Explore the community Forums Lectora Lectora Suggestions Make Lectora more developer friendly.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Darrel Somoza
    Darrel Somoza
    contributor
    friend finder
    beginner
    intermediate
    junior moderator
    advanced
    wise owl
    curious george
    199 pts
    @Klaatu

Some suggestions and comments.

1. Please change the end of file scripting so that it is inserted just before the closing </body> tag (not after it). Pages with scripts after the body tag is not good practice, pages contained will not validate and it would depend on browser tolerance for them to work at all. The best place for linking to JavaScript is just before the closing body tag.

2. Why does Lectora generate and employ inline styling? Please do not inline or embed; put all styling on it’s own sheet.

3. Combine the external JavaScripts into one sheet (same with CSS) to reduce the number of HTTP requests thereby allowing pages to load faster.

4. Whats with the coded buttons? Just use CSS so we can add functionality and change classes on the fly.

5. If your going to provide HTML names, make sure they are the correct names that can actually be used to assign classes. While i am at it, why not provide that name in the explorer instead of the generics used now. They would still be able to be changed which I suppose most people do anyway.

6. For those of us who write scripts and css, please do not break naming conventions on future releases (not that you have, I just want to ensure the add-in modules I am making will continue to work down the line).

If others agree or disagree let’s hear it. Perhaps if a lot agree it will come to fruition faster.

Thanks for listening.

Darrel R. Somoza

elearningcode.com

This post has received 2 votes up.
    #312461 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Jennifer Valley
    Jennifer Valley
    contributor
    beginner
    friend finder
    advanced
    lectora beginner
    verified member
    wise owl
    picture perfect
    curious george
    114 pts
    @jvalley4735

Commenting so I can follow this conversation.

#312466 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Sergey Snegirev
    Sergey Snegirev
    contributor
    intermediate
    advanced
    friend finder
    lab member
    junior moderator
    advocate
    LUC16
    LUC16 Attendee
    wise owl
    336 pts
    @ssneg

Did you know you can add classes to object in Lectora? Pretty much solves your #5 and #6 problems.
    http://trivantis.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/Screen-shot-2014-09-11-at-10.38.17-AM.png

#312793 Score: 0
    Darrel Somoza
    contributor
    friend finder
    beginner
    intermediate
    junior moderator
    advanced
    wise owl
    curious george
    199 pts
    @Klaatu

They’re not really problems.  It would be nice adding classes like that if it worked consistently but unfortunately it doesn’t. Take a text entry for instance. You cannot add a class in its appearance tab and then target it with CSS. It won’t work.  While Lectora supplies an HTML name of something like ‘entry63’, the element that needs to be selected is ‘entry63id’ which is not provided for. You have to add a class with JavaScript.

Don’t take my post the wrong way. It is not in any way meant to disparage Lectora or Trivantis. I’m just trying to help make a great program even better.

DRS

#313420 Score: 0
    Sergey Snegirev
    contributor
    intermediate
    advanced
    friend finder
    lab member
    junior moderator
    advocate
    LUC16
    LUC16 Attendee
    wise owl
    336 pts
    @ssneg

You cannot add a class in its appearance tab and then target it with CSS. It won’t work.

But you can! Here’s an example (also, attached as ZIP)

1. In Lectora, add class “myclass” to an entry field.
    2. In Lectora, add Ext HTML object (or use any other method to add CSS) with the following code:

<style>
    .myfield {
    border: 4px solid blue;
    }
    .myfield input {
    color:red !important;
    }
    </style>

See the result (attached pic).

#313455 Score: 0
    Darrel Somoza
    contributor
    friend finder
    beginner
    intermediate
    junior moderator
    advanced
    wise owl
    curious george
    199 pts
    @Klaatu

Sergey, thank you however I’m thinking about something a little more advanced than changing the text color and border. Hey, it’s all good. One of the benefits of this forum is if someone needs assistance doing something that Lectora might not be capable of out of the box someone, like yourself, is always willing to help out.

#313470 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Math Notermans
    Math Notermans
    contributor
    intermediate
    advanced
    friend finder
    junior moderator
    advocate
    LUC16 Attendee
    LUC16
    wise owl
    curious george
    119 pts
    @mnotermans5114

Agreeing with Darrel on this… Most elements can have classes applied, but now and then i also run into a scenario where i can only achieve what i want by adding the class in Javascript.

Also i would love support for SVG in Lectora. I can use it, when coding it, but would be great if a designer could add SVGs by just creating them in Illustrator or whatever tool and import it, see it, position it and do his thing, and then as a developer i could target those SVGs to animate/script/morph do whatever i want with them.

Canvas support. Allthough you can work around it by adding a empty DIV and creating a canvas of it, would be great to have it more embedded in Lectora so all the nice 3rd party libraries that depend on Canvas work directly with Lectora.

#313492 Score: 0
    Sergey Snegirev
    contributor
    intermediate
    advanced
    friend finder
    lab member
    junior moderator
    advocate
    LUC16
    LUC16 Attendee
    wise owl
    336 pts
    @ssneg

> I’m thinking about something a little more advanced than changing the text color and border.

You said, and I quote, “Take a text entry for instance. You cannot add a class in its appearance tab and then target it with CSS. It won’t work.” I’ve just demonstrated that you can add a class to a text entry in its appearance tab and then target it with CSS and it will work. Once you do that, you can do absolutely anything with it.

#313493 Score: 1
    Profile photo of Tim K
    Tim K
    contributor
    beginner
    intermediate
    advanced
    friend finder
    junior moderator
    advocate
    wise owl
    curious george
    Group Member
    317 pts
    @timk

@ Darrels point 5:

Usually the html name is the id of the DIV that contains the element and from my experience this is working correctly. This DIV is what gets the CSS class by the way.

There is one Lectora element for that this isn’t true. There is something wrong with html extensions of the type “Custom Div”. That Div doesn’t get the html name (other1234) as its id, but its name in Lectora (without any blanks). So it can be “htmlextension” or “customdiv” depending on the name Lectora gives it when you add it. If you have more than one “Custom Div” you’ll have to make sure to give the copy a different name in order to make the ids unique.

Tim

This post has received 1 vote up.
    Attachments:
    #313581 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Math Notermans
    Math Notermans
    contributor
    intermediate
    advanced
    friend finder
    junior moderator
    advocate
    LUC16 Attendee
    LUC16
    wise owl
    curious george
    119 pts
    @mnotermans5114

And Groups dont accept Classes…

#313582 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Peter Jackson
    Peter Jackson
    beginner
    intermediate
    advanced
    friend finder
    contributor
    junior moderator
    wise owl
    group mod
    entry
    winner
    17 pts
    @pjackson2462

I would like to see the undocumented features list and have it available for members to vote on the items and this way the priority will be based on requirement and not just the squeaky door.  Undocumented features are things that don’t work and have been reported and are know issues, like:

• TOC not scrolling in iPad and other iOS. e.g.: works OK in Android
    • Button graphics being duplicated

This would save so much time trying to debug or asking for help.

I would like to see a much better Action system and when published instead of two or more style sheets and 8 or more JavaScript files there should only be one of each.  The publish process already know which js file to include so why not build a single one and apply that to all pages, these are some of the reasons for page flashing.

Regards, Peter

#313583 Score: 0
    Sergey Snegirev
    contributor
    intermediate
    advanced
    friend finder
    lab member
    junior moderator
    advocate
    LUC16
    LUC16 Attendee
    wise owl
    336 pts
    @ssneg

@mnotermans5114 YES! Groups not being able to accept CSS classes is something I asked for a long time ago.

#313996 Score: 0
    Darrel Somoza
    contributor
    friend finder
    beginner
    intermediate
    junior moderator
    advanced
    wise owl
    curious george
    199 pts
    @Klaatu

Hi Tim, can you elaborate? Are you saying that Lectora overwrites the ID (and/or classes) you assign to the DIV?

#314001 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Tim K
    Tim K
    contributor
    beginner
    intermediate
    advanced
    friend finder
    junior moderator
    advocate
    wise owl
    curious george
    Group Member
    317 pts
    @timk

Good morning Darrel,

nothing’s overwritten. I’m talking about the div that Lectora produces automatically that wraps your code. It gets its id in an uncommon way. This means when you add another custom div it will also get the id “customdiv” which will cause issues.

Tim

• This reply was modified 3 years, 6 months ago by Profile photo of Tim K Tim K. Reason: Thought I could overwrite the first image that contains a typo but I couldn't so now you get two
    #314030 Score: 0
    Darrel Somoza
    contributor
    friend finder
    beginner
    intermediate
    junior moderator
    advanced
    wise owl
    curious george
    199 pts
    @Klaatu

Eww, that is not good. Thanks for the explanation.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.