Explore the community Forums Lectora LMS Integration LMSSetValue Error

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Knorberg
    Knorberg
    beginner
    intermediate
    friend finder
    curious george
    @Knorberg

Hi, I get an error message when I test my SCORM 1.2 title in my LMS: LMSSetValue Error:cmi.core.session_time to [00:00:00.0]Not initialized

and when clicking OK in the dialog box, a new error message: LMSCommit Error: Not initialized.

The results is that the course is not logging properly. Seems like it stops logging after each page.

Can anyone help me with this issue? Im not a programmer.

Feedback is highly appreciated.

Kristine

#347123 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Jennifer Valley
    Jennifer Valley
    contributor
    beginner
    friend finder
    advanced
    lectora beginner
    verified member
    wise owl
    picture perfect
    curious george
    117 pts
    @jvalley4735

Is there a timer or time limit set for this course either in your AU’s Information ribbon or LMS settings? I’d submit a support ticket (there’s a button on the right-hand side of the page to take you to the website).  The Support team is able to screen share with you while in your course on your LMS.

#347128 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Darrel Somoza
    Darrel Somoza
    contributor
    friend finder
    beginner
    intermediate
    junior moderator
    advanced
    wise owl
    curious george
    209 pts
    @Klaatu

Just a guess here but it looks like something in the lesson is either sending an LMSFinish to the LMS before the session time is submitted or the LMS isn’t being properly initialized.

Which Inspire version are you using? If you are publishing with Seemless play selected, try without it.

#347131 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Darrel Somoza
    Darrel Somoza
    contributor
    friend finder
    beginner
    intermediate
    junior moderator
    advanced
    wise owl
    curious george
    209 pts
    @Klaatu

Another question. You mentioned that it “Seems like it stops logging after each page.” Can you elaborate? Is the lesson closing after each page? What is making you think that it is logging anything at all, is there a cumulative time stored in your LMS for this lesson are does it show 00:00:00.0?

#428950 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Justin Hansen
    Justin Hansen
    beginner
    intermediate
    wise owl
    @jhansen4963

Good day, Fellow Forum Frequenters!

I too have had others tell me that they are receiving the error:

<span style=”font-family: ‘Calibri Light’,sans-serif;”><span style=”color: #000000;”>”LMSSetValue Error:cmi.core.session_time to [00:00:00.0] Not initialized” </span></span>

Has a resolution to this issue been discovered?  Does the version of Windows matter?

Side note:  no timer, no time limit.  SCORM 1.2

Thank you,

Justin

#428965 Score: 0
    Profile photo of CarlFink
    CarlFink
    beginner
    intermediate
    contributor
    LUC16 Attendee
    wise owl
    curious george
    advanced
    friend finder
    41 pts
    @CarlFink

Hi, Justin,

From what you write, it seems as if only some people get the error, or only some of the time? Can you clarify?

Do you know what Lectora Action is running (if any) when you receive the error? If it isn’t an explicit Action, what precedes the error? Page navigation? Completing a test? Just sitting idle on the same page?

What LMS are you using? Have you tested the course in another, say a free SCORM Cloud account?

Have you/your students tried a different browser?

#428968 Score: 0
    Justin Hansen
    beginner
    intermediate
    wise owl
    @jhansen4963

Hi Carl,

I have not received the error on my computer, but others are running into the error.   The “next” (page forward) action causes a lag and then eventually the error message pops up.  Almost immediately when starting the course, never makes it to the test.

I am running Lectora Publisher.  No, I don’t have a SCORM cloud to test it in.  I am almost certain the company security would shut all of that down for me.  🙁  I have created over a dozen or so courses, and this is the first one to pop this error.  It has me scratching my head.

Still waiting back to hear about the browser, but I wanted to update you.

Thank you

#428991 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Tim K
    Tim K
    contributor
    beginner
    intermediate
    advanced
    friend finder
    junior moderator
    advocate
    wise owl
    curious george
    Group Member
    354 pts
    @timk

cmi.core.session_time is a scorm variable, it’s not related to any course internal action or timer. It counts the time a user spends in the course, i.e. the time the window is opened. When the window is closed its value is added to cmi.core.total_time that informs you about the time the user has taken from “not attempted” to “completed”.

So, one of the first things that should happen when the course is launched would be to (re-)set the session time variable to “00:00:00.0”, before it starts counting. The error says it cannot do that. When you go to the next page the course tries again and the error is repeated.

Not initialized (301) Indicates that an API call was made before the call to LMSInitialize.”

Seems like the connection to the LMS is missing, maybe due to a missing internet connection.

#428996 Score: 0
    Justin Hansen
    beginner
    intermediate
    wise owl
    @jhansen4963

Hi Tim,

Great!  I don’t feel it is an internet connection issue, all of the connections are strong.  I have been looking through the forums and found a fix that happened in 2015 in a slightly unrelated LMS issue at:

https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=316441

I opened up the Java Script file (scofunctions.js) and found that that fix is present.  I found the specific input/ output script that may be affecting this ( “function computeTime() {” ), but since I don’t have the in-depth knowledge on Java, I don’t know if this is the actual issue.  I have attached the Java Script file you want to take a look.

Thank you,

#428998 Score: 0
    Justin Hansen
    beginner
    intermediate
    wise owl
    @jhansen4963

Arrgh, for security reasons, the Java Script file was not allowed.  So, I have included the snip-it below:
    function computeTime() {
    var startDate = readVariable( ‘TrivantisSCORMTimer’, 0 )
    if ( startDate != 0 ) {
    var currentDate = new Date().getTime();
    var elapsedMills = currentDate – startDate;
    var formattedTime = convertTotalMills( elapsedMills );
    }
    else formattedTime = “00:00:00.0”;
    MySetValue( “cmi.core.session_time”, formattedTime );
    }

Thank you,

#429048 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Tim K
    Tim K
    contributor
    beginner
    intermediate
    advanced
    friend finder
    junior moderator
    advocate
    wise owl
    curious george
    Group Member
    354 pts
    @timk

I’m not sure this function is the reason. It’s run when a page is loaded. When executed for the first time, i.e. when the course is launched, “startDate” is equal to 0.

If it’s not equal to 0 “if ( startDate != 0 )” the course calculates the difference between the startDate (the date the window has been opened) and the currentDate. The result is the time the window is open in milliseconds. The function “convertTotalMills()” brings the milliseconds into the format the LMS requires “hh:mm:ss.tenths” and saves the result in the variable “formattedTime” .

If startDate is equal to 0 (else), i.e. if the window has just been opened, it sets the formattedTime directly to “00:00:00.0”. The error occurs when the course tries to MySetValue( “cmi.core.session_time”, formattedTime)

But I don’t think it is related to the time formatting or time measure. The error says, “My attempt to set the LMS’ session time variable to the value of “formattedTime” fails, because the connection to the LMS is “Not initialized”. Or as Scorm.com formulates it: “The attempt to change the session time variable comes before the call to LMSInitialize.” which means the same: No connection to the LMS.

If something was wrong with the variable or its value, it should be a different error, e.g. “Incorrect Data Type”

Did you publish with “Prompt the user to navigate to the last viewed page”? If yes, the same error should occur:

LMS: LMSSetValue Error:cmi.core.lesson_location to [“welcome.html”]Not initialized

#429066 Score: 0
    CarlFink
    beginner
    intermediate
    contributor
    LUC16 Attendee
    wise owl
    curious george
    advanced
    friend finder
    41 pts
    @CarlFink

Tim, would it make sense to trap the error and run LMSInitialize() (again?) in the code?

I’m pretty ignorant of the SCORM API. We don’t even use SCORM at my company. Our LMS also has weird bugs, e. g. if you change a test score after saving it (using AICC), you can actually crash the server process entirely. (This was true as of 2017. We never tried it again after our provider told us to stop, obviously.)

• This reply was modified 1 year, 1 month ago by Profile photo of CarlFink CarlFink .
    #429160 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Tim K
    Tim K
    contributor
    beginner
    intermediate
    advanced
    friend finder
    junior moderator
    advocate
    wise owl
    curious george
    Group Member
    354 pts
    @timk

It should be easy enough to try, but I suppose it’s coming too late. The scorm functions are probably run first, before the first user-created action is executed. There must be a reason why the connection fails, and maybe it is not too likely that it connects half a second later. It can hardly be caused by something in the course, I create lots of scorm packages and I’ve never seen that error.

#429226 Score: 0
    CarlFink
    beginner
    intermediate
    contributor
    LUC16 Attendee
    wise owl
    curious george
    advanced
    friend finder
    41 pts
    @CarlFink

A random thought that occurs to me: if there is a CDN between the user and the LMS, or some sort of load-sharing so that several servers share a domain name, it would tend to break connections like that (especially if configured wrong). As I say, that’s a pure guess.

Justin: you can create a free account at cloud.scorm.com. It’s an LMS cloud service. If your company’s policy allows it, create an account there and see if you have the same problem with a different server.

#447874 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Szymon Andrzejewski
    Szymon Andrzejewski
    beginner
    intermediate
    wise owl
    @sandrzejewski.6162

Dear Lectora Inspire users

I also have LMS SetValue Error in my course but it is unspecified

My course in LI is inserted in my university ELearning platform based on Moodle

This error message shows when I’m clicking on Process Test Results button. All answers from the test section are properly transferred into ELearning platform but I want to get rid of this Error message.

Is there any mistake in test section parameters?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.