Explore the community Forums Lectora Lectora Questions & Answers Page width in responsive course title

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Vasilis Kranias
    Vasilis Kranias
    beginner
    intermediate
    picture perfect
    curious george
    wise owl
    contributor
    @vkranias8417

I can’t change the width of the page in a responsive course title, almost for all devices except desktop device.

Attachments:
    #325936 Score: 2
    Profile photo of Sergey Snegirev
    Sergey Snegirev
    contributor
    intermediate
    advanced
    friend finder
    lab member
    junior moderator
    advocate
    LUC16
    LUC16 Attendee
    wise owl
    336 pts
    @ssneg

Lectora’s logic: the width of the page in the mobile views is irrelevant because it will always be sized to match the actual device width. However, I do understand the frustration and I see no reason for the width to not be user-controlled. Why can’t I set a page to e.g. 320px width and then let Lectora resize it to device width?

Example: I would like to set the page width in mobile portrait to 640px, design my course in Photoshop at 640px width, export all assets, build the course and then when it resizes to 320px on an iPhone, all assets will be 2x-sized for retina.

Another example: I need to build a course that matches an iPad screen exactly in full screen mode. So it needs to be 1024 x 768 px in tablet landscape. Lectora offers me 1009px. So to achieve what I want, I need to calculate 1009/1024*768=757 and set the page height to 757. Then, when 1009 expands to 1024, 757 will expand to 768. Why do you make me do this?

More examples: I need to design two pictures for a page. One images needs to be 1024px wide, another one needs to be 600px. So I design them in Photoshop, import into Lectora and they are a bit wider than necessary, of course. So I have to resize 1024px it down to 1009px and 600px down to… wait.. what was the number? Let me get my calculator.. It should be 1009/1024*600 = 591px (approximately!), okay, size it down to 591px. Imagine doing it to every asset in the course.

Of course, I could design the whole course in Photoshop aiming at 1009px but that would be mighty inconvenient because I will have to recalculate all standard iPad values such as 40px header bar (I will have to keep in mind it is only 39.4px high in my 1009px world) etc. And while assembly in Lectora would be faster, all the images on the iPad would be stretched a couple percent, resulting in artefacts.

What is the efficient way of doing this? Lectora’s efficient way of doing this would be to create assets in Photoshop as 1024×768 (easy), then build the DESKTOP page in 1024×768 (easy) and then let Lectora resize it down to 1009px in tablet view automatically (also easy). Problem solved? Not quite. It only works if the desktop view is exactly the same as tablet view. For every element that isn’t in the desktop view, the chaos from my examples above ensues.

Long story short: remove the “magic numbers” from Lectora, let us redefine 1009 and 785 and 480 to whatever we need.

This post has received 2 votes up.
    #325938 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Vasilis Kranias
    Vasilis Kranias
    beginner
    intermediate
    picture perfect
    curious george
    wise owl
    contributor
    @vkranias8417

Thank you for your time and advice. I will keep the numbers 1009 and 785 and 480.

#325946 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Darrel Somoza
    Darrel Somoza
    contributor
    friend finder
    beginner
    intermediate
    junior moderator
    advanced
    wise owl
    curious george
    199 pts
    @Klaatu

Even better would be to change the way it works entirely and go with standard media queries and external css sheets like everything else on the web.

#326190 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Jennifer Valley
    Jennifer Valley
    contributor
    beginner
    friend finder
    advanced
    lectora beginner
    verified member
    wise owl
    picture perfect
    curious george
    114 pts
    @jvalley4735

@ssneg – I shared your examples with the product team which will prompt them to look at the logic.

#326727 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Renota D
    Renota D
    beginner
    intermediate
    friend finder
    LUC16
    LUC16 Attendee
    wise owl
    curious george
    contributor
    advanced
    1 pt
    @rd4384

Indeed!

#342168 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Math Notermans
    Math Notermans
    contributor
    intermediate
    advanced
    friend finder
    junior moderator
    advocate
    LUC16 Attendee
    LUC16
    wise owl
    curious george
    118 pts
    @mnotermans5114

Allthough i do like Lectora’s responsiveness i have to agree with Sergey’s comment. Actually a question clients ask more and more lately is, the ‘limited’ size/scale of the desktop variant. Let me explain.

When designing a responsive course at a given size the mobile and tablet versions will fit nicely fullscreen. However depending on the size of your monitor, the desktop view is limited to a fixed, given size. So you have a limited blocked in view on your desktop. Offcourse you can tackle that by adding a htmlbackground, but that is still quite limited.

Clients i got now want the desktop being used completely too. Adaptive courses. As it is now Lectora doesnot offer that option. For that i have to use Elucidat, Rise, Adapt or Moodle with H5P. These tools offer that. I do not think you can compare these tools with Lectora, but i do think responsive/adaptive coursedesign might evolve into this direction.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.