Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Andrew Lian
    Andrew Lian
    beginner
    intermediate
    friend finder
    advanced
    contributor
    wise owl
    curious george
    12 pts
    @mlapl1

Hello

I do not particularly like Moodle but have to use it for some lessons.

I compile a SCORM package. But the students’ scores are not always and consistently saved on the moodle.
    I believe that I have correctly set the AICC_Score variable. I understand that *just* doing that is enough to get Moodle updated.
    Do I have to send the variable to Moodle? How do I trigger the upload of the result?

I also believe that I have set moodle to receive the scores correctly – and I have also set up the Completion section correctly (I think).

Any clues?
    Thanks
    Andrew

#378964 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Tim K
    Tim K
    contributor
    beginner
    intermediate
    advanced
    friend finder
    junior moderator
    advocate
    wise owl
    curious george
    Group Member
    355 pts
    @timk

Hi Andrew,

I like moodle very much.

Technically, from the Lectora perspective, modifying AICC_Score should be enough to send a score, but AICC_Score is the score for the Scorm attempt. As long as the attempt is “incomplete”, moodle won’t publish a score. Depending on your settings for “Attempts management” you’ll have to send a completion status, AICC_Lesson_Status, to get a score.

Tim

#378969 Score: 0
    Andrew Lian
    beginner
    intermediate
    friend finder
    advanced
    contributor
    wise owl
    curious george
    12 pts
    @mlapl1

Hi Tim

Thanks a lot. Maybe that is what I was missing.

I will try it.

cheers
    andrew

#379129 Score: 0
    Andrew Lian
    beginner
    intermediate
    friend finder
    advanced
    contributor
    wise owl
    curious george
    12 pts
    @mlapl1

As a followup …

Sometimes, as students do exercises, they accumulate scores. They do not necessarily *complete* the exercise. How do I make sure that moodle registers their partial scores? Do I still need to send a “completed” message? I imagine that the moodle scorm engine is monitoring the AICC_ variables somehow. Or is there a special way to trigger the completion? I notice that Lectora 17 has a Send completed action but it is under xapi and may not apply to SCORM.

Thanks for any thoughts. Your comments have clarified a lot of things for me.

#379135 Score: 0
    Profile photo of mallow76
    mallow76
    beginner
    intermediate
    contributor
    wise owl
    curious george
    23 pts
    @mallow76

There’s a score_raw variable in SCORM that should capture and retain partial scores. You don’t need to do anything to provoke this.

#379150 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Darrel Somoza
    Darrel Somoza
    contributor
    friend finder
    beginner
    intermediate
    junior moderator
    advanced
    wise owl
    curious george
    209 pts
    @Klaatu

SCORM 1.2 API. The other versions, including Tin-can are here as well.

#379156 Score: 0
    Andrew Lian
    beginner
    intermediate
    friend finder
    advanced
    contributor
    wise owl
    curious george
    12 pts
    @mlapl1

Thank you very much Darrel and @mallow76. I appreciate the information. However, I wonder how some of these variables are read (do they need a trigger – if so how do I tell Moodle to read them?).

Or… does the SCORM engine in Moodle read them (and all I have to do is set them)? In some ways it might be easier to get an LRS (xAPI) to read the information but it takes longer and is less convenient (at the moment) than using standard SCORM.

Cheers
    Andrew

#379159 Score: 0
    Profile photo of mallow76
    mallow76
    beginner
    intermediate
    contributor
    wise owl
    curious george
    23 pts
    @mallow76

So are you wanting anyone that launches the module, no matter how much they have done, to get marked as ‘completed’ on the system with a score attached? If so you could just set up the actions to set the Lesson Status and (current) Score on maybe the exit button (maybe with a message asking ‘are you sure you want to Exit?’). This approach isn’t ideal though as those who are looking to complete the full module over multiple sessions will not be able to.

#379169 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Tim K
    Tim K
    contributor
    beginner
    intermediate
    advanced
    friend finder
    junior moderator
    advocate
    wise owl
    curious george
    Group Member
    355 pts
    @timk

I just checked in moodle 3.1

An action to

Action: Modify variable
    Target: AICC_Score
    Type: Set equal to
    Value: 90

directly sends this score to moodle. It’s read, saved and displayed even for an incomplete attempt. Please ignore my previous post.

#379178 Score: 0
    Andrew Lian
    beginner
    intermediate
    friend finder
    advanced
    contributor
    wise owl
    curious george
    12 pts
    @mlapl1

@mallow76 – thank you – Ideally, I do not want to mark as complete work that is not finalised.
    At the same time I do want to store (and show) partial results.

Tim – thank you for checking. Sending a completion statement (AICC_Status = completed) seems to work every time. I run a number of moodles – but the one I have to work on is the university’s and I am not sure of its version.

Now… if I understand correctly, all we have to do is set the variable AICC_Score and that is automatically sent to Moodle. In other words I do not have to send anything to moodle, the moodle SCORM engine will discover the value of this variable. Essentially that is what I have done yet recording of score does not always happen. Can you please confirm that just setting the variable gets it sent to moodle?

Thanks again to everybody

Andrew

#379214 Score: 0
    Andrew Lian
    beginner
    intermediate
    friend finder
    advanced
    contributor
    wise owl
    curious george
    12 pts
    @mlapl1

Hello again… still a bit confused

My personal moodle is 3.0.x – I should upgrade it but don’t want to disrupt activities at the moment.
    The university moodle seems to be a lower version but I cannot easily check. My questions refer to the university moodle.

What do I need to do to ensure that every time a student does a SCORM package the score for each attempt is fully recorded as an individual attempt and scored separately?

At the moment my personal moodle seems to keep a record of each attempt but the university moodle does not. Instead, it says that all attempts are attempt #1 and simply replaces the score for the attempt with the latest score (despite the grading being set at the “highest” score). As far as I can tell, the setup of the SCORM modules is identical on the two moodles. Clearly I am missing something.

Also I do not want to send “completed” until the lesson is actually completed.

I have read the moodle docs butfail to understand them clearly.

Any clues? I am really lost. I am pretty sure it has something to do with the way I set up the SCORM package inside moodle.

Thanks
    Andrew

#379217 Score: 0
    Andrew Lian
    beginner
    intermediate
    friend finder
    advanced
    contributor
    wise owl
    curious george
    12 pts
    @mlapl1

I thought you might like to know that, at least with the university version of moodle, the “Start New Attempt option is ignored if SCORM is set to appear in a popup”. This is what was preventing separate scores from being stored. It seems that the problem was fixed in later versions of moodle.

Does not solve my problem as the screen is too small and I cannot get all of the blocks to dock on the side of the page.

https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-46236

#379283 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Tim K
    Tim K
    contributor
    beginner
    intermediate
    advanced
    friend finder
    junior moderator
    advocate
    wise owl
    curious george
    Group Member
    355 pts
    @timk

Hi Andrew,

The description of the bug says, it would only prevent the course from being opened in a new attempt. It doesn’t seem to prevent the first attempt from being “completed”. As long as the attempt is running, the score may be changed. Setting “Attempts grading” to “Highest attempt” won’t help. If there’s only the one incomplete attempt, it will always be the highest / best attempt, even if the score is reduced by the course.

Tim

#379286 Score: 0
    Andrew Lian
    beginner
    intermediate
    friend finder
    advanced
    contributor
    wise owl
    curious george
    12 pts
    @mlapl1

Hello Tim, thanks.

Yes it does prevent new attempts from being opened/recorded. In my case, the final score remains changeable and no matter what setting I use, it is always the latest score that appears. I have solved it on the university moodle by NOT using the popup option and manipulating the moodle blocks to disappear while the Lectora title is running. The outcome is now exactly as I had hoped for, but it took a lot of work to discover the nature of the problem (pity they did not make it public more obviously). The bug appears to have been fixed in later version s of moodle (e.g. my private system).

Thanks again for all of your help.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.