Explore the community Forums Lectora Lectora Questions & Answers scorm error when using popups

Tagged: ,

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of corabusstra
    corabusstra
    @corabusstra

I have a course with a few questions opening in a popup window (using the goto action –> open page in new window. The name of the new window is ‘Popup’, don’t know if thats relevant?).

When I publish to html it works fine. When I publish to SCORM, within my LMS (Blackboard), I get a SCORM error ‘unable to find an API adapter’.
    It seems that the question in the popup window causes the LMS to initiate a new SCO. But what I want is to use SCO that is already open in the parent window. Is this possible, how?

#286009 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Altarium
    Altarium
    @Altarium

If you’re using v11, the action you should be using is “Display Page in Popup”. If you’re using Lectora X, you would want to use “Display Popup” (if I remember correctly), and from there you select a custom popup page (i.e. the popup you created).

Using the Go To action (when telling it to open a new window) will indeed have your popup page try to start a new SCO. Since you’re essentially telling your course to open a new webpage, separate from the course, and the popup page (as part of your SCORM course) is then looking for an API.

Let me know if this works for you!

#286013 Score: 0
    corabusstra
    @corabusstra

thanks for your reply.
    I tried your suggestion to use ‘display page in popup’ , but no, it didn’t work, still the ‘unable to find API’ error message, when page opened in popup. Do you know other solutions?
    (by the way, i’m using lectora v11)

#286008 Score: 0
    Altarium
    @Altarium

hmm… have you tried uploading the course to scorm cloud? If you test it there and it works, that would point to an issue with your LMS. If it doesn’t work in scorm cloud, it’s definitely something wrong with the course. If that’s the case, maybe you can zip up your title to me and I can take a look at it.

#286012 Score: 0
    corabusstra
    @corabusstra

sorry for the delayed response….because of holidays…

I tried to upload to SCORM cloud and the same error message.

Attached a small demo course with only one question and a popup containing one question, for testing purposes (so it is not necassary to search a large course for the pages with the popup problem).

I hope you can tell me what I did wrong.

thanks for your help!

#286005 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Jill Searcy
    Jill Searcy
    beginner
    intermediate
    friend finder
    contributor
    wise owl
    picture perfect
    1 pt
    @jsearcy

Looking at your file, I don’t see a test object. Try adding that and then test it again.

#286010 Score: 0
    Altarium
    @Altarium

ok, looking at the title, it was set to publish to SCORM 2004 standards, which I know have issues in how they handle popups. I don’t know enough about 2004 to get you much more info than that… BUT publishing to SCORM 1.2 standards fixed the problem and the popup worked as expected!

#286014 Score: 0
    corabusstra
    @corabusstra

Thanks publishing top SCORM 1.2 did the trick!!

However, my course is a little large and with SCORM 1.2 I got problems with the maximum suspend data size. Any suggestions, other than just splitting the course in several parts?

#286011 Score: 0
    Altarium
    @Altarium

Is it the sort of course that you need to prompt the user to “return to last page visited”? If not, deselecting that should fix the suspend data problem. Other than that, when using SCORM1.2 I’m not sure of any other way to avoid going over the data limit besides breaking it into smaller courses… someone else on here might have better tips though!

#286006 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Tim K
    Tim K
    contributor
    beginner
    intermediate
    advanced
    friend finder
    junior moderator
    advocate
    wise owl
    curious george
    Group Member
    355 pts
    @timk

Make sure you retain only those variables between sessions that you really need. Shorten the variable names if possible.

Tim

#286007 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Paul
    Paul
    @Paul

I too have been experiencing SCORM API errors when opening a new window from a Go To action. What seemed to solve it for me was making sure each link was set to open using a Window Style of New Browser Window. We also made sure that when publishing (HTML or SCORM) that the Lightbox option was not ticked. This has worked for us, hopefully it might for you as well.

Paul

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.