Explore the community Forums Lectora Lectora Questions & Answers MP3 Sound Files on Phone Won't Play

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of TxLady
    TxLady
    beginner
    intermediate
    advanced
    contributor
    wise owl
    curious george
    1 pt
    @TxLady

I have a very short class I created (my first Responsive design) and the sound files are MP3.  Works great on the computer or a tablet, but not on my phone (Droid).  So based on what I was reading, I needed to download an MP3 player for my phone – which I did.  Still no sound.  I’m kinda phone challenged, so it’s possible I’ve overlooked something.  Should I pick a different format for the SmartPhone classes?

#316369 Score: 2
    Profile photo of Sergey Snegirev
    Sergey Snegirev
    contributor
    intermediate
    advanced
    friend finder
    lab member
    junior moderator
    advocate
    LUC16
    LUC16 Attendee
    wise owl
    336 pts
    @ssneg

You don’t need to download anything on your phone. It should just work in browser. However, autoplay will not work in browser (this is imposed by phone manufacturers, nothing can be done about it) so you have to create a Play Audio button in your course that learners have to press for the audio to play.

This post has received 2 votes up.
    #316378 Score: 1
    Profile photo of Darrel Somoza
    Darrel Somoza
    contributor
    friend finder
    beginner
    intermediate
    junior moderator
    advanced
    wise owl
    curious george
    199 pts
    @Klaatu

You can auto-play audio an android phone if you change a setting in the chrome browser. In the address bar type chrome://flags

This will open up internal chrome settings. scroll down until you find Gesture requirement for media playback. By default it is enabled. Tap Disable and auto-play will work.

Keep in mind, however, that auto-play is disabled by default because data usage on mobile devices can be inadvertently incurred. You might want to go back into the setting and re-enable it after testing.

This post has received 1 vote up.
    #316444 Score: 1
    Profile photo of Sergey Snegirev
    Sergey Snegirev
    contributor
    intermediate
    advanced
    friend finder
    lab member
    junior moderator
    advocate
    LUC16
    LUC16 Attendee
    wise owl
    336 pts
    @ssneg

More importantly, keep in mind that the “chrome://flags” bit will have to be performed by every learner on every phone, which makes it pretty useless for real world production.

#316456 Score: 1
    Profile photo of Darrel Somoza
    Darrel Somoza
    contributor
    friend finder
    beginner
    intermediate
    junior moderator
    advanced
    wise owl
    curious george
    199 pts
    @Klaatu

To Sergey’s point this is obviously not an acceptable solution as you cannot remotely alter these settings. I provided it to you because as a developer you should have every tool at your disposal.

Also to reiterate what Sergey initially said, you should not have to do anything to get MP3’s to play on an android phone. I’d look at the MP3 file as either corrupt or incorrectly encoded.

#316555 Score: 0
    Profile photo of TxLady
    TxLady
    beginner
    intermediate
    advanced
    contributor
    wise owl
    curious george
    1 pt
    @TxLady

Thank you for all the wonderful responses!  I will try the auto-play button.  And nice to know about the flags thing.  I will also check that out.  I’m so glad there are so many wonderful experts out there to help me!

#317077 Score: 0
    Profile photo of CarlFink
    CarlFink
    beginner
    intermediate
    contributor
    LUC16 Attendee
    wise owl
    curious george
    advanced
    22 pts
    @CarlFink

At the Lectora User Conference, it was announced that the next (or a future) release of Lectora will have a workaround for this browser limitation. By having all the content on one HTML “page” (and swapping it visibly using JavaScript), the learner will be able to tap once at the beginning of the course and then all audio will play without further user permission, transparently.

#317220 Score: 0
    Profile photo of TxLady
    TxLady
    beginner
    intermediate
    advanced
    contributor
    wise owl
    curious george
    1 pt
    @TxLady

Yay!  Any idea when this will be available?  I have 80 classes to do – all very short – but this would be so WONDERFUL!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.