to ensuring we’re providing a best-in-class solution for eLearning development.

#395531 Score: 0
    Profile photo of amanda hetherington
    amanda hetherington
    beginner
    intermediate
    friend finder
    curious george
    picture perfect
    wise owl
    contributor
    7 pts
    @ahetherington9113

Hi @jvalley4735

The PCMag review you refer to includes a review for Articulate Storyline, and then for Lectora, it basically says nothing, except that Lectora is just as good as Storyline, and we should give them both a whirl.

It does make it difficult to continue to argue for Lectora, and we’re now almost half way through 2018, it will be interesting to see what’s coming in the next release.

Regards
    Amanda

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 56 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.