Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 56 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Math Notermans
    Math Notermans
    contributor
    intermediate
    advanced
    friend finder
    junior moderator
    advocate
    LUC16 Attendee
    LUC16
    wise owl
    curious george
    110 pts
    @mnotermans5114

Trivantis needs to ensure Lectora 18 is bugproof and has features to wow and get users enthusiast. It is not enough only improving ease of use and implementing often requested features. Lectora 18 needs some great innovative features. Do check Framer ( https://framer.com/) e.g, a Mac only design and develop tool thats great for creating true responsive designs and mockups. One complaint i hear from clients and befriended developers is the amount of time it costs to create a multi-device course in Lectora. Designing and developing and testing for 4 views…taking 4x the time to realize… If that could be made in the way Framer works.

#395536 Score: 1
    Math Notermans
    contributor
    intermediate
    advanced
    friend finder
    junior moderator
    advocate
    LUC16 Attendee
    LUC16
    wise owl
    curious george
    110 pts
    @mnotermans5114

As a sidenote to Jennifer’s statement.. ‘The inclusion of ReviewLink, BranchTrack, Snagit, Camtasia, and the eLearning Brothers libraries offers incredible value.’ i am wondering how other users value these extra’s. I myself am glad with ReviewLink and all though i do use the rest now and then..i dont really need them. For me any extra effort into Lectora itself would be better then these sidekicks… Would love to see a voting/rating/poll option in the forum so we can indeed see how other users think about these things…

This post has received 1 vote up.
    #395548 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Jason Dalrymple
    Jason Dalrymple
    beginner
    intermediate
    wise owl
    curious george
    contributor
    friend finder
    advanced
    picture perfect
    42 pts
    @JasonADal

i am wondering how other users value these extra’s.

Review Link essential for my QA, as I have a number of partners and contributors. It’s better than a SharePoint or other forum, since it has the ability for users to “point out” specific items on the screens.

Also, I have several uses for Camtasia and SnagIt, with some more minor uses for eLearning Brothers. Due to the nature of my current focus, I have not yet used BranchTrack.

• Camtasia: Quick hit video microlearning and conversion of WebEx sessions to video; creation of captions for export to audio files. If I need better editing power, I go to Adobe Premier.
    • SnagIt: Quick screen shot and minor editing as well as video capture. If more complex editing is required, Adobe Photoshop comes into play.
    • eLearning Brothers: Additional characters to better engage in a more “personal” experience

If I ever move into topics that better lend themselves to a branching and/or “soft skills” design/development projects, I see Branch Track as a foundation and/or inspiration for those courses.

#395550 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Zachary Liquorman
    Zachary Liquorman
    beginner
    intermediate
    friend finder
    curious george
    wise owl
    contributor
    picture perfect
    8 pts
    @zliquorman1276

i am wondering how other users value these extra’s.

That’s an excellent question, and I would think it’s one Trivantis would want to know for their own purposes as well. I know I’m curious.

I can say that my experience has been that ReviewLink is a great service already, but with a few improvements could be truly indispensable for project collaboration. I could survive without it as it currently exists, half the people I need collaborate with only use it to preview content and then send their comments/requests via email or Excel spreadsheet. *sobs*

SnagIt is an amazing product, for a lot of general office work or documentation (my primary responsibility), not just e-learning. If you think all it does it takes screenshots, you’re missing out on its full potential.

However, my office provides everyone with SnagIt, not just people working on e-learning. Anyone who needs it has access to Camtasisa as well (which is really just one person in our whole company). I’ve yet to touch BranchTrack or the eLearning Brothers’ libraries, so I couldn’t speak to those.

If there were a moderately discounted subscription package that included Lectora + maintenance package, ReviewLink, and nothing else, that’s what we would almost certainly do. Like I’d said above though, I’d be curious to see a poll of how other Lectora user’s utilize these extra products/services.

#395580 Score: 3
    Profile photo of Darrel Somoza
    Darrel Somoza
    contributor
    friend finder
    beginner
    intermediate
    junior moderator
    advanced
    wise owl
    curious george
    192 pts
    @Klaatu

Math, as I am sure you already know, not only are there better tools that do just about all of those things, most are free. Therefore, sidekicks as you call them add little value and should not be mentioned with regards to the cost of licensing and maintenance.  If they are part of it, take them all away and drop the prices in half; offer them a la cart.  Buying Lectora for those extra’s is like buying a car because its stereo has Apple Play.
    What I’d like to hear/see in v18:

Fix any and all bugs
    Add every feature that Storyline 3 has that is missing from Lectora Inspire
    Add at least two new major features
    Make all the other “would be nice” changes that have been requested over the years (asset names, etc.)

We were told that the acquisition of Trivantis by StoneCalibre would be good for Lectora. So far I’m not seeing it. What I am seeing is what happened with ToolBook when they were bought by SkillSoft.

Want sidekick alternatives?

ReviewLink – Use a test server with the actual LMS that runs on production. Then you’ll be sure your work will run correctly on the LMS it will live on. Use a simple pdf form for reviewers to submit comments/changes. Yes, ReviewLink is convenient but it doesn’t guarantee compatibility as well as the actual LMS would.

Snagit – Windows snipping tool

Camtasia – VLC or any other free screen recorder

BranchTrack – If/Then statements

Elearning Brothers – Google (or your favorite search engine) or a camera for images and some programming knowledge for their learning modules. This may be the only asset worth adding for e-learning authors who do not want to learn whats behind the scenes or who do not want to make sure images they find in a search are royalty free. By the way, it is simple to buy accounts without a rapid authoring app.

It would probably be a good marketing idea if Trivantis/StoneCalibre sent out a private poll to its users.

This post has received 3 votes up.
    #395768 Score: 1
    Profile photo of amanda hetherington
    amanda hetherington
    beginner
    intermediate
    friend finder
    curious george
    picture perfect
    wise owl
    contributor
    7 pts
    @ahetherington9113

I agree with Math, it crossed my mind who would find those extras of value.

For me, I LOVE ReviewLink, it could be improved, but I love it anyway. I’d probably want to use it even if I wasn’t using Lectora.
    As others have mentioned, I use Camtasia and Snagit, but I would have licenses for those independently anyway, and I prefer using them outside of Lectora rather than built in.
    Regarding BranchTrack and eLearning Brothers assets, I’m really not interested in those at all. They really remind me of the (cringe) early days of eLearning, and I NEVER want to use poses of people smiling, pointing, frowning etc in my designs, so I don’t use those images from Lectora.

I would prefer better, simpler, more robust functionality from Lectora.

#395772 Score: 1
    Math Notermans
    contributor
    intermediate
    advanced
    friend finder
    junior moderator
    advocate
    LUC16 Attendee
    LUC16
    wise owl
    curious george
    110 pts
    @mnotermans5114

I see my own thoughts reflected in the posts here. ReviewLink is appreciated. The rest of the sidekicks are not widely used and can be missed. Like Zachary i do have and use Camtasia and SnagIt outside the Lectora bundle, so no need for it bundled. I do think Trivantis should reconsider their policy on this. And as stated before a poll on the forum for topics like this would benefit both Trivantis and the usercommunity… well if Trivantis listens to its users 😉

#395790 Score: 0
    Profile photo of mallow76
    mallow76
    beginner
    intermediate
    contributor
    wise owl
    curious george
    22 pts
    @mallow76

You can get Lectora without all these addons – it’s called Lectora Publisher. It’s still very expensive for what you get though (in comparison to the leading competitor). Lectora Inspire is the package that contains all of these extras.

I agree that Review Link is great though I have had quite a few issues with it of late.

Camtasia and SnagIt are phenomenal but I have them separately anyway.

I also have no real interest in Branch Track or eLearning Brother’s assets.

#395877 Score: 0
    Zachary Liquorman
    beginner
    intermediate
    friend finder
    curious george
    wise owl
    contributor
    picture perfect
    8 pts
    @zliquorman1276

Lectora Inspire is the package that contains all of these extras.

Depending on when you purchased it, Inspire may have also had other benefits as well. For example, at least for my company, at the time we first purchased Lectora Inspire (and have since had a continuous maintenance package), we also got more slots for uploading content on ReviewLink than if you were to purchase Inspire today – according to the page listing features of Inspire, I believe it mentions Inspire currently entitles you to 50 slots for uploaded content on ReviewLink.

The cost of purchasing Lectora Publisher + ReviewLink’s unlimited upload package is about what it would be to just get Inspire, which is probably why many just get Inspire if they know they’ll want to use ReviewLink. And of course none of this includes the cost of the maintenance plan.

I don’t know what the default number of items you can upload to ReviewLink for Publisher is though, so as of today it might be better to just do that like you said, if you don’t need/want the rest and the amount of ReviewLink slots are sufficient.

#396173 Score: 0
    Math Notermans
    contributor
    intermediate
    advanced
    friend finder
    junior moderator
    advocate
    LUC16 Attendee
    LUC16
    wise owl
    curious george
    110 pts
    @mnotermans5114

Mmmm… i do have Inspire, and only have 4 slots for content in ReviewLink. Allthough i can manage with that, more would be nice.

#396236 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Cam Phillips
    Cam Phillips
    beginner
    intermediate
    friend finder
    wise owl
    curious george
    contributor
    14 pts
    @_

I’ve found ReviewMyElearning to be a nice alternative to ReviewLink – worth a look.

#396268 Score: 0
    Zachary Liquorman
    beginner
    intermediate
    friend finder
    curious george
    wise owl
    contributor
    picture perfect
    8 pts
    @zliquorman1276

Math Notermans said:

Mmmm… i do have Inspire, and only have 4 slots for content in ReviewLink. Although i can manage with that, more would be nice.

4!? Are you sure you have Inspire? Per the Trivantis FAQ:

How many content items can I host on ReviewLink?

Lectora Inspire users can host up to 50 active courses at no extra cost, and Lectora Publisher and Lectora Online users can host up to 10. If you need more space, you can choose to upgrade your subscription to in order to host additional items.

If you don’t have a Lectora or Lectora Online license, you can purchase ReviewLink separately to host Storyline and Captivate courses.

See: https://www.trivantis.com/products/reviewlink-e-learning-collaboration/faq

#396271 Score: 0
    Math Notermans
    contributor
    intermediate
    advanced
    friend finder
    junior moderator
    advocate
    LUC16 Attendee
    LUC16
    wise owl
    curious george
    110 pts
    @mnotermans5114

Yes i am sure.  Doesnot bother me that much, since holding up 4 simultaneous projects in review-phase is enough for me 😉 But… its still weird indeed…

#397211 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Ann Sisco
    Ann Sisco
    beginner
    intermediate
    friend finder
    wise owl
    curious george
    contributor
    5 pts
    @prg1792

I don’t use any of the extras and am not interested (we have alternatives that we are happy with). We only use Lectora Publisher, but are waiting for bug fixes in order to use v17.

I agree with Darrel – fix the bugs, update the core product to the level of Storyline 3, add new features (not add-on products). I just saw the press release for the Yet Analytics partnership. Great, but not helpful for someone just trying to use the core product.

#403118 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Andrew Lian
    Andrew Lian
    beginner
    intermediate
    friend finder
    advanced
    contributor
    wise owl
    curious george
    12 pts
    @mlapl1

So … can someone (e.g. @jvalley4735) please answer the basic questions: Will there be a Lectora 18? When will it be available? What will it be able to do? and How much will it cost?

These questions got lost in the ongoing conversations about the product.

Like Darrel (@klaatu), I too am having reminiscences of Toolbook.

Cheers

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 56 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.