Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of clammers
    clammers
    beginner
    intermediate
    contributor
    curious george
    wise owl
    picture perfect
    friend finder
    advanced
    entry
    entry
    20 pts
    @clammers

Can anyone assist me in replacing the Mail To action previously in Lectora? I have previously used this action in a few instances throughout several courses and now have to go back and update all of these. Scanning for forums, I found a post on creating the following javascript:

var email = “sample@mail.com”;
    var subject = “My Notes”;
    var body = Var_NoteSummary.getValue();

window.location.href = “mailto:” + email + “?subject=” + subject +”&body=” +body

However, when I implement this, all I get is a white screen when I Run/Preview/Preview in Browser. Further, I need the ability to create several mailto actions: as there are multiple e-mail addresses throughout the course.

Any help is appreciated.

#423580 Score: 0
    Profile photo of CarlFink
    CarlFink
    beginner
    intermediate
    contributor
    LUC16 Attendee
    wise owl
    curious george
    advanced
    22 pts
    @CarlFink

To clarify for my benefit: do you want to mail the contents of the Lectora page somewhere, or open a new message in the student’s own mail program (e. g. Outlook)?

#423624 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Darrel Somoza
    Darrel Somoza
    contributor
    friend finder
    beginner
    intermediate
    junior moderator
    advanced
    wise owl
    curious george
    199 pts
    @Klaatu

Hi, Clammers. It looks like you found an old post of mine. Here it is working in version 18. If you have any problems or need something different let us know.

Attachments:
    1. Send-Email.zip
    #423709 Score: 1
    Profile photo of Bob Dinkins
    Bob Dinkins
    beginner
    intermediate
    lab member
    LUC17 Attendee
    wise owl
    contributor
    2 pts
    @bobdinkins

All I want is what I used to have.  Click and link and an email client opens with the email address in the “to” line.  I’ve tried the javascript and it doesn’t work.  Any ideas before I dump Lectora all together and use something else?

This post has received 1 vote up.
    #423717 Score: 0
    Darrel Somoza
    contributor
    friend finder
    beginner
    intermediate
    junior moderator
    advanced
    wise owl
    curious george
    199 pts
    @Klaatu

If you tried what I posted and it didn’t work you are most likely doing something incorrect. I understand your frustration; I do most of my work from scratch without a delivery authoring tool as it gives me much more freedom to do whatever I want without bloated wonky code but this one is easily rectified.

This line window.location.href = ‘mailto:bob@dinkins.com’ will do exactly what you said you want to happen. If you copy and paste this into a run javascript action it will open the users email client with bob@dinkins.com already in the To: address. Nothing else.

You are publishing to check, correct, not just using the built in preview? Also, the machine you are working on has an email client set up, right?

Let me know how it works.

#423752 Score: 0
    clammers
    beginner
    intermediate
    contributor
    curious george
    wise owl
    picture perfect
    friend finder
    advanced
    entry
    entry
    20 pts
    @clammers

I agree with Bob –  I just need something simple that will create a new email message (in the user’s email client) with the address in the ‘TO’ field. In my situation, if I want to provide a list of e-mail addresses within the body text of a page, all I need is a hyperlink to ‘MailTo’ the given address. For example, “Please contact JohnDoe@email.com for questions regarding this section of the training.”

Darrel, the solution you  provided works properly and is good for filling out a form; I have used something similar for other applications. However, it’s more involved that what is needed (and what was offered previously in Lectora).

#423828 Score: 0
    Profile photo of carmelo moschella
    carmelo moschella
    beginner
    intermediate
    friend finder
    Group Member
    wise owl
    @cmoschella3010

Hi All,  My solution was to go back to my Lectora Version 17 and then copy and paste into Lectora Version 18 any icons that had the send email action attached . This approach seems to work for me. I agree with  Clammers  a simpler solution within Lectora Version 18 would be better.

Cheers all!

#423835 Score: 0
    Darrel Somoza
    contributor
    friend finder
    beginner
    intermediate
    junior moderator
    advanced
    wise owl
    curious george
    199 pts
    @Klaatu

As Carmelo suggested (good suggestion by the way) here is a button library object from v17 with email action attached. Add to your library objects.

It is, however, advantageous to learn and use a little bit of JavaScript but I understand this is easier.

• This reply was modified 4 months, 4 weeks ago by Profile photo of Darrel Somoza Darrel Somoza. Reason: typo
    Attachments:
    1. Email-Button.awo
    #423864 Score: 0
    clammers
    beginner
    intermediate
    contributor
    curious george
    wise owl
    picture perfect
    friend finder
    advanced
    entry
    entry
    20 pts
    @clammers

Thanks, all. I’ve been copying-and-pasting the action from prior courses, so this is much easier. However, it doesn’t solve the issue with in in-text hyperlinks. I can use this as a workaround, but <span style=”text-decoration: underline;”>please</span> Lectora, bring back this action.

#423878 Score: 0
    Darrel Somoza
    contributor
    friend finder
    beginner
    intermediate
    junior moderator
    advanced
    wise owl
    curious george
    199 pts
    @Klaatu

Here’s the email action on a block of text that is styled to look like an email link (underline and different color). Just add to your library then when you add it to your page change the text to match the address you put in the action.

Attachments:
    1. Email-Text.awo
    #423934 Score: 0
    Bob Dinkins
    beginner
    intermediate
    lab member
    LUC17 Attendee
    wise owl
    contributor
    2 pts
    @bobdinkins

I appreciate your help, but it’s not working for me.

Using the “Send Email.awt” you sent I created a button on the page where you have the message box.  I gave it the action OnMouseClick > Run JavaScript > window.location.href = ‘mailto:bob@dinkins.com’.  Then published.  The only thing that appears is a blank page.  It doesn’t matter which browser I view it in.  I’m viewing locally, not served.

#423952 Score: 0
    Darrel Somoza
    contributor
    friend finder
    beginner
    intermediate
    junior moderator
    advanced
    wise owl
    curious george
    199 pts
    @Klaatu

Bob, do you have a mail client, like outlook, on that computer? If there is a mail client it should open up a new email with your address loaded in. Doesn’t matter if it is on a server.

You can also try to import the email button object from my other post and then just drag it into a page and change the address in the action. To import the awo, you first save it (desktop works fine) and then open up your “my library” tab in Lectora. Double click the library objects folder and then add file. Browse to where you saved the awo and select it. Now you can drag it into any project and just change the address.

#423957 Score: 0
    Bob Dinkins
    beginner
    intermediate
    lab member
    LUC17 Attendee
    wise owl
    contributor
    2 pts
    @bobdinkins

I have Outlook and it’s open.  I just published the “email button.awt” file as you sent it.  The button shows but it nothing happens.  That’s the issue I found in the first place.  The Send Email action shows since it was put in with an older version of Lectora, but Trivantis took out the code behind it, so it doesn’t work any longer.  It’s very frustrating that they would do that.

#423959 Score: 0
    Darrel Somoza
    contributor
    friend finder
    beginner
    intermediate
    junior moderator
    advanced
    wise owl
    curious george
    199 pts
    @Klaatu

There is something wrong with your computer. Both of the solutions I posted work fine. It appears your computer is not defaulting email to a client application. Does any email link in another application open up your outlook?

#423961 Score: 0
    Bob Dinkins
    beginner
    intermediate
    lab member
    LUC17 Attendee
    wise owl
    contributor
    2 pts
    @bobdinkins

I think you are exactly right.  I found a website that had an email link (hard to find, by the way) and it didn’t work.  Thanks for helping me with this.

Now, on to research this computer issue!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.