Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Trav Owers
    Trav Owers
    beginner
    intermediate
    friend finder
    advanced
    junior moderator
    contributor
    2 pts
    @towers9815

The Saba LMS (using Score 1.2) is reported Tracking data is full. (I am not sure why this issue is not more common problem)

First I have a 200 page course (I know! So much for snack learn this course is the equivalent of the 76 oz steak Texas challenge). There are few questions throughout the course.

And it has 60 questions at end in a quiz. Now when I view the tracking data I can see the question response text from questions in other parts of the course?!

I don’t think need Lectora to retain all of this ! What can I do ?

I has been suggested by our vendor out here “The work around you can try is publish to SCORM 2004 or replace question text and choices with single character and place a text block with the actual content on top”

This is unacceptable solution. Developers using my templates can use the nice and simple edit question function.

I do have a few ideas of course but would love to hear some feedback.

Oh for the record I had ideas like much shorter variable names, at the start of the assessment setting all question variables to be equal to ” ” (rather than ~~~null~~~) Oddly ~~~null~~~ is how Lectora stores “empty’ fields.

Why is the question response text being stored? How can I stop it?

Thanks thanks

#299662 Score: 0
    Trav Owers
    beginner
    intermediate
    friend finder
    advanced
    junior moderator
    contributor
    2 pts
    @towers9815

Also I cant seem to change the Names of variables for questions. Lectora wont seem to retain shorter names for Questions. (I know Question_39876 vs Q12 will only save a few characters in my suspend data but desperate times).

Still there is no way that Lectora should be recording the learner response for some questions:

e.g.
    LMSGetValue for cmi.suspend_data = VarQuestion_39831=All%20the%20above;

This is worse with longer responses e.g.

VarQuestion_40232=Checking%20all%20risks%20before%20undertaking%20the%20task%20;

• This reply was modified 3 years, 7 months ago by Profile photo of Trav Owers Trav Owers.
    #299678 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Trivantis Support
    Trivantis Support
    friend finder
    intermediate
    advanced
    contributor
    junior moderator
    Trivantis Support
    verified member
    wise owl
    curious george
    19 pts
    @Support

Are you wanting to capture interaction data but exclude the response text? Or do you not need the interaction data at all?

#299771 Score: 0
    Trav Owers
    beginner
    intermediate
    friend finder
    advanced
    junior moderator
    contributor
    2 pts
    @towers9815

Well I don’t need the question interaction but does not Lectora need it to figure out the test score?

#299779 Score: 0
    Trivantis Support
    friend finder
    intermediate
    advanced
    contributor
    junior moderator
    Trivantis Support
    verified member
    wise owl
    curious george
    19 pts
    @Support

No Lectora can do the scoring inside the browser window. You can turn off reporting the interaction data to your LMS in the publish options and that will free up space.

#299796 Score: 0
    Trav Owers
    beginner
    intermediate
    friend finder
    advanced
    junior moderator
    contributor
    2 pts
    @towers9815

Many thanks for that Mr/Mrs Support !

[ ] The published course will report Test/Survey Question interactions to the LMS.

So this option was ticked on the SCORM Publishing Options. So unticking this mean that the occasional questions text i was seeing the suspend tracking data will not longer be added there by the course>. I will test that and see if it works.

Will the course still be able to report the learns AICC Score and course status?

But why was only some of my question response text is ending up in the tracking data ?

#299816 Score: 0
    Trivantis Support
    friend finder
    intermediate
    advanced
    contributor
    junior moderator
    Trivantis Support
    verified member
    wise owl
    curious george
    19 pts
    @Support

Yes, the course will still report the score and completion status. Those items are just built into the SCORM functions. The Interactions option only affects storing the individual questions and responses, not their scores.

Did you have any free-form text or essay style questions? Because those fields can allow for a lot of text they are not stored in the interaction data.

#300253 Score: 0
    Trav Owers
    beginner
    intermediate
    friend finder
    advanced
    junior moderator
    contributor
    2 pts
    @towers9815

Well I am afraid it still going on. My Assessment does have 60 question in it (I know I know)

All my questions are just Multi Choice or Multi Response.

I still dont know what makes some question text appear in the suspend data. None of them should ever be there.

Any advise on this would be much appreciated. This is only so much I can share as its an internal course content.

#300256 Score: 0
    Trav Owers
    beginner
    intermediate
    friend finder
    advanced
    junior moderator
    contributor
    2 pts
    @towers9815

What if I turn off retain answers for Assessment questions ?

What if the learner closes the Assessment and returns ? Will all other answers be lost ? ( I think so)

#300315 Score: 1
    Profile photo of Joe Wieloch
    Joe Wieloch
    beginner
    intermediate
    friend finder
    contributor
    LUC16 Attendee
    verified member
    wise owl
    LUC17 Attendee
    advanced
    picture perfect
    42 pts
    @wheels

Hi Trav,

Yes if you turn off retain answers between sessions then the answers will not be saved between one course session to the next.  That is surely what is taking up your suspend data space, we save the exact choice text for a number of reasons.

There are a few ways to shorten what is saved but it involves more work.  For example, you could make your choice text 1., 2., 3., 4. and then put text blocks describing the choice after the choice number.  Not ideal, but a possibility. You could also use a variable to collect the answers but this would involved actions for clearing and setting the answer choices each time the question is answered, and actions to set the question when the page is shown based on the answer in the collection variable.  The forums might even have some better ideas on this, sorry I don’t have more time to flush out all the details here.

If these are knowledge check questions then maybe you could look at not retaining them.  I know sometimes in assessments if they are taken over then the questions are usually reset for the new attempt.  I guess it really depends on how you want your course to act, if you are resetting the test then it doesn’t make sense (if my thinking is correct) to retain the answers.

Hope this helps or at least gives you some more insight.

– Joe

This post has received 1 vote up.
    #300332 Score: 0
    Trav Owers
    beginner
    intermediate
    friend finder
    advanced
    junior moderator
    contributor
    2 pts
    @towers9815

Hey thanks Joe

It was already advised here by our vendor out here “The work around you can try is publish to SCORM 2004 or replace question text and choices with single character and place a text block with the actual content on top”. Which is very similar to your approach. When I first heard this I though it was ridiculous for an approach.

But hearing it lot is really useful that there is at least a way to fix this problem but it seems like a massive block to use of Lectora. (Afraid that these questions are part of the assessment. For all the knowledge check questions I already have retain questions unticked.)

It’s not me who is making the course. I build the page layouts for developers. This issues seriously undermines my ability to recommend to the developers I advise.

I do hope there might be another approach.

Many thanks

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.