Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Ian Mullineaux
    Ian Mullineaux
    beginner
    intermediate
    friend finder
    wise owl
    picture perfect
    1 pt
    @IanMullineaux

Hi

I have a session variable called UserID in my website – i need to get that value into lectora to use within the elearning modules –

Is there any way that I can read a session variable into a variable within lectora?

Any guidance would be grately appreciated

thanks

Ian

#288323 Score: 0
    Profile photo of hem99004
    hem99004
    beginner
    intermediate
    friend finder
    5 pts
    @hem99004

You’ll have to add some code to your website so the session variable is appended to the launch location of your course. Basically your URL to launch the course would look like: [url]http://mysite/mycourse/index.html?userid=datafromsession[/url]

Then, on the first page of your Lectora course you could use JavaScript to grab the data from the URL and set it to a Lectora variable for use in the course.

Let me know if that helps or if you need some code samples.

#288330 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Sergey Snegirev
    Sergey Snegirev
    contributor
    intermediate
    advanced
    friend finder
    lab member
    junior moderator
    advocate
    LUC16
    LUC16 Attendee
    wise owl
    336 pts
    @ssneg

The above solution is a good one. Just to provide an alternative, here’s a suggestion. You can use JavaScript to issue a GET request to the server and get the UserID in response. That will probably require adding an extra file or an extra function to your website, but you won’t have to mess with course launch URLs.

#288326 Score: 0
    Ian Mullineaux
    beginner
    intermediate
    friend finder
    wise owl
    picture perfect
    1 pt
    @IanMullineaux

Thanks for your replies..

Yes, I could do with some guidance if you dont mind – I’m fine with quite a bit of lectora but I have never used javascript in it, and to be honest done very little with javascript in any other way…

Any help would be appreciated..

Ian

#288324 Score: 0
    hem99004
    beginner
    intermediate
    friend finder
    5 pts
    @hem99004

What language is your website written in? PHP, Java, ASP, Ruby, etc… ?

#288327 Score: 0
    Ian Mullineaux
    beginner
    intermediate
    friend finder
    wise owl
    picture perfect
    1 pt
    @IanMullineaux

The site is written in php

#288325 Score: 0
    hem99004
    beginner
    intermediate
    friend finder
    5 pts
    @hem99004

OK – this should be fun. So as noted there are a couple ways you can go about this. The first is to append the user ID to the launch url. This means you would need to edit your site code. I’m not sure how your courses are launched but if it were a simple anchor tag it would look something like this:

We are just using PHP to output the session ID to the end of the launch URL.

Now in Lectora open the variable manager and make a new variable called “user_id”
    If you want to have this variable be available on every page you can put an action at the course level with the following:
    On Show
    Target: user_id
    Type: Set Equal to
    Value: VAR(user_id)

All that does is sets the variable equal to itself, but it will also make that variable available on every page.

Now, to set our variable equal to the user id we are passing in you will need to add an external HTML object.
    Name it whatever you want. For the type user “Custom DIV” and click on “Edit” and put this code in there:

Code:

That should do it and you should be able to use the lectora variable of user_id wherever you want.

If this solution won’t work for you we can write a php script that you can put on your server whose whole purpose is to just return the session variable of the user id. Then, we can use an external HTML object in Lectora with AJAX or jQuery to call it and get the user id back so we can set it to a lectora variable and use it in there.

I know this is a lot – let me know if it helps.

#288328 Score: 0
    Ian Mullineaux
    beginner
    intermediate
    friend finder
    wise owl
    picture perfect
    1 pt
    @IanMullineaux

Hi

Thanks for all this – its great.. I will try it out later and see i f i can get it working.

Just a bit of background – i have a website which contains some learning modules. When a module is completed I have been using the submit variables action to pass the module information to a php script which picked up the session variable and wrote all the data into a database.

All works very well external to the Trust network. Internally, we have to paths out of the Trust network. One is working fine, but the other looses the session variable intermittently – i presume it may be something to do with timeout but not sure. Whilst our IT dept may be able to fix it, I am pretty sure that if i can pass the userID in an url parameter to the php script – along with the other information it will resolve the issue.

I’ll let you know how I get on with the guide you have given – thanks very much for taking the time to help

Ian

#288331 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Sergey Snegirev
    Sergey Snegirev
    contributor
    intermediate
    advanced
    friend finder
    lab member
    junior moderator
    advocate
    LUC16
    LUC16 Attendee
    wise owl
    336 pts
    @ssneg

@hem99004 60723 wrote:

If you want to have this variable be available on every page you can put an action at the course level with the following:
    On Show
    Target: user_id
    Type: Set Equal to
    Value: VAR(user_id)

All that does is sets the variable equal to itself, but it will also make that variable available on every page.

Again, a side note. You can assign any variable as “required variable” to your script and it’ll be initialised everywhere where your script is. It’s a cleaner and safer way to make sure your Lectora variables are accessible from JS.

#288329 Score: 0
    Ian Mullineaux
    beginner
    intermediate
    friend finder
    wise owl
    picture perfect
    1 pt
    @IanMullineaux

Hi

Thanks again for the help.

I have tried your suggestion and it doesnt appear to be working..

The url i am using to start the module in the browser is:

http://www.nwaslearningzone.net/test/index.html?userID=10

I have made a one page test module.

At the top level I have the action to make the variable available to all pages
    Underneath that, the html object with the javascript in
    then a page with an on show event to display the user_id variable on the page.

The variable isnt receiving the url parameter for some reason.

Would this be because when the module is opened from the web page it is done so in a new window? Or have I done something wrong?

I have zipped up the module and attached it. If you could have a quick look it would be appreciated.

#320602 Score: 0
    Profile photo of TomTom
    TomTom
    beginner
    intermediate
    wise owl
    friend finder
    curious george
    contributor
    @TomTom

HI Guys I just tried the same thing but it does not work for me

#321004 Score: 0
    Ian Mullineaux
    beginner
    intermediate
    friend finder
    wise owl
    picture perfect
    1 pt
    @IanMullineaux

On my modules that receive a userid via url parameter i have an opening page which is a welcome page – whenever anyone starts a module the first page that opens i call a flash page – this can contain anything such as objectives, and is only visited once  – all the content comes after this page

On the page I have an action which is set to run on show..

It is a run javascript action and the content is

var tmp = window.location.search.substring(1);
    var getUID = tmp.split(“=”);
    VarUserID.set(getUID[1]);

You also need to go to tools>variables and create a new variable called UserID

UserID is where the URL parameter is stored..

the link to start the module would be index.html?UID=xxx   where xxx is the userid.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.