Explore the community Forums Lectora Lectora Questions & Answers Open attachment in Google Chrome

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Brian Robertson
    Brian Robertson
    beginner
    intermediate
    LUC16 Attendee
    curious george
    wise owl
    @brobertson4402

I’ve used 3 different actions to open an attachment.  All 3 behave the same way in Google Chrome which cause student confusion.

This is a SCORM 1.2 course that launches in a separate window from the LMS window. I use these actions to open the attachment:

• Open Attachment
    • GoTo Web, New Window
    • Launch

In IE, all 3 open the attachment in a new window on top of the current course window.  This new window is smaller than the course window so when the student closes the attachment window the course window is visible, receives the focus, and the student can continue with the course.

In Google Chrome, all 3 actions open the attachment in a new tab of the LMS window. When this tab receives the focus the course window is behind this window and not visible to the student.  Students struggle with returning to the course window which is behind the current window.  Frequently they end up closing everything and re-launching the LMS to start over.

Any suggestions on how we can improve the student experience with Google Chrome by somehow managing this better?  There was a point in time, about 1 year ago, when using the ‘GoTo Web, New Window’ action made Google Chrome behave like IE. But now, this method is no longer exhibiting that behavior in Google Chrome and we run into student navigation issues.

Thanks, Brian

#406830 Score: 0
    Profile photo of CarlFink
    CarlFink
    beginner
    intermediate
    contributor
    LUC16 Attendee
    wise owl
    curious george
    advanced
    9 pts
    @CarlFink

Hi, Brian. This looks like a problem I asked about way back in February of 2016. As mentioned there, until Trivantis fixes their own code the simple fix is to edit the file trivantis.js so that the relevant code includes height and width parameters, or use Lightbox popups if they apply to your content. You can edit the trivantis.js in the program directory and that will be copied into all published courses pre-hacked.

#406859 Score: 0
    Brian Robertson
    beginner
    intermediate
    LUC16 Attendee
    curious george
    wise owl
    @brobertson4402

Thanks for the suggestion Carl!

#406890 Score: 0
    Profile photo of CarlFink
    CarlFink
    beginner
    intermediate
    contributor
    LUC16 Attendee
    wise owl
    curious george
    advanced
    9 pts
    @CarlFink

Coincidentally, a colleague of mine called me a few hours after I posted with the identical problem, displaying a PDF in a popup window in Chrome. In her case we decided the simple solution was just to copy the content (it is a one-page PDF containing a simple table) to a Lectora page and not even worry about the attachment.

#407158 Score: 0
    Brian Robertson
    beginner
    intermediate
    LUC16 Attendee
    curious george
    wise owl
    @brobertson4402

Thanks again Carl.  Unfortunately, this is a compliance doc so I can’t reproduce on a Lectora page. Too bad … I’m always looking for the low-tech solution.

Looks like we have to go with the Lightbox option for now.

Thanks again!

#407163 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Stan Miller
    Stan Miller
    beginner
    intermediate
    LUC16 Attendee
    wise owl
    contributor
    curious george
    friend finder
    LUC17 Attendee
    30 pts
    @smiller7502

Would it work to use a web window? We’ve used this to good effect in a situation that seems similar. Instead of opening in a new window, it opens in the course window. We have ours set to slide in and out when a button that looks like a folder tab is clicked, but it could just as easily be its own page in the course.

The web window displays the content in an iframe, so if you need to track any user actions within it you’ll need JavaScript to do so. But it works well for us.

#407165 Score: 0
    Brian Robertson
    beginner
    intermediate
    LUC16 Attendee
    curious george
    wise owl
    @brobertson4402

Hummm … interesting treatment Stan … I’ll give it a shot!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.