Explore the community Forums Lectora Lectora Questions & Answers SWFs in media and mediaplayer folder

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of cpliu
    cpliu
    beginner
    intermediate
    contributor
    curious george
    wise owl
    Group Member
    2 pts
    @cpliu

In a published folder, there are media and MediaPlayer folder inside. Each has a SWF inside. What are they used for? It seems OK by removing them. Are they needed for any reason?

In MediaPlayer folder, there are also xap, css, png (skins), gif files. Under what condition will they be needed?

With Flash EOL coming, our IT will check for SWF files and disallow publishing with SWFs inside. When will Lectora publish courses without any SWF inside?

Thanks,

#406798 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Lazaro Perez
    Lazaro Perez
    beginner
    intermediate
    curious george
    wise owl
    friend finder
    contributor
    Group Member
    picture perfect
    advanced
    28 pts
    @sirwise23

We have the same issue with CornerStone.  I have to manually delete the SWF file each time.

#406824 Score: 0
    Profile photo of CarlFink
    CarlFink
    beginner
    intermediate
    contributor
    LUC16 Attendee
    wise owl
    curious george
    advanced
    13 pts
    @CarlFink

What version of Lectora? 17.0 is not doing that, when I publish for AICC.

#407645 Score: 0
    Profile photo of timjones
    timjones
    beginner
    intermediate
    friend finder
    wise owl
    @timjones

Are the player.swf file in the media folder and flashmediaelement.swf in the MediaPlayer folder only there for delivery as Flash if supported by the OS and/or browser? We’re converting all content to HTML5 in preparation for moving to Microsoft Edge. Determining whether I need to do anything about those swf files or leave them. Not sure if Edge will just auto deliver the HTML5 equivalent video player controls.

Sounds like maybe Lectora 17 publishes without the swf files at all?

#407910 Score: 1
    Profile photo of CarlFink
    CarlFink
    beginner
    intermediate
    contributor
    LUC16 Attendee
    wise owl
    curious george
    advanced
    13 pts
    @CarlFink

SWF can be used in 17, but it won’t be generated by Lectora. You can embed a SWF from another source if you insist, but modern web browsers will mostly then refused to play them, so don’t.

This post has received 1 vote up.
    #408109 Score: 1
    Profile photo of Jennifer Valley
    Jennifer Valley
    contributor
    beginner
    friend finder
    advanced
    lectora beginner
    verified member
    wise owl
    picture perfect
    curious george
    113 pts
    @jvalley4735

According to our development team, these SWFs may appear in case Internet Explorer 8 is used if you’re using a version before 16.1. WIth 16.1 we released HTML5 media players which don’t produce SWFs. Deleting them shouldn’t be an issue.

I believe in one of the next upcoming releases we should be including a publishing option for HTML only like Lectora Online currently has. The feature is described on the Lectora Online section of the website as such: “Select the “HTML5 Only (no Flash included)” publish option to exclude the Flash media player (swf) files from the published content that are used for fallback on older browsers. This will ensure you can successfully import the course into any LMS that disables the use of Flash.” So no more deleting if the option is turned on 🙂

This post has received 1 vote up.
    #408171 Score: 0
    Profile photo of timjones
    timjones
    beginner
    intermediate
    friend finder
    wise owl
    @timjones

Thanks, that matches what I’m seeing when I re-publish using 16. Fortunately the LMS does not yet care if there is a .swf present in the SCORM package, even if it isn’t used. Appreciate the responses!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.