Explore the community Forums Lectora Lectora Suggestions Question Creator – added functionality

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of The AV-ator
    The AV-ator
    advanced
    contributor
    beginner
    intermediate
    friend finder
    wise owl
    curious george
    picture perfect
    Group Member
    12 pts
    @TheAv-ator

I like the question creator as it provides a super simple way to program in questions and quizes and such. However, I’m not a big fan of only being able to assign a single action in the feedback or attempts tabs.

Currently, the creator allows you to specify a feedback item, and assign an action to it, typically a display message action that displays feedback in a popup window. But currently, it is limited to just this one action. If you have navigation that is predicated on them answering the question correctly or at least exhausting their maximum attempts, there’s no way to also have an action that changes the state of the Next button  or whatever navigation you want to accomplish. The only way to do this is to take everything outside of the question creator and create a custom action group that calls a custom text box and the action to change the state of the navigation button. Just seems like a lot of rigmarole to go through to add an additional action.

It would be nice to be able to specify multiple actions to associate with you feedback or max attempts instead of being limited to just one or having to completely customize everything.

Now, don’t get me wrong, I like the ability to completely customize everything and be able to do things like that and I do do that sort of customization – however, time doesn’t always allow for that and in a lot of cases I think it makes Lectora seem less user friendly to those not familiar with it and may scare them off into the waiting arms of Articulate and Adobe… and nobody wants that.

#382814 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Stan Miller
    Stan Miller
    beginner
    intermediate
    LUC16 Attendee
    wise owl
    contributor
    curious george
    friend finder
    LUC17 Attendee
    35 pts
    @smiller7502

One option might be to add a Submit button and show feedback when the question is processed instead of immediately. It’s then easy to add more actions to the Submit button, such as OnClick Enable Next if Question_0001 is correct.

Since many question types need a Submit button anyway, we typically add them to all questions so that the user experience is consistent.

But we’re also using the built-in feedback mechanism less and less. The pop-up is not optimal from a UX perspective; it isn’t attractive, the text is small and can’t easily be formatted, the learner has to click OK to clear the pop-up, etc. This doesn’t mean you can’t use the question creator; it just means you don’t enable feedback and design a different way to show the feedback. Yes, it’s some work to create that new method, but you can create it once and then save it as a library object or in a template.

#382870 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Daryl Fleary
    Daryl Fleary
    beginner
    intermediate
    advanced
    friend finder
    LUC16
    LUC16 Attendee
    contributor
    wise owl
    verified member
    17 pts
    @dfleary

Thanks for the suggestion.

One of things we have been doing over time, beginning with v11, is to elevate “buried” actions to make them more visible and accessible. For example, in vX and lower the actions for buttons and form objects (such as radio buttons) were inside a tab. You had to open the properties and select the On Click tab to see if there was an action. Now all button and form object actions are attached to the object and visible in the Title Explorer. And you can easily attach additional actions. We hope to do this for other actions in the future, including Feedback actions as you suggest, as well as potentially Hyperlink actions and Menu choice actions.

Daryl

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.