Explore the community Forums Lectora Lectora Questions & Answers Lectora: Auto resume lesson.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Phineas Fuhrmeister
    Phineas Fuhrmeister
    beginner
    intermediate
    curious george
    wise owl
    friend finder
    contributor
    @pfuhrmeister.5687

I know a dialog box pops up that gives you the option to resume or start over on your lesson… ‘Ok’ and ‘Cancel’

The problem is, is that this dialog box is extremely extremely buggy and can easily break a lesson if a user even tries to slightly break it.
    We need a way to NOT show the dialog box (I already know its possible by simply checking a box) but ALSO to auto resume them (don’t even give them the option to start at the beginning)

If this is simple to do, please let me know. One user suggested to me one time that for each page that I may want to load into, I create a custom action for… Yeah no, not going too happen.

I can’t post the code that does the things because this forum thinks it is dangerous text…. However these following functions are found in trivantis-dialog.js

jsDlgMsgBox.prototype.onInitDialog = function() //Creates the dialog

jsDlgMsgBox.prototype.getBtnHTML = function(btnId) //Sets the button text and assigns functions (I think)

jsDlgMsgBox.prototype.onBtn = function(e,btnId) //Runs the functions for each button.
    This is the ‘Trivantis-dialog.js’ file. And it basically builds a dialog box, and then assigns function calls to if the user presses Okay or Cancel (On mouseclick) then it passes either a 1 or a 0 to something.

We can’t quite figure out how to make it skip creating the dialog box and still successfully pass a 0 automatically (I think zero means continue where left off…. If I remember correctly)

We REALLY need help on this because the ‘Resume Lesson’ Popup is extremely buggy.

#434974 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Tim K
    Tim K
    contributor
    beginner
    intermediate
    advanced
    friend finder
    junior moderator
    advocate
    wise owl
    curious george
    Group Member
    320 pts
    @timk

Which version of Lectora do you use?

Which scorm version do you publish to?

Which LMS is it?

Do you publish with Seamless Play?

The prompt is the way Scorm means the bookmarking to be done (every authoring tool I know does it very similar to Lectoras solution). I don’t believe you can skip creating that dialog box, unless you uncheck “Prompt the user to …”. Well, as long as you don’t want to edit the published files …

I still don’t understand why the users cannot be allowed to choose or why a user would try to break it on purpose. I never had or heard of any problems with the dialog box.

But as Lectora publishes HTML and allows to run custom javascript, it should be possible to build your own bookmarking sytem, save the bookmark to the dedicated LMS field and use it to direct the user to that value without questions.

#434985 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Joe Wieloch
    Joe Wieloch
    beginner
    intermediate
    friend finder
    contributor
    LUC16 Attendee
    verified member
    wise owl
    LUC17 Attendee
    advanced
    picture perfect
    53 pts
    @wheels

Here is a similar post with a sample title. As Tim says, the scripting will depend on those factors he mentions.

Lectora : Auto navigate to last viewed page.

We have written an enhancement issue to allow for easier customization of bookmarking, hoping we can get to that soon.

#434989 Score: 0
    Phineas Fuhrmeister
    beginner
    intermediate
    curious george
    wise owl
    friend finder
    contributor
    @pfuhrmeister.5687

Joe, that link you posted is my own post. Unfortunately the solution provided in there is not going to work at all.

It is my understanding that for each page in a lesson, you need to add in an extra object / step / action (whichever it was) to go to each possible page you have.

Looking through Lectora’s code I can see the variables its passing that lets it just continue… I can’t seem to ‘hack’ it to get it to work though.

But yeah the solution in there is not good enough because we are building templates, and we might have 30 pages, or 10, or 14, and we non-coders will be using the template to build them. So for them to get the correct actions ironed out doesn’t seem satisfactory– although I appreciate the suggestion.

#434991 Score: 0
    Phineas Fuhrmeister
    beginner
    intermediate
    curious george
    wise owl
    friend finder
    contributor
    @pfuhrmeister.5687

Which version of Lectora do you use?

Which scorm version do you publish to?

Which LMS is it?

Do you publish with Seamless Play?

The prompt is the way Scorm means the bookmarking to be done (every authoring tool I know does it very similar to Lectoras solution). I don’t believe you can skip creating that dialog box, unless you uncheck “Prompt the user to …”. Well, as long as you don’t want to edit the published files …

I still don’t understand why the users cannot be allowed to choose or why a user would try to break it on purpose. I never had or heard of any problems with the dialog box.

But as Lectora publishes HTML and allows to run custom javascript, it should be possible to build your own bookmarking sytem, save the bookmark to the dedicated LMS field and use it to direct the user to that value without questions.

1. I’m on lectora version 18.1.13
    2. Scorm v1.2
    3. Not sure what LMS it is, but it communicates to our own personal API, etc.
    4. We do publish for seamless play, but it isn’t mandatory

We don’t want the user to choose mainly because of how often it breaks and because it is ugly.

We can get the lesson to break simply by backarrow and continuing, backarrow, then X out of the menu, go forward a couple times, backarrow, and it’s just broken and permanently stuck there, etc.

It’s not that we are worried about people TRYING to break it, but during testing we have seen multiple users mess it up (without even trying) and its just horrible…. We already know we would rather just have them auto continue so we are trying to work on that functionality without a whole bunch of super strict lectora actions that need to be carefully mapped for every possible page we have.

#434997 Score: 0
    Joe Wieloch
    beginner
    intermediate
    friend finder
    contributor
    LUC16 Attendee
    verified member
    wise owl
    LUC17 Attendee
    advanced
    picture perfect
    53 pts
    @wheels

I hear you, and well, like I said, we are working on making this configurable.

For now you can use this HTML Extension to do the auto resume. The library object, attached, is for v18 versions and I’m not really proud of it but wanted to give you a possible solution. You will need to test it. Insert the Library object when the Title (top node) is selected in the Title Explorer. This will add the HTML Extension.

You will still need to publish with the “Prompt the user to navigate to the last viewed page.” feature. The HTML Extension will disable the prompting but it needs the feature enabled to work properly.

FYI you can also style the dialog if you want to do that, but hopefully this will get you going and you will not need to.

Thanks for detailing out your use case and the issues you have with this feature.

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 3 days ago by Profile photo of Joe Wieloch Joe Wieloch. Reason: updated instructions
    #435002 Score: 0
    Phineas Fuhrmeister
    beginner
    intermediate
    curious george
    wise owl
    friend finder
    contributor
    @pfuhrmeister.5687

Thank you, Joe. I really appreciate it. I will be testing this out here shortly.

I am playing around with an action that runs javascript code that does something like: trivExitPage(AICC_Lesson_Location.getValue(),true);

once on page load. Will check out your solution as well depending on how this pans out.

#435008 Score: 0
    Phineas Fuhrmeister
    beginner
    intermediate
    curious george
    wise owl
    friend finder
    contributor
    @pfuhrmeister.5687

Joe, your script is working out good so far. The only error I get is when it tries to auto resume me to the very first page in my lesson.

I get the error:

trivantis-opautils.js:207 Uncaught TypeError: Cannot read property ‘arObjs’ of null
    at Function.jsOpaUtils.stopMedia (trivantis-opautils.js:207)
    at trivantis-opautils.js:218
    at trivCallBack (trivantis-opautils.js:20)

Would possibly an if statement work, one that checks if it is going to the first page of my lesson or not? And if so then just ignore it or something.

#435010 Score: 0
    Phineas Fuhrmeister
    beginner
    intermediate
    curious george
    wise owl
    friend finder
    contributor
    @pfuhrmeister.5687

I see you already have an IF statement for a001index.html…. I will try out a couple things of my own, if you have something you know will make it better than let me know, otherwise I will probably just try to extend off of this.

#435021 Score: 0
    Joe Wieloch
    beginner
    intermediate
    friend finder
    contributor
    LUC16 Attendee
    verified member
    wise owl
    LUC17 Attendee
    advanced
    picture perfect
    53 pts
    @wheels

I updated the Library Object so it should work now.

(it’s more up to date than the one I sent to you in your template and will work without the loading page if you want to do it that way)

Again, we are working on allowing authors to customize the resume course experience without scripting.

#435030 Score: 0
    Phineas Fuhrmeister
    beginner
    intermediate
    curious george
    wise owl
    friend finder
    contributor
    @pfuhrmeister.5687

Hello, Joe. I sent you some emails but i am writing this post sending of those.

I have not been able to test this properly, as when I publish, all my files are now being saved as a001_lesson_page_outline_template.html INSTEAD of something like: page05812.html

When the names are being saved as the latter, I was able to get partial functionality from the script you gave me yesterday, but it seems with the new name schema of the html pages, it no longer works at all.

Not sure how to change it back to the generic, but yeah.

#435033 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Johnattan Barona
    Johnattan Barona
    beginner
    intermediate
    wise owl
    contributor
    curious george
    8 pts
    @jbarona9656

Hi,

To get your page names back to of something like: page05812.html

During publish in your html options make sure the checkbox for Convert page names to short ID-based names.

#435190 Score: 1
    Profile photo of Tim K
    Tim K
    contributor
    beginner
    intermediate
    advanced
    friend finder
    junior moderator
    advocate
    wise owl
    curious george
    Group Member
    320 pts
    @timk

we are working on allowing authors to customize the resume course experience without scripting.

It would be great if we had a new reserved variable “Current_Page_Filename” (either “a001_chapter_1_page_1.html” or “page1234.html”). It would also be very helpful if the automatic bookmarking was done through actions instead of happening somewhere in the background:

On: Show
    Action: Modify variable
    Target: AICC_Lesson_Location
    Value: VAR(Current_Page_Filename)

Then it would be very easy to disinherit bookmarking for certain pages, set it to “Empty” or change the bookmark value to a different target page.

It would definitely provide an easy solution for this question, without custom script or searching for the correct filename:

Last Page Viewed exception for assessment

… it would also be helpful when trying to navigate through custom javascript.

This post has received 1 vote up.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.