Explore the community Forums Lectora Lectora Questions & Answers quiz – answer choices in a scrolling list

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of cpliu
    cpliu
    beginner
    intermediate
    contributor
    curious george
    wise owl
    Group Member
    2 pts
    @cpliu

We have a long and ever-changing error list for different departments. The list is longer than a quiz page, and it changes sometimes. Some may have 2 levels.

In a quarterly quiz:

Given a situation, a student would click to choose multiple errors from the list. I have a Flash with scrolling menu that reads the data from XML. Click on an item from the scrolling list to make a selection. Usually there are 4 questions randomly selected from a library of 6 to 8. Each question has the same list.

I’m thinking about migrating to Lectora based approach. I can’t use the drop down list in Lectora because the list is too long and it needs to allow multiple selections. I can build the checkbox with layout that works with the screen but it will need manual update when there are changes.

I’m not sure about the best option, Javascript? CSS? XML? I look forward to any suggestions you may have.

Thanks for your help,

#363316 Score: 0
    Profile photo of cpliu
    cpliu
    beginner
    intermediate
    contributor
    curious george
    wise owl
    Group Member
    2 pts
    @cpliu

An variation of the same question:

In a quiz question, how can you set the choices to be enclosed in a scrolling box so we can put more text in it without changing the dimensions of the file?

Thanks,

#363380 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Darrel Somoza
    Darrel Somoza
    contributor
    friend finder
    beginner
    intermediate
    junior moderator
    advanced
    wise owl
    curious george
    209 pts
    @Klaatu

For the variation you can add some simple CSS and it will work in any browser.

.makeScroll {
    height: 35px!important;
    overflow-y:scroll!important;
    }

Type the above out in a text editor like notepad. Change the file extension from .txt to all files. Save this as myCSS.css.

Add an HTML Extension at the root level of your lesson. Choose type: Cascading Style Sheet. Browse for file and select the myCSS.css file you just made.

Now add the class ‘makeScroll’ without the quotes to any answer text box you need to make scrollable. You do this by selecting the text box – click properties – then in the appearance tab you click the little down arrow icon in the bottom right. Add the class makeScroll in the CSS popup.

Personally I’m not a big fan of doing this and would only use it when rewording or re-arranging things isn’t possible.

Regarding your original question. Using JSON would be an awesome option however  getting it to work with the built in questions in Inspire would be a total nightmare. It would be a huge move forward for this program to incorporate the use of JSON data to populate questions.

Attachments:
    1. scroll.zip
    #363517 Score: 0
    Profile photo of cpliu
    cpliu
    beginner
    intermediate
    contributor
    curious george
    wise owl
    Group Member
    2 pts
    @cpliu

Darrel, thanks for the help. It works great on a single choice text. Is there a way to have one scrolling field to include all choices in the question?

Thanks,

#363520 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Darrel Somoza
    Darrel Somoza
    contributor
    friend finder
    beginner
    intermediate
    junior moderator
    advanced
    wise owl
    curious george
    209 pts
    @Klaatu

I’m not sure I understand. You can do the above for each of the choices. Are you looking to make the whole question, including the checkboxes, scroll together? Basically have the question in a scrolling textbox?

#372823 Score: 0
    Profile photo of cpliu
    cpliu
    beginner
    intermediate
    contributor
    curious george
    wise owl
    Group Member
    2 pts
    @cpliu

Sorry that I missed the answer. Yes, I was thinking to have the whole question and choices in a scrolling area so we can have a long question with many choices in the same course stage.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.