Explore the community Forums Lectora Lectora Questions & Answers Limiting Test Attempt Variable Not Retaining

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Susan McCrae
    Susan McCrae
    beginner
    intermediate
    curious george
    wise owl
    contributor
    @smccrae4586

Hi all, I wonder if you can help.

I want to limit the number of test attempts a user has and have each attempt passed back through to my LMS, where the module locks down after 3 attempts.

I’ve added a variable ExamAttempts, set it at 0 and retained between sessions and when I stay within the module it seems to work as I’d like.  However, when I exit the module and go back in, it goes back to the first attempt.

I’m sure I must be doing something wrong because I’ve tried in on SCORM Cloud and exactly the same thing is happening.

Any suggestions on what I am doing wrong would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Susan

#428283 Score: 0
    Profile photo of tea
    tea
    beginner
    intermediate
    curious george
    friend finder
    wise owl
    picture perfect
    contributor
    3 pts
    @tea

@smccrae4586  I made a simple with a variable that retains it’s value between sessions. I modify the variable, then relaunch with scorm and my values stay set.

Would it be possible to get a copy of your title, or a stripped down copy?

#428285 Score: 0
    Susan McCrae
    beginner
    intermediate
    curious george
    wise owl
    contributor
    @smccrae4586

Sure thing! I’ve stripped out a couple of videos and some audio.  It’s just a compliance Right to Work course 🙂

I’m positive I must be doing something silly or over complicating it but I have no idea.  I’ve used Lectora for ages but always steered away from variables as I’m not great but I thought this time I had it sussed.

I’ve tried to attach it on here but looks like I’m getting a server error.

Can I email it to you maybe via WeTransfer?

Thanks loads

Susan

#428289 Score: 0
    Susan McCrae
    beginner
    intermediate
    curious george
    wise owl
    contributor
    @smccrae4586

@tea I think it may work this time

#428297 Score: 0
    Profile photo of tea
    tea
    beginner
    intermediate
    curious george
    friend finder
    wise owl
    picture perfect
    contributor
    3 pts
    @tea

@smccrae4586 I published your course to scorm and uploaded to scorm cloud. I can close the module and relaunch, and the Exam_Attempts var gets incremented each time. I launched in Chrome, FF and IE11

When you close the module, are you relaunching in the same browser session, or closing the browser? I tried switching between browsers but cannot get the error.  I can discuss with development also, to see if they know of something that could be causing the var to reset.

#428299 Score: 0
    Susan McCrae
    beginner
    intermediate
    curious george
    wise owl
    contributor
    @smccrae4586

Thanks so much @tea – I’m in Chrome but I have been experiencing some issues recently with other modules I’ve published not displaying properly.

Let me try in IE and firefox and I’ll keep you posted on how I’m doing.

In the meantime, if you could have a chat with dev, that would be really helpful.

Susan

#428301 Score: 0
    Susan McCrae
    beginner
    intermediate
    curious george
    wise owl
    contributor
    @smccrae4586

P.S. yes, I wasn’t closing out the browser at all – was just staying in Chrome.  Really odd.

#428430 Score: 0
    Profile photo of tea
    tea
    beginner
    intermediate
    curious george
    friend finder
    wise owl
    picture perfect
    contributor
    3 pts
    @tea

@smccrae4586  I went over this with our developer, he can’t see why this would happen to you either. Especially strange that you title works OK for me too.  He said he’ll get back with me if he thinks of anything to try or check.

Did you get a chance to try this in FF or IE yet?

#428435 Score: 1
    Profile photo of Tim K
    Tim K
    contributor
    beginner
    intermediate
    advanced
    friend finder
    junior moderator
    advocate
    wise owl
    curious george
    Group Member
    309 pts
    @timk

Here’s something that you might consider:

I saw, you’re setting “AICC_Lesson_Status” only depending on the score. I didn’t test it in a LMS but if I imagine the course running in moodle, whatever the user achieves in the test, “AICC_Lesson_Status” is set to a completion state, i.e. either “completed” or “failed” (which also means “completed”).

If the user doesn’t close the window, your internal attempts counting should work, the running session doesn’t really recognize itself being completed. Values may be overwritten, but …

If the user closes the window, moodle will finish the Scorm attempt. The next time the course is opened, a new Scorm attempt is started. This means the course is again “not attempted” with all variables having their initial values, e.g. “ExamAttempts” = 0.

In summary: You should keep AICC_Lesson_Status “incomplete” (by not changing it) until Right_to_Work_Validation_Score = 100 OR ExamAttempts = 3 (or 2 if you start counting at 0)

This post has received 1 vote up.
    #428471 Score: 0
    Susan McCrae
    beginner
    intermediate
    curious george
    wise owl
    contributor
    @smccrae4586

@tea You figured it out for me! I tried on IE11 this morning and it’s working & tracking perfectly.  Also tried from Chrome on my home PC so it seems like I may have an issue with Chrome on my office laptop and not Lectora (or me) after all.  My challenge now is understanding how it might impact our colleagues, who are likely on the same version of Chrome as I am.  I’m hoping that our IT team can push an update out to all users of Chrome in our business and this will resolve but I’ll make sure I have some users in the field test for me before I go live to the business.

Thanks again for your support and guidance these past few days – I really appreciate it 🙂

#428473 Score: 0
    Susan McCrae
    beginner
    intermediate
    curious george
    wise owl
    contributor
    @smccrae4586

@timk – thank you so much for your response too.  You have also solved another issue for me with the tracking back to my LMS.  I’m going to try what you suggest and I’ll let you know how I get on.

Thanks!

Susan

#428629 Score: 0
    Susan McCrae
    beginner
    intermediate
    curious george
    wise owl
    contributor
    @smccrae4586

@timk I have another question for you – if you don’t mind?  I read another thread which you’d supported with.  When I publish to my LMS and test it, I deliberately fail it 3 times.  My first attempt feeds through to my LMS as failed with the failed scored (which is right).  On my second attempt, I fail again, but this time the status on my LMS shows ‘incomplete’ with my failing score.  Then, on my third attempt, I fail again, and this time my status on my LMS shows ‘failed’ with my failed score but instead of showing another attempt, it updates the ‘incomplete’ attempt 2 and makes it look like I’ve only had 2 attempts.

I tested it on SCORM cloud and it feeds back as failed on the second attempt and I published in debug mode and the trigger on both attempts says ‘failed’ so I’ve contacted my LMS vendor to see if they can shed any light.

Have you ever come across this?

Thanks

Susan

#428993 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Tim K
    Tim K
    contributor
    beginner
    intermediate
    advanced
    friend finder
    junior moderator
    advocate
    wise owl
    curious george
    Group Member
    309 pts
    @timk

@smccrae4586

You need to be aware of the different types of “Attempts” we’re talking about. When you build your own attempts logic, by counting the times a user clicks “Process Test” this is not an “Attempt” from a Scorm perspective. A Scorm attempt is finished when the user reaches a completion state. You need to ensure that these two types are not mixed.

I attached a sample that I tested successfully in moodle. It counts the times a user is directed to the “Failed” page in a custom variable. The user can go through the test 3 times. But all of these “attempts” happen within the same Scorm attempt. AICC_Score and AICC_Lesson_Status are only changed when the user passes the test or fails the test for the 3rd time.

Your LMS may have a setting to limit the number of Scorm attempts a user may take. If you want to use this setting you’ll have to remove your custom attempts counting from the course and give the users a completion state after every try on the test, so that the Scorm attempt is finished and the next is started.

If you try to combine the two ways of counting (different types of) attempts, it’s not unlikely something unpredictable will happen and more LMS settings come into play.

When you fail your test for the first time and set AICC_Lesson_Status to “failed”:

For the LMS the Scorm attempt is finished, but your internal attempts counting says: 2 attempts left. When the course is opened the next time, moodle would either start a new Scorm attempt and everything would be in their initial states, e.g. attempts = 3 or moodle would launch the course in “Review mode”.

Review mode means: The course is displayed between Scorm attempts. The first one has been failed and the second attempt has not yet started. Moodle just lets you review your unsuccessful attempt.

Depending on other settings, this could mean that the values of this attempt (“failed” and “failing score”) can no longer be overwritten, no matter what you achieve in the test this time. But the internal attempts counting would of course still work, the LMS doesn’t know anything about it or what your trying to achieve with it and cannot react to anything that happens only within the course.

Attachments:
    1. 3Attempts.zip
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.