Viewing 11 posts - 46 through 56 (of 56 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of mallow76
    mallow76
    beginner
    intermediate
    contributor
    wise owl
    curious george
    23 pts
    @mallow76

I’m not waving, I’m drowning!

Indeed. And I for one am not throwing them any more life rings (maintenance payments). Have thrown plenty in the past but they seem happy just to tread water.

#411698 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Laura Silver
    Laura Silver
    junior moderator
    verified member
    beginner
    intermediate
    contributor
    wise owl
    friend finder
    advanced
    curious george
    Group Member
    21 pts
    @lsilver

@mallow76@approg –

Please know that we value your feedback and are always striving to improve our products, in both small and large ways. Some changes are easy to see – like new features and enhancements. Some are under the covers (Lectora is almost 20 years old! We’ve always got some plumbing to do.) Certainly, your disappointment is heard, and your opinions are valued. As we work toward future versions of Lectora, we’ll be sure to take this into account, as well as any specific improvements you’d like to see. If you’d like to speak with me directly, I’m always available. Feel free to email info@trivantis.com and mention my name – Laura Silver – and your note will be directed to me.

#411722 Score: 0
    Profile photo of approg
    approg
    beginner
    intermediate
    curious george
    wise owl
    contributor
    friend finder
    picture perfect
    21 pts
    @approg

I read similar things each time a new version is released.

#411742 Score: 0
    Profile photo of mallow76
    mallow76
    beginner
    intermediate
    contributor
    wise owl
    curious george
    23 pts
    @mallow76

Lectora is almost 20 years old! We’ve always got some plumbing to do

And this is exactly the problem. Plumbing systems need replaced after that long not just continually patched. There are way more modern ways to do these things today. The Lectora of today (editor and output) is not vastly different to all those years ago. Instead of adapting to change (like your major competitors have), time and effort go towards things like VAAST and CenarioVR – both of which, as far as I can tell, are absolute flops.

#411915 Score: 0
    Profile photo of approg
    approg
    beginner
    intermediate
    curious george
    wise owl
    contributor
    friend finder
    picture perfect
    21 pts
    @approg

I’m unsure what is meant by “plumbing”. If it means having legacy code that you don’t want to fix because you are unsure what it does then I feel for you. Especially when a quick look at one of the js files (trivantis-button.js) turns up this

if (!this.name.indexOf(“button”) >- 1)

which would’ve been easier for a maintenance engineer to understand if it had been written

if (this.name.indexOf(“button”) == -1)

One thing I can say in Lectora’s defence is that perhaps they need to support all the way back to IE 6 (whereas all the people I deal with use modern browsers.) That would explain all the “invalid”, deprecated, outdated code that Lectora publishes.

#412296 Score: 1
    Profile photo of Ann Sisco
    Ann Sisco
    beginner
    intermediate
    friend finder
    wise owl
    curious george
    contributor
    5 pts
    @prg1792

I am anxious to test v18 for accessibility. I have not used v17 for production at all due to all of its accessibility issues. Fingers crossed that v18 is truly fixed in that regard.

Storyline and Captivate are still ahead in features, ease of use, etc. As for Lectora as a whole, I do like that it is the only major tool to publish HTML content that uses objects recognized by the DOM. Both Storyline and Captivate publish HTML, but not in such a way that JAWS recognizes the structure. So a definite plus for Lectora. However, the HTML that is published is far from good, even for simple things. Adding a margin to a text object results in an TABLE object wrapping the text with padding on the TD. Unordered sub-bullets are not written as nested lists. So plenty of cleanup that could still be done there.

But I wonder what is the vision for Lectora? What is the direction of the tool, fixes aside? What’s the next major design move? (I don’t regard Vaast and CenarioVR as improvements to the core tool.)

This post has received 1 vote up.
    #412322 Score: 3
    Profile photo of Zachary Liquorman
    Zachary Liquorman
    beginner
    intermediate
    friend finder
    curious george
    wise owl
    contributor
    picture perfect
    8 pts
    @zliquorman1276

Honestly I think I’ve felt the same as every one of these comments since v18 was released.

I am anxious to test v18 for accessibility. I have not used v17 for production at all due to all of its accessibility issues. Fingers crossed that v18 is truly fixed in that regard.

I really hope so, too. I’ve been adding accessibility features manually and it’s been an exhausting pain. For my company, any and all content must be Section 508/WCAG 2.0 (AA) compliant. So for me, this one thing being fixed would be huge for making content faster and thus justifying the cost of continuing to use Lectora.

Storyline and Captivate are still ahead in features, ease of use, etc. As for Lectora as a whole, I do like that it is the only major tool to publish HTML content that uses objects recognized by the DOM. Both Storyline and Captivate publish HTML, but not in such a way that JAWS recognizes the structure. So a definite plus for Lectora.

Agreed, and remains the only reason I’ve pushed back at every opportunity when the subject of using something other than Lectora at my company has been brought up. It’s less important to my co-workers who aren’t familiar with HTML/CSS/JS, but for me it’s the single most useful and defining feature of Lectora. I can generate decent tutorial slides for web quickly, and anything that Lectora can’t do “stock” I can do with my own code.

However, the HTML that is published is far from good, even for simple things. Adding a margin to a text object results in an TABLE object wrapping the text with padding on the TD. Unordered sub-bullets are not written as nested lists. So plenty of cleanup that could still be done there.

Absolutely agree 1000% with this. Looking at some of the code trying to figure out just why Lectora is breaking really simple HTML objects and/or what it’s wrapping my code in makes me want to cry sometimes. It’s not particularly obfuscated compared to other code I’ve seen (generally), but it is often hard to work with and would benefit the end-users if it were a bit more modular in design (a tall order for an existing product and code as old as Lectora’s, I know). I’d kill to be able to at least tweak or otherwise configure how Lectora handles integrating HTML object and associated code (e.g. I don’t need accessibility features added to my HTML object when it’s already got everything needed for that in its own code).

But I wonder what is the vision for Lectora? What is the direction of the tool, fixes aside? What’s the next major design move? (I don’t regard Vaast and CenarioVR as improvements to the core tool.)

This is the nugget right here for me. If Lectora’s going to coast and only release more or less maintenance updates with very minor new features for new release versions, it’s going to get surpassed by another product sooner rather than later. It’s going to be hard to play catch-up with the product that does if the current user-base starts migrating. I know I won’t be advocating for waiting around for Lectora to catch up if that day comes.

My goal is simply to make the best content I can with the least amount of work. Spending more time making sure Lectora hasn’t broken my custom code/fixing it than it took to write it in the first place doesn’t feel very productive, and there’s simply no way to expect Lectora to offer every single feature I’d like such that adding my own code won’t be necessary.

This post has received 3 votes up.
    #412325 Score: 0
    Profile photo of approg
    approg
    beginner
    intermediate
    curious george
    wise owl
    contributor
    friend finder
    picture perfect
    21 pts
    @approg

Do something simple like set the value of a variable to

javascript:return ‘foo’;

When you try to run the page it gives you a JavaScript error and the page freezes.

Whatever is the cause of the error is not the issue. The BIG issue is that Lectora doesn’t sanitize the input so this type of error can’t occur (basic computer science stuff.)

#413204 Score: 0
    Ann Sisco
    beginner
    intermediate
    friend finder
    wise owl
    curious george
    contributor
    5 pts
    @prg1792

I’m already seeing accessibility issues with the output of v18. Still testing, so I do not have a complete report yet, but disappointed so far.

#414139 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Zachary Liquorman
    Zachary Liquorman
    beginner
    intermediate
    friend finder
    curious george
    wise owl
    contributor
    picture perfect
    8 pts
    @zliquorman1276

What have you found so far?

I’m in the final stages of a project we’re preparing to publish to an LMS and I will need to do an accessibility compliance (Section 508) check. I’m really hoping at least my “custom” accessibility fixes didn’t break…

#414410 Score: 2
    Ann Sisco
    beginner
    intermediate
    friend finder
    wise owl
    curious george
    contributor
    5 pts
    @prg1792

I tested a version of my courseware, so this is not necessarily an exhaustive list. I have submitted these to the WCAG team, and got an immediate reply that these would be looked at right away.

Here is what my testing showed…

Keyboard-only:

1. The visual indicators for focus are not visible if the object is on top of another object. The box-shadows draw as the bottom-most layer behind everything else. For a workaround, I used the trivantis-focus.css provided with v17 which includes an outline definition that gives a visual indication of focus.
    2. There is no focus indicator visible for transparent buttons which tend to be on top of other objects (same box-shadow issue as above). To fix, I edited the HTML file to set the opacity of the surrounding DIV to be 1 instead of 0.01. That shows the outline defined in the v17 trivantis-focus.css.
    3. Audio DIV container has tabindex=0 instead of -1. For a workaround, I edited mediaelement-and-player.js line 2439.

Screen Reader:

1. An HTML extension object (custom DIV) is incorrectly written to the top of the HTML instead of with the page objects where it should be. To fix, I edited the HTML file to move the object.

This post has received 2 votes up.
Viewing 11 posts - 46 through 56 (of 56 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.