Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of TomTom
    TomTom
    beginner
    intermediate
    wise owl
    friend finder
    curious george
    contributor
    @TomTom

I have created a material which is pretty large 120 pages and include test 10 question. When the client take the quiz the final score is saved into the database this part is working.

What I need is to be able to put the time into the database after clicking on the next button on each page. The reason for this Is the client can not take the quiz until spent 3 hours on the materials. Also if they close the material and then reopen again should only open . Unless somebody can tell me how to do this using the other way

#394055 Score: 0
    Profile photo of cmooraces
    cmooraces
    beginner
    intermediate
    curious george
    wise owl
    contributor
    1 pt
    @cmooraces

if you are using the time function in SCORM you can force Lectora to submit all variables to the database by executing an action on each page that is a go to web address and entering javascript:LMSCommit(). This will send all of the data to the LMS that is a persistent variable. I wouldn’t put it on the NEXT button but rather the first action on the next page which accomplishes the same goal. However, this results in a lot of extra of hits on the database and can bog down performance. The total time variable can be inconsistent too. I’ve had issues using this as the best method.

My courses limit the total access time to the course which counts down the time instead of up. But it’s the same thing as what you want just in reverse. I set a persistent variable called MasterTime and give it a value in seconds equivalent to the total time that they can access. Then on every page I put an action group that has one action that reduces the MasterTime variable by one. Finally, there is an action in the root of every page that runs that action group on an interval of 1 second. So every second, the MasterTime variable is reduced by one second which keeps time for what I want to accomplish.

One last thing. People can simply go to a page and let it sit for an hour which would count down the time without them doing anything. So I set an individual timer that counts down 10 minutes and resets on every page. If on any given page that timer reaches zero, I take them to a “timeout” page which has an action to reset the bookmark to the previous page visited, adds back the time that has been sapped by sitting on the previous page for 10 minutes and then closes the course after 60 seconds. Again, you can do the same thing in reverse.

Hope this helps.

#394086 Score: 0
    Profile photo of TomTom
    TomTom
    beginner
    intermediate
    wise owl
    friend finder
    curious george
    contributor
    @TomTom

I am not using scorm. can you give example on how to set the variables up I am a new to Lectora

#394090 Score: 0
    cmooraces
    beginner
    intermediate
    curious george
    wise owl
    contributor
    1 pt
    @cmooraces

If you are saving to the database, isn’t that SCORM? What LMS are you using?

The actions are the same regardless. But you need to have them be persistent variables when you setup the actions.

#394094 Score: 0
    Profile photo of TomTom
    TomTom
    beginner
    intermediate
    wise owl
    friend finder
    curious george
    contributor
    @TomTom

I am not using any LMS. It is just a table in my database. And the script that get called when the done button is clicked

#394098 Score: 0
    cmooraces
    beginner
    intermediate
    curious george
    wise owl
    contributor
    1 pt
    @cmooraces

Well then it’s a matter of how your data is being stored and retrieved. And it sounds like its a custom script so I’m afraid I may not be of much help. Without LMS variables and data storage/retrieval, its all about how you program the scripts to use the data. And that is a much larger question and solution than I will be able to provide.

#394102 Score: 0
    Profile photo of TomTom
    TomTom
    beginner
    intermediate
    wise owl
    friend finder
    curious george
    contributor
    @TomTom

Let say I can pull the data from the database but how can I assign values to lectora

#394556 Score: 0
    Profile photo of TomTom
    TomTom
    beginner
    intermediate
    wise owl
    friend finder
    curious george
    contributor
    @TomTom

Is anybody out there who have the same issue

#394614 Score: 0
    Profile photo of CarlFink
    CarlFink
    beginner
    intermediate
    contributor
    LUC16 Attendee
    wise owl
    curious george
    advanced
    friend finder
    48 pts
    @CarlFink

TomTom, to be honest: you haven’t described your problem clearly enough for anyone to help you.

#394620 Score: 0
    Profile photo of TomTom
    TomTom
    beginner
    intermediate
    wise owl
    friend finder
    curious george
    contributor
    @TomTom

I think the problem is clear, but I will try again. I have 100 + slides before the client can reach the final test and the there is a requirement 3 hours, So the client have spent at least 3 hours on the slides before going to the final test.

So i have decided to block on each page the next button for x number of minutes (determined by the material). When the button becomes available I want the client to move on to the next page as well saving to the database the page there were on and the amount of time spent. Because if the client comeback I do not want them to start all over again.

So the questions are:
    1. How can i set the script to run on every button click.
    2? How can I use the databse to setup the number of pages the client can already seen, so he/she do not have to go throught the timer again
    3. How to set times on each page

Hope made it clear

#394642 Score: 1
    Profile photo of Darrel Somoza
    Darrel Somoza
    contributor
    friend finder
    beginner
    intermediate
    junior moderator
    advanced
    wise owl
    curious george
    209 pts
    @Klaatu

1. Why aren’t you using an LMS? Moodle is FREE. It’ll properly track where your user left off and has an Attendance Register plugin that will do what you want at no cost.

2. If you do not want to use an LMS then why are you using Lectora at all? This sounds like a job much better suited to building from scratch without a rapid delivery authoring tool. Interfacing all what you are trying to pull off with Lectora, while possible, will be difficult.

You seem to be endeavoring to build your own little LMS. I assume you’ve already taken care of how you are tracking who’s actually taking the training (log-in system)?

If you were my client I would strongly advise the use of an LMS. Please do not take this the wrong way, I do not mean it to be disparaging in any way. The questions you ask lead me to believe that you are not an experienced programmer (front or back end) and therefore would need a lot of coding assistance. That means $$$. I’ll bet you can download, install and get something working with Moodle in a day without spending an additional dime even as a novice.

Switching gears now. To answer one of the questions from your first post, if you are receiving the content as JSON data from your database you can set up a loop and assign the retrieved data to pre-designated Lectora variables.

To answer your three questions from the last post:

1. How can i set the script to run on every button click?

I doubt you meant EVERY button click, right? Did you mean the “next” button or literally every time a participant clicks any button at all in your content? In either case you can put a run javascript action on any button you wish that will call your custom function (script).

2. How can I use the databse to setup the number of pages the client can already seen, so he/she do not have to go throught the timer again

Well, you could set up fields in your database to track the current page and last page visited. Your custom script would have to use this data to determine if the page has been visited BEFORE running the timer and skip the timer if it has.

3. How to set times on each page

Because there are different methods, you would need to elaborate on how you are tracking time to begin with.

Again, all this would be avoided and a lot more built in functionality would be available for your use if you used an LMS. Sorry, but I do not think you’ll find a simpler answer.

This post has received 1 vote up.
    #394644 Score: 0
    Profile photo of TomTom
    TomTom
    beginner
    intermediate
    wise owl
    friend finder
    curious george
    contributor
    @TomTom

The reason I do not use it because the LMS was not free

#394646 Score: 0
    Profile photo of TomTom
    TomTom
    beginner
    intermediate
    wise owl
    friend finder
    curious george
    contributor
    @TomTom

I am an experience programmer 15+years just never use Lectora before

#394993 Score: 0
    Profile photo of CarlFink
    CarlFink
    beginner
    intermediate
    contributor
    LUC16 Attendee
    wise owl
    curious george
    advanced
    friend finder
    48 pts
    @CarlFink

TomTom, Darrel recommended Moodle.

Moodle is free. Free of charge and Free Software.

#395931 Score: 0
    Profile photo of TomTom
    TomTom
    beginner
    intermediate
    wise owl
    friend finder
    curious george
    contributor
    @TomTom

Weel I do not want to use LMS. All I am asking is how to fire a click every button click while going to the next page

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.